User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Job history

As a newbie, what am I legally required to list on my application as far as job history. Some applications I see want 10 years of history. Well, I am 28 y/o. A large chunk of that is 4 years of college and nothing really before that.

Does that look bad on an application? Also, I have not "worked" since Feb. of this year due to my wife's awesome job. I have been "Mr. Mom" so to say. Prior to that I was self employed as an insurance agent.

All comments, smartass or not, are appreciated.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

As for your past history, supplying copies of your tax statements and college transcripts should be acceptable to most companies. As long as you have a decent driver's abstract and no criminal history, you should be good to go.

There will always be some "stick in the mud" company out there. "Covenant' turned me down because of my long history of self employment; I gave them everything that they asked for, and never got to discuss the matter with them.

Rejecting me was probably the best favor they could have done for me. I received a much better offer from a smaller, midsized carrier.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

You will probably need to supply a notarized letter stating that you were a house husband for the recent period. For college and High School you just need to provide proof of full time attendance.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 PM

I think that you will have to explain the large gaps in employment. Many companies would feel that you were not too motivated to work.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Colts Fan,

Didn't you just graduate with your CDL from Sage? If so, I would have thought that you would have had many offers to drive before you even graduated and would be with a company in orientation and training by now. If not, I would try to find something soon, as to not delay finding a job with the past work history you have had.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
Colts Fan,

Didn't you just graduate with your CDL from Sage? If so, I would have thought that you would have had many offers to drive before you even graduated and would be with a company in orientation and training by now. If not, I would try to find something soon, as to not delay finding a job with the past work history you have had.
I have had several offers from various mega carriers with whom I filled out pre-hire applications. My goal has been to try to get a local job or a job that has me home more often than not. I have come to the realization though that I may have to do some OTR work to gain experience. In fact, it would be best to get it out of the way now as my daughter is very young. Oreintation is near the end of the month.

I have an offer from Baylor trucking in Milan,IN in the works right now.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Board Regular

If you and your family can deal with the OTR lifestyle, you'll get some experience and earn some money. Just be careful of the pitfalls such as job hopping during your first year, accidents or speeding tickets, etc. Those are the things that the companies whom you want to wind up working for someday will look at.

From the way it sounds, your in no need of immediate cash, so I would take my time and make sure that whoever you finally go with is someone you'll be comfortable spending at least the first year with. If I didn't REALLY need a job, I wouldn't even consider taking a job for any company that I wasn't absolutely sure that I could stick with for one year. I'm just saying this because I think LTL is probably your overall goal. They like job stability and clean driving records. Take your time, get it right and one day that local dream job will come open and you'll be sitting there with some experience, a clean record, stable work history and a big grin on your face! :lol:

Arky
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Job history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
As a newbie, what am I legally required to list on my application as far as job history. Some applications I see want 10 years of history. Well, I am 28 y/o. A large chunk of that is 4 years of college and nothing really before that.

Does that look bad on an application? Also, I have not "worked" since Feb. of this year due to my wife's awesome job. I have been "Mr. Mom" so to say. Prior to that I was self employed as an insurance agent.

All comments, smartass or not, are appreciated.
Motor carriers must ASK about ALL your past employment for the past three years. Employers must ASK about "CMV driving" experience for the 7 years preceding the past three. (See b 11)
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1771

Employers must "Investigate" the past three years of "DOT employment"
See a 2
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1772