User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Criminal record- Speculative comment.

Boys and girls hear this. If you have EVER had any sort of FELONY activity involving ANY court action; You are may have a difficult time finding a job.
Nine years ago I left the industry to for another career. The commitment to the HVAC profession proved to be too much. So, why not go back to driving? At least it's easier. Right?
Using this sites trucking companies comp list I have aplied to those that had limited felony time restrictions. ( note: I had to choose those that offered training as my experience is not receint ) Example: 'no felony in last 10 tears' Well the actual applications asks 'have you EVER had a conviction'. I had 2 felony court actions FORTY years ago!!! Probation before verdict on both counts.
It does not matter now. ANY impropriety on you record and you are unemployable.
None of the companies have told me this was the reason for their turn down. This is speculation. I hope I am totally off base about this.
Good luck.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Board Member

This is just MHO but I think there must be something else there. I can't see someone holding something that happened 40 years ago against you. Do a check on yourself. Pull your DAC, crminal history, credit report, ect...
With ID theft as it is today there may be something there that you don't know about.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Maybe the nature of the felony conviction (such as drug, weapons, violence) has something to do with it?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The best way to find out if it is harming your chances of getting back into this business is to ask those who have turned you down. Something that happened 40 years ago should not have much of an impact on today. If it were me I would be on the phone with some of those companies where you have applied and ask them. That is the best way to find out.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Rookie
Default Criminal record issues

First of all guys, I really wasn't looking for advise but I appretiate you r comments anyway.
I'll address one by one. Ridgerunner: DAC good. Credit VERY good. Waiting on fingerprint card from Maryland to get records. Maybe they don't want to hire an old guy. Roadhog: Read closer. The charges were not convictions. I can vote and buy guns legally over the counter. Have Ga. firearms permit.
Gman: An employer is NOT going to tell you why they have turned you down. EEOC rules can be sketchy. Therefore an appeal would make them have to jump thru some various hoops. Do you think they are volintarily invite a court action? Of course not.
Everyone please note: My post was simply a caution to others. A FYI note. In other words; a consideration for others who may have criminal records.
My plan is to get a copy of my records and volintarily give it to an employer right off the bat. That way I won't waste my time.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

No advise here.

Good for you Honesty works best. Hope the right job comes along.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrookie
Roadhog: Read closer. The charges were not convictions.
Okay. But I did read there was a disposition of probation. That suggests you had a plea agreement on a felony charge, due to a felony arrest. The terms of this probation might have read a suspension of charges during the probation period, with your charges expunged, or dropped, depending upon a successful probation term?

Anyway, that is how I read it, and often times the first offense is provided a chance for the person to prove this was a mistake in which they wish to never repeat. You must have proven that to be the case, or otherwise you would have not completed your probation period successfully, and the charges would have been upheld. No probation would have been given, if you merely were found not guilty, and no plea agreement necessary.

This quote on your part gave me reasonable assumption.
"Using this sites trucking companies comp list I have applied to those that had limited felony time restrictions."
"I had 2 felony court actions FORTY years ago!!! Probation before verdict on both counts."

I can’t assume any further with the info you gave...such as...
"I can vote and buy guns legally over the counter. Have Ga. firearms permit."
----------------------------------------------------------------

I was trying to be helpful. What I pointed out will still apply to "others" as you wish. There can be an allowance by Companies to hire in cases of Felony convictions over a certain amount of years....BUT these Companies may also have restrictions on "nature of the disposition." Such as a NO drug offense, Etc.

If someone does have a felony charge dropped or expunged upon a successful probation agreement... one STILL must follow up with an Attorney to be certain your record is dropped or expunged. This must be ruled upon in Court and is a condition which is not merely assumed just because a probation period was successfully completed. An expunged record is hidden from the public, but not from the Judicial System. Law Enforcement will still see your arrest record and it's disposition.

I have no idea of any ones criminal history, other than bits and pieces of it they wish to speak about. I think though...if a person was arrested on a felony charge, and given a plea agreement of a suspension of charges upon a successful probation...that IS a conviction. The only Ruling that trumps that is being found NOT GUILTY, or if the Presiding Judge throws the case out for any number of reasons. We do not give probation to innocent people.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Board Regular

Just be 100% honest about what happened dont try to hide it and if your background has been real good since most companys might overlook that
Old 12-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

You might try to find some owner operators who might put you in thier truck.