User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Want to be a newbee question...

After working for the Navy (active duty and civilian) for over 35 years, I want to drive local or regional in NE North Carolina. I am thinking of talking to the local dump truck companies to see if they will let me "ride along" to learn the business. In your opinion, is this a good plan? Would it be better to hire on with ao OTR company, go through their school to get the Class A, work for them for a year, then try to go local/regional in an 18 wheeler or dump truck? I have heard that many companies are actively looking for "Retirees" like me with a good work history, no moving violations or accidents, that are my fault, in the last 40 years of driving. I did drive an 18 wheeler for 1.5 years, but that was 30 years ago. Not considered "recent" experience <G>.
Any suggestions of the better company driving schools would be appreciated. I know that they all have "warts", but opinions are welcomed. I do want to stay in the Southeast, if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your Naval service. There still a lot of us out here that appreciate our military. It never hurts to ride along, but most companies have rider polices so you'll need to check with them first. If you're wanting to work for a specific trucking company, see if they offer their own trucking school. Be careful though that you don't owe them your soul after. As far as other schools go, my friend had okay luck with drivercareers.com. They'll help place you with a school. You could check with Roadmaster too.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Rookie
Default Want to be a newbee question...

Thanks geezer74, it was my pleasure to serve.
There are at lease a half of a dozen companies here in NE North Carolina that I plan on talking to about driving. If that doesn't work, then I will contact some of the OTR companies that train drivers.
Drive safe...