User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Eating on the Road

Well i hve been thinking hard about what to take on the road, like fridge/cooler, lunchbox stove, microwave ect.

Any suggestions. I'm not really a picky eater, just cant eat sandwiches all the time, and dont want to do the fast food, or truckstop food thing. any and all advice would be greatley appreciated. What products and foods do you reccomend, what do you think i should stay away from?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Board Regular

Since you are just starting out on your trucking adventure with a mentor, you should hold off on buying any items like coolers and microwaves untill you get finished training and have your own truck. The space on your trainers truck will probally be very limited as he will already have his stuff on the truck. So bring some cash with you, when you meet your mentor, talk to him about eating arrangements.

Plus, you need to be aware of your companies policies in regard to how big of an inverter you can use to power your microwave, etc.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member

As Larry said, since you will be spending the next 6 weeks on a truck with someone else your options are going to be very limited. Also space will be at a premium which is going to limit you to the basics.

So be prepared to be doing the fast food, truck stop resteraunt thing for the next several weeks.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm not sure what Swift's policy is on inverters and the size you can get. As far as a fridge, most guys use the Coleman travel cooler that has a cig 12 volt power adapter. Then there are lunchbox heaters that allow you to heat up food. Microwaves will depend on what size inverter you can have, as they use a lot of wattage and have a large surge.

Here's a link to 12 volt stuff you can use.

http://www.truckertradingpost.thetru...ories-3-1.html

Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Eating on the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpride
Well i hve been thinking hard about what to take on the road, like fridge/cooler, lunchbox stove, microwave ect.

Any suggestions. I'm not really a picky eater, just cant eat sandwiches all the time, and dont want to do the fast food, or truckstop food thing. any and all advice would be greatley appreciated. What products and foods do you reccomend, what do you think i should stay away from?

Thanks.
great site with suggestions and recipes.
www.roadcookin.com
Old 09-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Personally I dont do coolers or carry perishable food and I wont blow perfectly good money to buy one either. The only thing that I carry that has a limited shelf life is bread. PB & J, canned soups and stews and snacks within easy reach. I have a 12 volt water heater for coffee, other than I carry water which unknown to most people...tastes the same whether its cold or warm and better for you than sodas and juices.

Coolers get in the way, add weight and when they crap out in about 6 mos. or less are you willing to shell out more money for the thing?

If you need to cook something either use the microwave at a T/S or get a $4.00 sterno stove and cook your own.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Personally I dont do coolers or carry perishable food and I wont blow perfectly good money to buy one either. The only thing that I carry that has a limited shelf life is bread. PB & J, canned soups and stews and snacks within easy reach. I have a 12 volt water heater for coffee, other than I carry water which unknown to most people...tastes the same whether its cold or warm and better for you than sodas and juices.

Coolers get in the way, add weight and when they crap out in about 6 mos. or less are you willing to shell out more money for the thing?

If you need to cook something either use the microwave at a T/S or get a $4.00 sterno stove and cook your own.
I have had my 12 volt cooler for 10 years and it still works fine, it weighs about 5 pounds, fits nicely in the cubby hole in the sleeper..
Old 10-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

i recently bought a lunchbox stove they sell at T/S and so far it works great. I was amazed that it actually got hot... I got it at a pilot for $25 original was $29.99
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577

I have had my 12 volt cooler for 10 years and it still works fine, it weighs about 5 pounds, fits nicely in the cubby hole in the sleeper..
Lets be real...that 5lbs is empty weight. Now the one you may have bought 10 years ago works because it isnt the cheap junk you can get everywhere today.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Go to Walfart and grab you one of those mini crock pots they only cost $11.00. You will save a ton of money with one of those. It works with a 100 watt power inverter.

It takes about a half hour to heat up a can, I plug mine when I have 30-40 miles left to drive and it is ready to eat when you stop.

You can also buy a 20oz of bottled water (pour in crock pot) and some hot dogs and simply heat them up for about 30 min and chow down.

It will save you $40-$60.00(or more) a week Truck stops(TA and Flying J) advertise some BS dinner for only $9.99 :roll: by the time you buy a drink and leave a tip it comes out to about $15.00, add a salad and you are talking $17.00.