LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: 2 to 4 random drug test's a year is what I have been tol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
I have heard from other drivers that 2 to 4 randoms a year is about average. I have had 2 randoms in about 10 months. I think the law states that all trucking companies have to test 10% of thier employees every month.

I have heard in some cases that one may have over 6 a year!! Is that possible?

Do the feds actually pick the employee numbers from each company or do the companys pick the employee numbers and provide them to the feds :?:
I have had one in the last 15 years. another driver I know has had 3 this year, they say the computer just picks a ss# at random and doesnt keep track of which ones have been picked before
Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
I have heard from other drivers that 2 to 4 randoms a year is about average. I have had 2 randoms in about 10 months. I think the law states that all trucking companies have to test 10% of thier employees every month.

Do the feds actually pick the employee numbers from each company or do the companys pick the employee numbers and provide them to the feds :?:
I have had one in the last 15 years. another driver I know has had 3 this year, they say the computer just picks a ss# at random and doesnt keep track of which ones have been picked before
That is the way it works. Each time the computer makes a selection every drivers should have an equal chance.

kc0iv
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Board Regular

ive been in the same job 10 years. my company has software that selects who provides the sample.
it seems like evry 2 years i gotta go pee.
i believe the program will select you more frequently if you are late or cause damage and are involved in accidents etc.
i believe that maryjane will stay in your system 6 weeks so is that joint worth 50k? i think you gotta choose the truck or the dope.
if your in the office asking the details of the ua program im sure your number will come up frequently!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
ive been in the same job 10 years. my company has software that selects who provides the sample.
it seems like evry 2 years i gotta go pee.
i believe the program will select you more frequently if you are late or cause damage and are involved in accidents etc.
i believe that maryjane will stay in your system 6 weeks so is that joint worth 50k? i think you gotta choose the truck or the dope.
if your in the office asking the details of the ua program im sure your number will come up frequently!
While a company can request someone to take a D & A test. That test can not included in the random selection process required by the D.O.T. The company has a right to test anybody they want to as many times as they want. The D.O.T. only set the minimum number of test required.

kc0iv
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 AM
Board Regular

sounds good. that "reasonable suspicion" thing will cover evry thing else.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Board Regular

Its all random. I have been driving for 3 years and only got my number pulled once and that was well over a year ago. randoms are no big deal if you have nothing to hide heck my company even pays me 11 bucks to go for a random its a far cry from what i can make driving but its better than nothing for my time
if im not mistaken if you are on like your hometime or vacation they cant call you in off your time off for a random but they can make you go for one when you are back in service a more experienced driver will have to answer that one for me
Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrjr7
Its all random. I have been driving for 3 years and only got my number pulled once and that was well over a year ago. randoms are no big deal if you have nothing to hide heck my company even pays me 11 bucks to go for a random its a far cry from what i can make driving but its better than nothing for my time
if im not mistaken if you are on like your hometime or vacation they cant call you in off your time off for a random but they can make you go for one when you are back in service a more experienced driver will have to answer that one for me
They can call you to get it done. But then they can also defer it til you get back to work....if its a "random". What determines whether or not they might require it while you are on time off...is how close a test site is to where you are. If its quite a distance and impractical, they can defer it.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrjr7
They can call you to get it done. But then they can also defer it til you get back to work....if its a "random". What determines whether or not they might require it while you are on time off...is how close a test site is to where you are. If its quite a distance and impractical, they can defer it.

Quote:
§382.305 Random testing.
(l) Each employer shall require that each driver who is notified of selection for random alcohol and/or controlled substances testing proceeds to the test site immediately; provided, however, that if the driver is performing a safety-sensitive function, other than driving a commercial motor vehicle, at the time of notification, the employer shall instead ensure that the driver ceases to perform the safety- sensitive function and proceeds to the testing site as soon as possible.
Quote:
§382.305 Random testing. Interpretation
Question 10: If an employee is off work due to temporary lay-off, illness, injury or vacation, should that individual's name be removed from the random pool?

Guidance: No. The individual's name should not be removed from the random pool so long as there is a reasonable expectation of the employee's return.

Question 17: May an employer notify a driver of his/her selection for a random controlled sub*stances test while the driver is in an off-duty status?

Guidance: Yes. Part 382 does not prohibit an employer form notifying a driver of his/her selection for a random controlled substances test while the driver is in an off-duty status.

If an employer selects a driver for a random controlled substances test while the driver is in an off-duty status, and then chooses to notify the driver that he/she has been selected while the driver is still off-duty, the employer must ensure that the driver proceeds immediately to a collection site. Immediately, in this context, means that all the driver’s actions, after notification, lead to an immediate speci*men collection. If the employer’s policy or practice is to notify drivers while they are in an off-duty status, the employer should make that policy clear to all drivers so that they are fully informed of their obligation to proceed immediately to a col*lection site.

If an employer does not want to notify the driver that he/she has been selected for a random controlled substances test while the driver is in an off-duty status, the employer could set aside the driver’s name for notification until the driver returns to work, as long as the driver returns to work before the next selection for random testing is made.

Employers should note that regardless of when a driver is notified, the time the driver spends traveling to and from the collection site, and all time associated with providing the specimen, must be recorded as on-duty time for purposes of compli*ance with the hours-of-service rules.
kc0iv
Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Board Regular

ahh thats what i was thinking. the reason was is if we were subject to report for a random drug test when we are on vacation that means when we are sitting in our homes we had to watch the phone and couldnt kick back and have a cold one and like me i live 100 miles away from the nearest terminal
Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Most trucking companies belong to drug testing consortiums that tell them who will be called in a quarter, when I was an Ops Manager I would get the list at the beginning of the quarter and I would test so many people off that list each week until everyone was tested. If someone quit, I would notify driver personnel and they would add another name to the list. I saw some guys that just kept coming up and some never came up. One of my favorite drivers came up positive for METH, I couldnt believe it, had him retested and a 71 year old man was a METH user. WOW!