User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default drivertech

What does Drivertech include? It apparently is replacing or is in addition to Qualcomm. Does it replace need for my gps?
Thanks for any info!
Cheers
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

It is an alternative to Qualcomm. More of a PC tablet with a lot more options and more user friendly. Looks to be a lot better than Qualcomm and probably more money too. There are lot's of dispatch systems available. But Qualcomm has the market cornered and your bigger fleets find the cost to switch prohibitive. I think Qualcomm sucks. Looking at the DriverTech website, I think I'd like that much better.

http://www.drivertech.com/

Old 10-05-2007, 05:28 AM
Senior Board Member

as far as GPS goes. I think Qualcom sucks. I have also used a tablet Panasonic using a sprint card for GPS with the cable company I worked for during my pre-big truck days. Anything is better than Qualcom or that generic Mobile Max crap we use at CFI. But as far as a GPS for a big truck? nothing beats verifying with Rand Mcnally and then more importantly, your eyes!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 PM

I agree it sounds better than qualcomm. I believe on of the capabilities is GPS. Just wondering if its any good, or if I would still need mine.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I would still use yours. If nothing else, for the countdown to your consignee or general idea when you will hit the next town or rest area to switch drivers and stuff like that. It does help if the shipper or consignee is fairly easy to get to. especially at night when you forget which way is north and try to make your truck levitate to the sky because north is always up. Stuff like that. But just verify as much as you can with the map. Nothing is perfect.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

we have the drivertech in our new truck, and to say i don't like it would be putting it nicely,

the gps is copilot (not a big fan) the display can't be changed to show anything other than what it wants to show(in routing mode) it zooms in and out when IT wants to and as much as IT wants to. sometimes it will show the route with north up so if you are going weat you will be going left on the screen then the next time you look it has changed and now showes you goung up BUT you are still going west
use YOUR gps. we use delorme 2008 plus and ms s&t 2007 and thay are both better.

the drivertech is HARD mounted to the dash. only the driver can see and use it (sucks for a team). it can only be used when you are in the drivers seat so when you are in the back sleeping and the dam thing goes off (yes you can mute it) but you have to get up put on your pants and get into drivers seat to use it.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:05 PM

thanks flood, thats what I wanted to know. I have copilot for RV and have noted some of the same problems you mentioned. I have been thinking about getting the garmin 7200 when we start driving.
Are you by chance running for IDC? Thats where we are looking at going (husband wife team). If so, whats your thoughts on them?
Keep it safe out there!
Cheers