User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Whats the differance??

Does anyone know why the local tech school has a class that lasts 10 weeks? But all of the companies seem to have 4-5 weeks and then out with a trainer. Outside of the obvious that you have alot more time behind the wheel what else?? Would my time with a trainer be dropped down to minimal at best? I will be going through the local tech school just because I dont want to owe anyone (company) for my class. Once I pass the class I more than likely will find a local carrier and then apply non stop at UPS and ABF. Oh well thats todays plan.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Beyond meeting their hiring requirements companies do not really care if you attend a 4 weeks school or a 10 week school. When you hire on with a company you will still have to go through their entire OTJ training program.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Board Regular

The company sponsored training classes that last 2-4 weeks are crash courses designed to give you enough information and experience behind the wheel to get you CDL. The 10 week program at your local school will give you more time behind the wheel and cover subjects that are not discussed in a shorter course.

Your time with a trainer probably will not be reduced because you are going to a 10 week program verses a 3 week program.

Getting your CDL on your own is the best way to go if you can afford it. Most of the companies that "pay" for your training have bad reputations for how they treat their drivers.

Going local straight out of school will be tough, but not impossible. Most companies prefer that you have at least 1 year of experience.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM

I also wanted to get my endorsements right out of the gate. Which if I go to the tech school I have that option. The local tech school also has a skid course. That and winter driving experiance will be very valuable. The UPS around here seems to regularly be looking for part time dock workers w/ a cdl - at least its a foot in the door. Propane trucks seem to be looking locally all the time too both semi and small trucks. Both with cdls and hazmat. Who knows what I will find.

Thanks -Todd
Old 11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Board Icon

I'm not sure about this.... I didn't go to a community college, and can't remember what happened when my brother DID...... but I THINK you might want to check on the hours of attendance at the college you refer to. Seems like it might only be 16-20 hours per week vs. 40 hour weeks at CDL mills or company paid schools.

You may have smaller classes and therefore more one on one training through a community college, but I don't believe they offer essentially a 400 hour course.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 PM

That was one of the first thing I checked and rechecked its a 40 hour a week class for 9 weeks. Thats where the questioning of a community college comes in. Although the class is 2400.00 it seems like the local companies that offer training are almost double that our a 1 yr commitment.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM

The education will be more in depth and probably better but the industry could care less. All the industry cares about is that you had a class that satisfies the minimum requirements that they've been handed by their insurance company.

Local is not impossible(I did it) but it is frustrating getting a lot of doors closed in your face. You've got the right idea by be willing to do dock work to get in with a company. Keep that attitude and you should be fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Board Regular

Hey wolf i know what school your talking about I would spend the money and go there to FVTC in appleton might as well get some of the best training you can unlike Sun Prarie driving school which is 3 weeks