User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbtubas
go with a company with Eaton Auto Shifts the Meritor Ultra Shifts are the worse and have no low gear option (at least mine doesn't)
Every truck (auto) I've ran has been an Eaton - either the Ultra-shift (no clutch peddle) or the autoshift (with clutch). I prefer the ones with the clutch as it gives more control, especially in slick conditions.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa7272
.i was just asking a general question.

well actually what most pople dont talk about is the cash discount option driver solutions offers you can pay 2995 up front before you go, then if you leave before a year is up thye keep the 2995. if you stay the year you pay your portion of the tuition(1095 or 1495) and get the rest back

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
doesnt pam and all their divisions and averitt use autoshifts? just curious i thought i heard someone say that they did
PAM, I don't think so. Hell would freeze over before I worked for those jokers. Stay away if they are recruiting you.

Averitt is all auto. For the most part they have a good reputation and lots of local and regional runs. They run day cabs on the local runs.

I'm assuming Drivers Solutions is trying to court you by the choices you mentioned. Stay away. Their contract is very one sided and goes from $5995 if you stay a year to $10,000 if you leave for ANY reason before your year is up. I've seen the contract and it's not second hand info. There are much better contracts out there that don't penalize you if you leave early.
Well, if you MUST use Driver Solutions, I suggest you go with Averitt. PAM and USA Truck are flea bag outfits. They run garbage equipment and their reputations are less then desirable. The recruiters at DS will push PAM and USA hard and tell you things like "Averitt is not hiring in your area right now." Pure BS.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Board Regular

actually i just applied at stevens yesterday, got a call while i was at work today and couldnt answer but they emailed me everything I need to know as far as pay, school etc. so I have everything in writing unlike some outfits which send you nothing or a cheesy brochure then you finally see everything when u get there.

Gonna read the info they sent me i'll let you guys know of anything that sounds fishy.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
actually i just applied at stevens yesterday, got a call while i was at work today and couldnt answer but they emailed me everything I need to know as far as pay, school etc. so I have everything in writing unlike some outfits which send you nothing or a cheesy brochure then you finally see everything when u get there.

Gonna read the info they sent me i'll let you guys know of anything that sounds fishy.
I've never known the recruiters at Stevens to sugar coat anything. If anything they are brutally honest in telling you they keep drivers out awhile, which is good to be up front. Plus they'll give you money for food while in school. The only real downfall to their training is after you're done with your trainer for 5 weeks, they put you with another student for three weeks at training pay, not mileage pay. They do have long lenghts of haul and really nice equipment. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Board Regular

after reading the info they seem pretty straightforward im gonna call the recruiter on tuesday see when i can start.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Why would anyone want to inject a 3rd party into any hiring/schooling situation in this industry? Absurd!!

If a person is worth a "nit", has a good MVR, a brain, breaths, walks, speaks halfway intelligently.....and has a heartbeat, and can pass a DOT physical, then they should have virtually no problem getting trained or hired.... unless they have skeletons in the closet.

Hell's Fire people....there are more than enough companies out there that will buy your soul with free training....why in samhill would you want to wear concrete overshoes??

Remember this: Instant gratification normally backfires and sucks.

Taking your time, doing "due diligence" will pay off in the long run, which is normally a shorter term than the fleecing, wailing and thumping that goes with the hosing that follows "instant gratification".

"Indentured Servitude" is merely a fancy name for low paid slavery.

Oh, and to the original question: If you are partial to autoshifts, but cannot drive a manual...you will more than likely severely limit your future potential.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Board Regular

just got an approval email for stevens transport. all i need to do is schedule my orientation and school start date. Talked with roxy today and she will be calling me tommorrow to go over final details
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
just got an approval email for stevens transport. all i need to do is schedule my orientation and school start date. Talked with roxy today and she will be calling me tommorrow to go over final details
Good luck and do keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Board Regular

i think out of the choices i have(pam, usa stevens prime swift crt or ffe) stevens is the best. nothing was sugar coated by the recruiters, meals at training are covered no "150 seating fee" they drive kenworth t2000s. home time sucks but not a biggie want to get my year in and go to a better paying company.

The only drawback to swift who be better for me as far as hometime is the fat i would have to go to the millington academy, andi would go for 20 straight days tehn come home for 6 days then backto millington for 4 days of orientation and testing because of the tenesssee 30 day residency requirement

where do you guys think i would be better off at, stevens or swift?

I hear less bad things about stevens than swift so i figure the less bad stuff you hear the better.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you going to thier school in Dallas?