User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default To the older hands out their

What do yall think would be reasonale demands for someone finally getting a couple of years under his belt?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

When you have a couple years under your belt, you'll have a lot more options to choose from. At that point, you can pick whatever company closely matches your own requirements.

As far as making requests, it never hurts to ask. But usually, pet policies (or any policy for that matter) are engraved in stone and there's generally little room to manuevar.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you find it that difficult to be away from your dog perhaps you should consider another profession. Or you could go to work for a company, leave the dog at home, save your money, buy a truck and do what you wish. You have no experience and yet know about distractions in a commercial vehicle. Driving a truck requires you to constantly be aware of your surroundings. Make a wrong move and someone can die. I have 7 mirrors on my trucks. These require constant monitoring along with watching the road ahead and to each side. There are blind spots on trucks. Cars can get into those spots and sit there. If you are not watching they could easily get by you. If your pet distracts you at the wrong moment a car could slip into one of those spots and as you move to the right you either run them off the road or run over the top of the car. At this point, you don't really know what will distract you. Driving a truck isn't complicated, but does require your undivided attention.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
I'm sure the dog will be much happier cramped up in a truck for hours on end.
Put it to sleep. :twisted:
for once, i agree with you inmate....You cant be serious...Waiting 10 years to start a new career because of a dog??? Nuts!!

Adapt and overcome.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

BEFORE I actually started driving, 6 weeks training seemd CRAZY. My first week solo flatbedding I ALMOST wished it was 12 weeks training! I also ALMOST didn't work for TMC because of their no pet policy. My dog was my best friend. Two days in, while lying in my bunk, I realized that this was no place for my buddy. My Pete 379 was cramped (for a dog) and I had all I could handle just worrying about trip planning, load securement, customer appointments, truck stops, fuel stops, getting the truck washed, blind side backing into a spot at 3AM after cruising the lot of a 500 truck truck stop for an hour looking for a spot and LOTS more.
Do yourself a BIG favor and start out SOLO without your dog. You really won't have the time (or ability) to give him enough (if ANY) attention anyway. After a couple of weeks reevaluate your wishes. I can almost guarantee that you will feel you will be a better driver without him.

Yes you WILL feel TERRIBLE every time you have to leave home after your weekend off but it gets easier. I did. Then after your skills and abilities are better, you can decide if your buddy belongs with you or not.