User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new drivers

Maybe this Is a stupid question but is there a certain way they break new drivers in like send them to New York or places like that,or do they sort of take it easy on them for a little while and maybe send them on more relaxed routes.

I've always heard north east is a nightmare.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Board Regular

I'd say alot depends on the company the new driver is with and where that company generally runs to........
Old 11-15-2007, 03:03 AM

I was thinking Schneider,speaking of that I will be getting my CDL out of a local school here could I hear some opinions as far as best companies to start with besides Schneider.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know of any carriers who send new drivers to New York or any other area to break them in. There are several reasons why so many drivers don't like to go to the Northeast or New England. Tolls are high, lack of adequate parking and truck stops, high fuel costs, heavy traffic, poorly maintained roads, difficulty navigating some roads such as Long Island and the city, road restrictions, anti idling laws and general attitude of many of those who live and drive in those areas. I drove in that area for many years. I am not sure drivers are any worse than most other places. Baltimore and the Washington DC beltway are worse in my opinion. My main personal complaint of running in that area are the tolls. It is difficult to get around New York and the burrows without paying outrageous tolls. You can easily spend $200 if you go out on the Island. We don't run up there much any more unless the rates are extremely good. Most don't want to pay our rates for running up there. In many ways, it isn't any more difficult than any other major city. There is just so much more of it. You would certainly get your teeth cut very quickly if you start by going into the city. I think it would be better to gain some driving experience before trying to navigate the heavy traffic in that area.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:27 AM
Senior Board Member

i'm in school now..................and live in new jersey....it depends what your use to....i find that with so many vehicles on the road, drivers are a bit more cautious......(sometimes !! :? :? )........bol 2 ya :wink: :wink: :wink: 8) 8)
Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
i'm in school now..................and live in new jersey....it depends what your use to....i find that with so many vehicles on the road, drivers are a bit more cautious......(sometimes !! :? :? )........bol 2 ya :wink: :wink: :wink: 8) 8)
or crazy
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I used to drive jiust in the North East and when I 1st started was scared to death of going to NYC I turned down several loads. When I finilly went I found out it's not so bad after all. but I would recommend getting a few miles behind you before you do it solo! BOL. And don't sweat it, your wrost enemy is in your head
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member

When I was in training at cdl school they purposely ran us around 285 in ATL...It all depends with the comfort level, If you are too nervous you will make a mistake, if youre cool, go for it. One thing I have to say is that it is good to challenge yourself and the truck to see what it can do in as controlled an environment as possible. This way you will have better tools at your disposal in case of an emergency. Just dont push it constantly, keep well within the limits especially in curves so you have 'reserve capacity'. You'll slowly learn to feel the truck and how the load feels, until then you'll break out in sweat a few times. Every load will be different, secure cargo very well and mind you center of gravity.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Rookie

I just went out to the Long Island last week first time and after only being solo for 1.5 months wasn't too bad. I ended coming out across Staten Island at 4:00pm not all that bad. Just have to be extra careful and watch all sides constantly and run in the middle lane if possible (on ramps) with traffic coming on dont mix with a big truck who has to change lanes.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
When I was in training at cdl school they purposely ran us around 285 in ATL...It all depends with the comfort level, If you are too nervous you will make a mistake, if youre cool, go for it. One thing I have to say is that it is good to challenge yourself and the truck to see what it can do in as controlled an environment as possible. This way you will have better tools at your disposal in case of an emergency. Just dont push it constantly, keep well within the limits especially in curves so you have 'reserve capacity'. You'll slowly learn to feel the truck and how the load feels, until then you'll break out in sweat a few times. Every load will be different, secure cargo very well and mind you center of gravity.

Your comparing the 285 loop in Atlanta GA to NYC ... :?: