User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Brotherhood of truckers (helping others).

This is a story about one of my runs and how i was helped by a thoughtful fellow trucker. I'm a rookie driver. I was driving a route I had never been to. I was hauling a reefer van. I was driving at night and I passed the major city, and there was no major cities for a couple hundred miles. As I was driving, I missed a shift, and I came to a stop. When i stopped, the engine shutt off. I tried to re-start it but it wouldn't start . I then realized.. I was out of fuel!! There were no other cars around and I was in the middle of nowhere at night. I put on the four-ways and tried to use my cell.

My cell wouldn't work, so i went out and put the warning sings out 30ft behind my truck. I had no flares, so I just used all the warning objects I had. After a few hours, I got on the CB (which I had never used and didn't know how to use it.). I somehow got on the CB, and asked for help. I heard a few drivers talking about my truck, warning others to look out for me stopped in the slow lane. One of the truckers said that he sees my truck, and he told me to come ride along with him and he'll take me to the nearest town so i could get fuel. I got my stuff and walked over to where he was stopped. He gave me a ride to the next town, and I was able to get help. I am so greatful that there are drivers who go out of their way to help others.
I know that if I ever see a car or truck that seems to have broken down, I'll stop and see how I can help them.

Cheers!
thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 AM

Glad it worked out for you!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 AM
Board Regular

Don't be afraid of the cb. Sadly there are too many drivers that don't turn it on. Many times I've tried call another truck (for whatever reason) and they never answer back. I've seen trucks sitting on the side of the road and they glance at the radio when you ask them if they need help. Glad everything worked out for you and also taught you a small, embarrassing lesson.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Rookie

alot of drivers have forgotten the era of helping one another. todays driver is all about me, me, me, how does it serve me.
i've only done this for 9 years in feb.08, but i have helped my fair share of drivers. i pulled one off of a depression when his trailer dropped on his drives, or the one that ran outa fuel on the way to get some in oklahoma, or then there is the one that crashed in ohio in the the fog and on ice. nobody was listening to the radio and i blocked both lanes until there were questions on why i was doing it.
then there is me. in idaho, i stopped to help at a four wheeler rollover and got stuck on the shoulder and was sliding toward the right every time i let off the clutch. i was there for 4 hours and only a SWIFT driver with a parking lot stopped to help. i had to call a wreaker. ops: ops: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM

My hubby drives over I-80 Nevada/California alot. He learned last winter to pack extra snacks for himself and other 4-wheelers around because when it snows you get stuck in those mountains for hours and hours. Sometimes overnight.
The highway patrol actually came around to the trucks asking for bottles of water/snacks for families that have NOTHING in their vehicles for their families.

Also every winter there are at least a few drivers that my hubby has to show how to put chains on. One driver that my hubby showed just the other day offered him $10 for showing him.
My hubby said no thanks just pay it forward and show the next driver how to do it.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

My husband has put out Two truck fires neither of which were his. I cant remember right off hand where they were but I know one was in a crowded parking lot in was trying to find parking and corner out of his eye seen a flicker, Stopped the truck ran with his fire extinguisher. Started pounding on the door of the truck to wake the sleeping trucker. Then started to put it out, he ran back to his truck as it was blocking traffic.

Second was a O/O on the side of the road with a truck fire, guy was just standing there watching it burn. My husband was confused as to render help or if he just was gonna let her burn. Walked up asked if he wanted help putting it out. Driver said yes, not sure why he wasn't putting it out himself. Anyway disco lights appeared in the distance and my husband had to go. My husband helps when he can.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM

Back in the late 60's i used to go out with my grandfather in Kansas to put up new billboards adds along the hiways. Funny how i remember he used to wave at every driver from the other direction, not a big wave but just a raise of the finger at the top of the steering wheel to say howdy. Times have changed and everybody is in thier own little world and all they have to offer is ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!

peaceout,
fuelman
Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 PM

Alot of drivers don't use the C.B for help because of something called Qualcom.You can send in a break down message and the company sends help.No problem.Modern technology,good or bad?