User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just think of the time you'll put in with a training company as an apprenticeship or residency program, it's just paying your dues to get somewhere.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM

You don't have to drive OTR. I personally have never logged 1 minute of sleeper time in my life. Most of the guys I work with have never driven OTR either. There is no point in going OTR, you certainly aren't going to make very much money doing it.

Probably your best bet is to find a construction outfit and know how to make yourself useful to them. A laborer with a CDL sooner or later ends up driving a truck.

Or don't be afraid to work as a yard jockey. Find some LTL outfit or beverage distributer and don't be afraid to use your back or run a forklift.

And always look for the union job, you will be happier.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Board Regular

Like others said there is the beverage guys... I personally would opt for Food Service before I did the beverage thing though. Most of those guys do sales as well. I think they make pretty decent money in the summer but not nearly as much in the winter.

Depending on your area, foodservice outfits will probably accept school as enough experience, if they are short handed.

Like GMAN said though, the longer you go without work the worse it is on you. I would call up some LTL companies and ask if you can do dock work as well as be on the extra board.

You may not end up doing much driving at first, and the wages will probably be fairly low, but in the long run once you get a bid run at a LTL outfit you will be in great shape.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
If you don't believe me..... read the threads/posts by UNKUT!
I definitely agree!!! And as much as someone may laugh or snicker at my learning experiences, I stay strong.....take it with a grain of salt.....and continue to be the best driver I can be.....

Oh, and as much as many don't want to admit it, my occurences have prolly helped MANY!!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joethemechanic
You don't have to drive OTR. I personally have never logged 1 minute of sleeper time in my life. Most of the guys I work with have never driven OTR either. There is no point in going OTR, you certainly aren't going to make very much money doing it.

Probably your best bet is to find a construction outfit and know how to make yourself useful to them. A laborer with a CDL sooner or later ends up driving a truck.

Or don't be afraid to work as a yard jockey. Find some LTL outfit or beverage distributer and don't be afraid to use your back or run a forklift.

This here is exaclty how I got my CDL. Practiced in the yard and took the tests. I went and told them I had my CDL and they didn't have a truck open so I went to another company. Yep, I have dump experience. I got hired. I considere my self lucky and very thankful that it worked out like that. That next winter I did have to go OTR because of frost laws. I went OTR every winter for about 3 years. It's not that bad and definitley doit while you'r fresh out of school and your kids are young.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M
Quote:

This here is exaclty how I got my CDL. Practiced in the yard and took the tests. I went and told them I had my CDL and they didn't have a truck open so I went to another company. Yep, I have dump experience. I got hired. I considere my self lucky and very thankful that it worked out like that. That next winter I did have to go OTR because of frost laws. I went OTR every winter for about 3 years. It's not that bad and definitley doit while you'r fresh out of school and your kids are young.

So you are from Valdosta GA. Chris?

Ever do anything at the PCA plant? I flew down there a couple of years ago and helped them with some problems they were having with the gearbox on one of their wastewater clarifiers.

Nicest bunch of people I ever met down there. Crew was great. They took me out and fed me so much I thought I was going to burst. Even had me eating fried gator tail. Whatever that sauce for the gator tail was it was some of the best stuff I ever tasted.

I was down there a week, and I didn't want to have to go back home.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
If you don't believe me..... read the threads/posts by UNKUT!
I definitely agree!!! And as much as someone may laugh or snicker at my learning experiences, I stay strong.....take it with a grain of salt.....and continue to be the best driver I can be.....

Oh, and as much as many don't want to admit it, my occurences have prolly helped MANY!!!!!
well, they have certainly entertained us
Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Nicest bunch of people I ever met down there. Crew was great. They took me out and fed me so much I thought I was going to burst. Even had me eating fried gator tail. Whatever that sauce for the gator tail was it was some of the best stuff I ever tasted.
I called the crew up and asked about their special sauce. They didn't want to give me the exact recipe, but they told me it was something that came from the gator tail! :shock: :shock:

Just kidding!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M
Quote:

So you are from Valdosta GA. Chris?

Ever do anything at the PCA plant? I flew down there a couple of years ago and helped them with some problems they were having with the gearbox on one of their wastewater clarifiers.

I was down there a week, and I didn't want to have to go back home.
I'm originally from Michigan. That's were I learned to drive. :lol: I moved here in 99 with the Air Force. It doesnt freeze here so I think I'll be staying. I don't eat much gator. I don't know why??? I liked it just don't go to places that have it I guess. Did you get you any BBQ?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:13 AM

Yeah I stayed over in Lake Park. There was a BBQ place there but I don't remember the name of it. I remember some place called The Farm House and I had quail there. And Twin Lakes Tavern where I had Gator Tail for the first time. And then There was Bayo Bill's where a pretty little barmaid chatted with me all night because I don't drink. Funny thing is she worked at Twin Lakes too.

Lunches we ate in Clyatville in a little diner where everyone ate at long tables like a school cafeteria, food was plentiful and cheap. Not too bad tasting either. Guys I ate with there told me I needed to slow down and enjoy myself. Said living up north was going to shorten my life. Said I was rushing around too much and that was going to kill me.

I loved the place, I really thought about selling the house and moving down there.