User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default At Werner they appreciate their drivers ...UH SURE

I worked at Werner for just over 2 years up until I decided to take a leave to hunt for a local job So (last tuesday) I called my dispatcher (**** ******) on the 25th which was 2 days into my home time I called him 2 days before my planned retuen date on the 27th after my 4 days off for my 4 weeks out . I informed him I was going to be taking a leave of abscence to look for local work ,And said I'd be turning the keys into the truck after I got my belongings out of it which I coulsdn't do until the weekend as I need to make 2 trips for all my stuff asnd it's 3 hr round trip which is 6 hours driving plus the emptying of the truck ....

I show up on saturday only to find the truck emptiied out and my stuff not accesable to me in a storage room that I can't get into until monday . The truck was empitied out on the 27th and re-issued the sanme day ,but the person was not leaving his house until today the 2nd of oct , so I don't see the reason they couldn't have let me empty the truck myself and not do it the way they did .

They have my phone number ,and never even bothered to call and enlightwen me what was taking place with my possesions . I find it rather ...LOW RENT...that Werner and is management can only speak of what is WERNERS property and have NO respect for the drivers personal belongings.

So in my truck was some high dollar clothing I wear Tommy Phat Pharm Polo , so my jeans ar about 60-80 dollars a pair and my T-shirts are 25-40 a shirt ...The people who packed these shirts and jeans were ...SMART ENOUGH...to pack in my oily dirt caked shoes in with these garment permanantly soiling about 12 pairs of $60.00 jeans .

I pack my Raised letter birth Cert and social security card in a file stored in my truck ...They LOST my Berth Certificate...

THIS IS HOW WERNER TREATS IT's DRIVERS ...I was basically told TOUGH my dispatcher CURTIS LOCKHART out of Ohmaha WHO was told I needed until the weekend to empty he did not disagree , and then in conversation today the 2nd he said he doesn't recall me stating that I needed until the weekend , But then is basically telling me in anothe breath he knew that's what I said .But he doesn't care because he wanted to re-issue the truck ASAP , and it's my problem....I now know why their dispatchers sit behing bullet proof glass :wink:
Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: At Werner they appreciate their drivers ...UH SURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
...I now know why their dispatchers sit behing bullet proof glass :wink:
Your serious? They really sit behind bullet proof glass?

Sorry that they ruined your stuff, typical trucking company that don't give a rats ass about their employees.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

typical to this industry when we quit a job. i gave arrow trucking 2 week notice. they kept me out 3 weeks, when i said i have to be in tulsa to turn in truck they sent me to ca. i refused load. i paid fuel out of pocket to run to tulsa. final settlement. i owe them $200 for abandoned truck, tho it was proscessed thru their shop. $475 for no notice. i turned in all equipment and followed their procedure and spent 3 days in hotel at my expense and still they say i owe them over a grand.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

This is typical big company way of doing things.

Several times on other boards I have always advocated to never carry more in your truck than you can transfer from truck to truck (or clean out to take home) in more than 2 hours.

While what happened to your clothes is a pity, if you take another driving job you really might want to consider wearing "low" dollar clothes and leave the nicer stuff at home. After a couple of years you should know by now that there are 1001 ways to "ruin" clothes being a truck driver.

When I was out on the road, my work clothes were $12-$15 jeans, $5 t-shirts and $8 polo shirts, most of which came from Wal Mart and K Mart. The quality is good enough they are not going to disintegrate in the wash but still cheap enough that if one gets ruin with oil or torn it is not a big loss.

Next time you get ready to leave a company, plan ahead if at all possible and start cleaning out the truck ahead of time. On your last weekend home clean out everything but the items you absolutely need and then tell the company you are quitting. This way you will only have a small amount of clothes, some bedding, and a few other items like map, pens, etc to remove.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choperbob
$475 for no notice.
they charged you for not giving notice can they even do that did you sign a paper or something.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: At Werner they appreciate their drivers ...UH SURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
...I now know why their dispatchers sit behing bullet proof glass :wink:
Your serious? They really sit behind bullet proof glass?

Sorry that they ruined your stuff, typical trucking company that don't give a rats ass about their employees.

Not only do they sit behind security glass....But there the entrance to the dispatchers quarters offices that is behind the glass is through a large set of steel ddors only able to be opened with the swip of a security card . The Denver terminal has a couple diaspatchers in it ,but they are not guarded like in Ohmaha .

What I find really funny about MR ...Lickhart is he SARCASTICLY asked me in my phone conversation with him today if I found my 50k job , he asked this because he asked what I would like to make in the industry ,and I said 40-50 k...currently as of seopt 25th I only grossed 23k at Werner as a 48 state van driver ,so at best I may have grossed 30k this year ...clearly not my idea iof "TOP" earnings for 2 yrs driving OTR . I guess MR curtis thinks grossing 40-50k is out of reach in the industry...

But then again when i told him i wanted to try my hand at local work and paid by the hour he thought I was going to do warehouse work ,as in his vast 2 years of dispatching ,and never driving only dispatching for the "BIG BLUE" he was un-aware of hourly paid trucking jobs .

I think MR LICKhart did me a great service ,as I most likely would have just went back to Werner after 30 days ,but after the destruction of my belongings ,and his sarcasm towrds my desire to make a wage above the POVERTY line I will not ever go back to Werner ,and I will never absoulutely never recomend Werner to another person as long as I breath .
Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with the last post. I don't spend squat on clothes except jeans but they are work wranglers usually and I have had them for several years when I was a cable tech. They take abuse well. I don't make the money to buy the nice clothes much and we are team. I believe when I quit at CFI I will probably unload most of the stuff at home over time and then either rent a uhaul or something in Joplin and load the rest. Basically I will plan to rent a uhaul anywhere because I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. I do agree that probably all companies are like this. I just didn't know all companies had dispatchers that lied to you like that. Guess I learn something every day.

I do wonder though if the glass in Joplin is bullet proof. I don't think it is but it is definitely sound proof. I have tested that one out.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
This is typical big company way of doing things.

Several times on other boards I have always advocated to never carry more in your truck than you can transfer from truck to truck (or clean out to take home) in more than 2 hours.

While what happened to your clothes is a pity, if you take another driving job you really might want to consider wearing "low" dollar clothes and leave the nicer stuff at home. After a couple of years you should know by now that there are 1001 ways to "ruin" clothes being a truck driver.

When I was out on the road, my work clothes were $12-$15 jeans, $5 t-shirts and $8 polo shirts, most of which came from Wal Mart and K Mart. The quality is good enough they are not going to disintegrate in the wash but still cheap enough that if one gets ruin with oil or torn it is not a big loss.

Next time you get ready to leave a company, plan ahead if at all possible and start cleaning out the truck ahead of time. On your last weekend home clean out everything but the items you absolutely need and then tell the company you are quitting. This way you will only have a small amount of clothes, some bedding, and a few other items like map, pens, etc to remove.

I had crap clothes for dirty work ,and never soied good stuff ,as I only wore crappy stuff when doing dirty stuff...But I guess because I was at the home terminal , And I was giving them advance notice of a leave so no loads were planned for fthe27 which would have bben my return date after my 4 earned days off ,And i spoke to my dispatcher , And all seemed fine I did not expexct this...However I really should have expected it as after all I have been at werner for just over 2 years ,and there is a reason you get negative feedback from 90% of the drivers working for them , And should have expected Werner and it's management to disrepect me as such .

But hey I took a leave last year ,and was going to look elsewhere ,and just decided to go back ,because it waas easy to do , However it was not a good choice as I once again will make below 34,800 this year with the ...W...., so destruction of my things and my dispatchers sarcasm towrds me wanting make a decnt living is the fuel I needed to get the FAWk away from them ,and look elsewhere .
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

don't remember signing stuff allowing them tomstick me like that. but there is always so much paperwork at orientation that a clause or whatever gets lost. all i am sure of is i was not paid last several loads and every time i go home i have another bill from them claiming another way i owe them even more money. and i was just a company driver, i feel for the lease purchase drivers they got.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choperbob
don't remember signing stuff allowing them tomstick me like that. but there is always so much paperwork at orientation that a clause or whatever gets lost. all i am sure of is i was not paid last several loads and every time i go home i have another bill from them claiming another way i owe them even more money. and i was just a company driver, i feel for the lease purchase drivers they got.

You mean FLEECE purchase....My EX dispatcher MR. "LICK" hart also tried to push that O/O truck plan on me unfortunately basic match is not something that evades me , So I can easily tell it's a lose/lose plan for the driver ,and politely said ...NO...

I'm also having issues with my payroll as I'm still getting paid 2 cents less than I should on my last trips , as I'm still listed as a trainer which you lose 2cpm to be ,and for some reason the 1cpm raise I was supoposed to see at 2 yrs never got on these trips either .

Training is something else they try to force on you ,and make it the only way to make any money with them , however you would be better rested and safer running 2 log books as a solo driver .