User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need help finding paid schooling

hi there. i was hoping some of you may be able to help me. I'm not asking you to do my research for me or anything. Trust me, I've been stuck on this computer and phone most of the week. I am looking to earn my CDL. I know of many companies that either provide the schooling or have tuition reimbursment. The problem I have is a felony conviction almost 3 years ago. I either need to find a company that it doesn't matter with or one that lets me explain myself and prove myself and that will still consider me. Of course, like anyone, I would like to not have to pay tuition out of my pocket up front. But I also understand my only choice may be reimbursment. I currently live in Ohio. But I would be willing to go to the school just about anywhere in the country as long as I will still be able to work out of Ohio. I would like a company that would pay me atleast 30-32 CPM for the first year. More would be good, of course, but probably not realistic at this point especially with a company that would take me with my felony conviction. I am single with no kids and can stay out on the road as long as the company will let me. I would prefer long hauls to the far west of the nation. If anyone knows of a company that would consider me with still needing my CDL, please let me know. Some of you may even work for a company that will. I really appreciate any input.

~Suzzette~
Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM

i am not an expert, i have not started yet! i finish school a couple of weeks ago.But there was a guy in my class , that had a felony conviction. when a recruiter came in to tell us about there company, that was the first thing he ask, do u hire people with felonies. some say no, some say yes . one recruiter said they will consider it, if he did not have any jail time. But you have to knock on some doors, if u didnt do any jail time , i think there is a possibilty. Far as the company taking a chance on you and puttin up there money, personally i dont think so. maybe u should save up and front they money yourself. you will be in better position.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The problem I have is a felony conviction almost 3 years ago.
Going to be tough since it only been three years BUT not impossible. Just remember that any company that runs Canada will most likely not even consider you.

Quote:
Of course, like anyone, I would like to not have to pay tuition out of my pocket up front.
Try here:http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...kDriverService
CAD's front page has a good list of compaines that hire new drivers and it will tell you if they offer paid training and hire with felonies and how long ago. I would also suggest calling the company personally and asking the same qusetions.

Quote:
I would like a company that would pay me atleast 30-32 CPM for the first year.
Most training companies pay in that range.

Quote:
I would prefer long hauls to the far west of the nation.
That is becoming the thing of the past. Most compaines anymore run short to medium haul(600 miles per trip). There are still a few coast to coast companies though.

Quote:
I currently live in Ohio
You in a good area. Alot of compaines have terminials in Ohio.

Quote:
If anyone knows of a company that would consider me with still needing my CDL
Try: Swift, CR England, CRST, PRIME. Can't get to picky in your situation snce the above listed are not the greatest.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default WIA

Check with the local office of Ohio's unemployment (welfare) office (one-stop). They may be able to help out as far as paying for the training, but you're gonna have some hoops to jump thru. The bigger obstacle will be the recent felony conviction. Most companies won't touch a con until at least ten years after the probation for the conviction is completed because they can't guarantee a parolee will be able to check in when they're supposed to. You may want to get to your goal by starting working the dock at an LTL company and getting a driver opportunity that way. BOL
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Rookie

thank you all for taking the time to help...i will continue the search and will let you know how things pan out. Not to discourage those who still want to post to this...I still figure I'm gonna need all the help I can get :wink:
Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Try: Swift, CR England, CRST, PRIME. Can't get to picky in your situation snce the above listed are not the greatest.
DO NOT TRY CR England!!!
After two months with them, you'll be so hungry that you'll be trying to break into prison, where imnates get three meals a day!!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzetteA
thank you all for taking the time to help...i will continue the search and will let you know how things pan out. Not to discourage those who still want to post to this...I still figure I'm gonna need all the help I can get :wink:
Where do you live!!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Rookie

What is that supposed to mean, Useless? If you are able to read, my previous post already said that I am in Ohio. Do you have an actual point to that question? Or are you trying to get under my skin? If you are referring to the way my last post was worded, then get a life. I was only trying to be friendly. Yes, I am aware that the words, figure and gonna, sound unlike Ohioan dialect. But, if you read anything else I have written on here, you would be able to come to the conclusion that I am very well educated in regard to my speech and grammer. If you had another reason for asking, please enlighten me. :mrgreen:
Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm not Useless but knowing where someone lives will help narrow down the list of companies to look at. There may be a company that will hire you, but you may not be in their hiring area.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member