User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Securing steel loads

I'm kinda curious, since I've never hauled nor even touched :roll: a flatbed....when hauling steel loads of any kind ( and I, for sure, have no idea of how many kinds there are ), do they have to be tarped too ? The other day, I saw a guy untarping a load of drill-pipes at a lease, and the issue has befuddled me ever since.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Board Regular

I just got back from Maverick ( I decided not to stay with them ) and they
pretty much tarp every load but it is up to the shipper or consignee as I was told. Most that were tarped were double tarped ( canvas was laid over the product first) .
Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Many consignees of steel loads will require tarping. The situation varies, but from what I understood when pulling a flat, the major consideration was road contamination of certain products. Think of road salts and other de-icers used up in the northern states that are corrosive. Also, crossing state lines has something to do with it also. Some loads I hauled in-state did not require a tarp, but then haul the exact same loads and cross state lines, a tarp was required. Then you get to the site, and they throw it off in the mud. arrghhhhh!.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member

the sipper or the paperwork will tell you if it's tarp or not. there is no method to this madness. lol.. some rusted banged up steel loads will have to be tarped while some new looking steel bars will not.. the list goes on
Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most steel needs to be tarped. I would say about 50% or more of flat bed loads need a tarp. If you don't like to tarp, then flats are not the way to go.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM

I drive for Maverick and almost all steel loads are tarp.As far as securement.Maverick policy is steel on steel.In other words use chains on steel unless customer specifies differently.If any questions contact your fleet manager or safety dept.Maverick covers all of this during Orientation and load securement class.There are times you tarp and it doesn't make since but you better do it anyway.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Board Regular

Now for me most steel loads are tarped along with bricks and shingles. now for securing steel, i havent hauled the large coils yet but ive hauled 2 coils at 20000 lbs each and used every darned chain I have on the truck and just for just a little bit of extra security I throw a strap through them too but I prefer to load them suicide.
for plate steel, i use chains to "X" the front and the back and 2 or three over the steel, i also belly wrap the steel plates with a strap and then throw a few straps over the tarp.
rebar i dont use any chains just alot of straps and belly wrap that also and I do the same with steel tubing.
just remember when it looks good throw one or two more chains or straps ive never heard of DOT lecturing someone about overkill for securement and ive seen a coil on a flatbed on its side and the coil still chained to the trailer
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrjr7
Now for me most steel loads are tarped along with bricks and shingles. now for securing steel, i havent hauled the large coils yet but ive hauled 2 coils at 20000 lbs each and used every darned chain I have on the truck and just for just a little bit of extra security I throw a strap through them too but I prefer to load them suicide.
for plate steel, i use chains to "X" the front and the back and 2 or three over the steel, i also belly wrap the steel plates with a strap and then throw a few straps over the tarp.
rebar i dont use any chains just alot of straps and belly wrap that also and I do the same with steel tubing.
just remember when it looks good throw one or two more chains or straps ive never heard of DOT lecturing someone about overkill for securement and ive seen a coil on a flatbed on its side and the coil still chained to the trailer
Why do you prefer to load steel coils suicide? You are the first person I have ever heards say that!

"Big Red One" , 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, Recondo, Jumpmaster, & Drill Sergeant

OOIDA
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrjr7
Why do you prefer to load steel coils suicide? You are the first person I have ever heards say that!
That may be the only way for the shipper to load them.

I thought X-chaining a coil was forbidden.

Saying you use every chain available on the truck isn't really telling us how many chains you are actually using. You only need three chains for a 20,000 lbs. coil. A strap across the top is a good idea. I am assuming you are using a coil rack, timber and coil racks? I too tend to use more securement than is required, nevertheless, I would not use "all" the chains I carry to secure two 20,000 lbs. coils.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Board Member

x- chaining a suicide coil is no longer allowed. though you can on a shotgun coil. why. i have no idea.