User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default newbee on the road

as a new driver what should be some of the thing i ask before sighing. i have a company im looking at. this will be my first time out monday. im from the deep south and have never drove in snow what should i do.
oh im a 35 year old devoriced male that has never done nothing but work. this is a big change in my life. my girl just turned 18 so i have nothing holding me back. i got thought cdl school 12/7/2007 any info. will help on wat should i expect when i get out of my home state of ga. and on the road. would teams be something i need to think about right now?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Default Re: newbee on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyg
as a new driver what should be some of the thing i ask before sighing. i have a company im looking at. this will be my first time out monday. im from the deep south and have never drove in snow what should i do.
oh im a 35 year old devoriced male that has never done nothing but work. this is a big change in my life. my girl just turned 18 so i have nothing holding me back. i got thought cdl school 12/7/2007 any info. will help on wat should i expect when i get out of my home state of ga. and on the road. would teams be something i need to think about right now?
I'm a rookie driver and this Monday will be the third week of training for me. I do not have years of experience but I've done alot for a guy still in training. I've drove in the mountains of Kingston,PA....I've drove in the heavy traffic of Queens and Long Island,NY and I've already driven in the snow.
In everything that you do while on the road Take Your Time. If you're unsure about anything always slow down. Always try to keep your cool. Familarize your self with your atlas and trip planning should be a big part of what you do on a daily basis.

You should ask your company about home time/ miles per week/ benifits/ layover pay/ fuel and toll cards/ pay scale.

I hope that I was some what helpful. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Please tell me you are heading out with a trainer and not just out on your own. Not that it can't be done as some here have done just that. It's just with a trainer the learning curve is a lot less sever.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Please tell me you are heading out with a trainer and not just out on your own. Not that it can't be done as some here have done just that. It's just with a trainer the learning curve is a lot less sever.
Man is that an understatement;

not only would that "learning curve" be lot less sever.
But the $$$ cost for that kind "self- education" experience- could bankrupt a guy quick.

good luck to ya in any event.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Board Regular
Default Help for the rookie

My first piece of advice is to drive your own ride. If you are in snow and ice, you should be in the right lane and run slow. Do not get intimidated by idiots running fast in ice. The main point to driving in bad weather is to give yourself a lot of room. You need to be confident that you can stop in any condition. If you are running right up on the guy in front of you, you will not be able to stop if he has a problem. I will drive in very bad snow and ice if i can maintain a large space around me. That is the most important tip in winter driving.