User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default idling?

How do you company drivers handle these anti idling laws?
And does your company even allow you to idle?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Anti-idling has not really been a problem since I primarily run the upper midwest. I choose not to idle that much since it just burns up fuel unecessarly and in the long run affects what the company can increase in pay and benefits. A good sleeping bag or even the 12 volt bunk warmer blankets will cut idling needs quite a bit. Just warm up the truck really good before shutting down and it will stay tolerable for quite a while, especially since manufacturers have increase cab insulation and most trucks have pull around curtains for the windows.

Most anti-idling laws (not all) will allow idling if the temps drop below a certain point.. like around 30F. I cannot think of a reason to idle down to that level if a driver is prepped. May not be ideal, but then what in trucking is absolutely perfect. I just crawl out of the rack, start the truck, and crawl back in for a few minutes while the truck warms up.

Summer is something else... but we don't have to worry about that for a little while. Unfortunately, most jurisdictions have no common sense regarding their anti-idling laws. but then, drivers that keep the truck running from the time they leave home until they return are not firing on all thrusters either.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
Unfortunately, most jurisdictions have no common sense regarding their anti-idling laws. but then, drivers that keep the truck running from the time they leave home until they return are not firing on all thrusters either.
Agreed... and agreed. Everyone seems to have some built-in excuse, but it cracks me up. You can walk through a truck stop parking lot on a 55 degree day with a light breeze the trucks are idling as far as the eye can see.

Me, I sleep like a baby when it's cold so anything warm enough to keep the fuel from gelling is good enough for me. On hot days, my preferred method is to cross my fingers and hope like hell I don't end up in a communist state. It seems to work pretty well, so feel free to try it.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 11-10-2007, 08:32 PM

Again I'm not a trucker but I was just wondering about this anti idling law for example,do truckers have anybody at all in our good old White House that takes up for you guys,it seems like any kinda lobbyist sitting on his fat ass can just make up a new law and it just goes uncontested seems to me like,no idling unless you have a pet does that mean dogs are more thought of than drivers???
It really chaps my ass the way you guys get treated but my main question is if there's a person or organization that sticks up for drivers?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
Again I'm not a trucker but I was just wondering about this anti idling law for example,do truckers have anybody at all in our good old White House that takes up for you guys,it seems like any kinda lobbyist sitting on his fat ass can just make up a new law and it just goes uncontested seems to me like,no idling unless you have a pet does that mean dogs are more thought of than drivers???
It really chaps my ass the way you guys get treated but my main question is if there's a person or organization that sticks up for drivers?
Yup

OOIDA - Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association
www.ooida.com