User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A question about equipment abandonment - DAC

I'll be quitting my first trucking job by the end of this month (Swift) and i'm trying to figure out the best way to severe ties.

They have a drop yard at a truckstop in my city which is just over 3 hours from my home terminal.

Can I leave the truck in this Swift designated "drop yard" without the risk of getting a report filed on my DAC?

Is there any gray area here? I've heard some horror stories about swift drivers getting false reports filed after a less than amicable split.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 AM

As it's my SO who drives, and I only know what I see/hear on this board, I can only tell you what I've previously read...

My understanding is that you have to bring the truck back to where it was assigned. If you bring it to one of their yards and it's not properly authorized they have grounds to consider it abandonment.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown
As it's my SO who drives, and I only know what I see/hear on this board, I can only tell you what I've previously read...

My understanding is that you have to bring the truck back to where it was assigned. If you bring it to one of their yards and it's not properly authorized they have grounds to consider it abandonment.

Good luck to you.
Close but not quite tbrown.

In order to avoid an abandonement charge you need to return the truck to the location the company tells you to return it to. Turn it in anywhere else and the company can legitmately nail you with abandonment.

While most of the time this location may be at the location it was assigned to you at, with companies like Swift with multiple terminals the one where you picked up the truck at may not be the one where the truck is assigned to.

Also when you turn the truck in make sure you have it gone over by some one at the terminal and you get a reciept for the truck and all equipment noting any damages or missing items at the time you turn in the truck. If you did a good inspection when you picked up the truck and noted damages etc when you picked up the truck then the two will hopefully match and then the company can not come back and try to keep your last check(s) to "pay" for the damage. Not all companies do this, but enough try to do it that you always need to cover yourself.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Resigning

When you send notice (minimum two weeks) of your intent to resign your driver position, ask your dispatcher where the tractor is to be turned in. Then follow their directions explicitly including, as a previous poster stated, being accompanied by a shop or terminal manager during the departure inspection/turn-in of the tractor and other assigned equipment. BOL
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Make sure you take the truck back to an operating center, not just a "drop yard". Get it inspected that you left the truck in operating condition, in fact leave the truck better than when you got it. Make sure that all fuel cards are turned in that you get a signed inspection sheet, also get the name of the person who inspected the truck , that way if there is a dispute on your DAC you can go back, with evidence and fight it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Board Regular

I'll also add that you need to return the truck clean and make sure you get receipts with printed and signed name of the person who takes posession of the truck. Always CYA.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 PM

(EDITED)
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 AM

lol @ all of that, Joe

Thnx for the advice everyone.

I've decided to just turn it in at my home terminal, and my notice will consist of me showing up to turn it in, and leaving.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Board Regular

I once did alot of hiring when I managed a delivery department. I always treated the guys well and expected a proper notice when they were leaving. I also made it a policy to never hire a person who was currently employed if they told me they could start immediately. It is a shame to possibly loose a good job reference over a couple weeks of work.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 AM

I've had close to a dozen different jobs since I was 13 ranging from milking cows to an internship in a large architecture and engineering firm.

I've never once quit a job without proper notice.

When you quit working for a company like Swift, "here are my keys, sir/ma'am" is all the notice needed imho. The individual person means nothing to them or any other mega carrier. You are nothing but a pawn in a big revolving door that is filled with the next batch of drivers eager to fill your shoes.

And I couldn't care less about the type of "reference" i get from Swift. After awhile, a guy can only take so much abuse before he tells his boss to fix or at least acknowledge the problem... or he'll quit and move on to something else. All to often in this industry, i suspect the bossman says "cya" without a 2nd thought, while eyeing the list of the next batch of recruits(suckers) signed up for next Monday's orientation class.
Closed Thread