User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help me with my nerves....

I failed my state test twice so far. Its not lack of skill, the test is very easy. I should be able to do it blind folded. My problem is, I am so nervous when I take the test....really bad! I am in the truck shaking like a leaf. Everyone says I need to relax, I know this....but how???? Failing twice has got me reeling and I will be even more nervous next time. Any advice?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Try taking a few moments to close your eyes and picture yourself some where that you really like to be that is calm and peaceful. Once you have that pictured set that image in your mind and then when you open your eyes keep that image with you.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Rookie

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone. My nervousness with an instructor / during testing is my biggest problem. Most of us can do the skills but having an audience makes a big difference. Wish I had an answer that would help you because I'm looking for the same thing.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

I had the same problem the first time I took the test. Totally missed a down shift and stalled the truck for a automatic flunk.

The DOT Officer was a nice lady who tried to calm me before we started. She knew I was nervous from the pretrip.

The second day I had found out from a different student that she mentioned when he was testing she was a Nascar fan.

I am a huge Nascar fan so the second time I tested with her, before I even put the truck in gear I started talking about racing. The test was simple as we talked about Nascar the whole trip. It was like a Sunday drive through town. I got a perfect score.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

When taking the test, imagine the examiner in his/her underwear you will not feel nervous anymore. Hey it worked for Marsha Brady! :lol:
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Help me with my nerves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHunter
I failed my state test twice so far. Its not lack of skill, the test is very easy. I should be able to do it blind folded. My problem is, I am so nervous when I take the test....really bad! I am in the truck shaking like a leaf. Everyone says I need to relax, I know this....but how???? Failing twice has got me reeling and I will be even more nervous next time. Any advice?
Wow!! This is a TOUGH one! I was going to suggest the underwear thing, but someone beat me to it! :lol:

The Nascar approach has worked for MANY people in many similar situations.

Personally, I have only two suggestions:

ONE is to picture yourself 6 months down the road, in total control of your vehicle, and making money (like the rest of us!) See yourself as the "supertrucker" that we all joke about! If, indeed, you DO know the stuff.... then you are already THERE!!

The SECOND is to give up! I've said many times that trucking is NOT for WUSSES!!! If you're a WUSS.... then you don't need to be driving a truck! IMHO, there are two kinds of drivers.

One who just barely keeps from KILLING someone, because he's so cautious he "micromanages" every step of his journey. These guys usually slip up and hit a light pole or something and end their career!

The OTHER kind of driver is the CONFIDENT one. He KNOWS that if anyone ELSE can do this.... HE can! He is not "reckless," but he is self-assured! He knows when he gets up in the morning, that nothing is BIGGER than HIM.... or his task. He MAY hit something (though I doubt it,) but it won't be for lack of trying!

If I call you a WUSS a few more times, will it make you mad enough at me that you will be "driven" to prove me wrong?? I HOPE so!!

Consider the "tester" as a ride-along! A parent or girlfriend or something! YOU are the one who knows what you are doing, and you are going to SHOW them how good you are at it! Their opinion means SQUAT!! THIS is the way you are gonna drive your truck once free of all this B.S., and THEY are just lucky they got to see you DO IT!!

If, as you say, you KNOW your stuff.... this is the time to show it! It doesn't have to be PERFECT! It just has to be comfortable to YOU! Pretend you are "under dispatch," and this is your 100th load! You've been doing this ALL your life! :wink:

(Seriously... you get more positive points for "correcting" a mistake than you get negative ones for making it!! They are REALLY testing your APTITUDE... not your execution!)

DON'T drink any coffee before your test! The adrenalin will MORE than keep you focused! But, remember.... this is JUST another day in your future life! Have you failed at anything you ever did in your PAST life??

Keep your mind on what YOU are doing.... and FORGET about the tester and any marks he's making on a piece of paper! They are NOT all negative! Many are POSITIVE points for YOU! And, believe it or not.... he/she is on YOUR side!

Now.... are you gonna DO IT??? Or are you gonna WUSS out???

I don't think you can DO it!!! Are you gonna prove me RIGHT or WRONG??? :shock: :roll:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

take your time and don't be in a hurry.... like you said its a breeze
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Help me with my nerves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHunter
dont feel bad took me three tries to nail my test. i did everything perfect but on the driving I would do stupid stuff like hit a curb or pull the shifter out of gear as I stopped. my last test was with an x driver who could tell right away i knew what I was doing but was nervous being tested. he talked to me like we where just two guys on a Sunday drive and I aced the test. my other testers where very quite and I think the silence just made me all that more nervous. my advice take a few minutes and get to know the tester. try to loosen up and then just take him for a ride. just drive the truck. he doesn't expect you to be perfect just safe.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Just take a couple of shots of whiskey and take the test. :roll: JUST KIDDING!! :wink: You have been given some good advise. Something I would add is to tense each part of your body and then relax. Start with your toes and work your way up to the top of your head. Do this as you breath deeply and exhale slowly as you release the tension from your body. By the time you get to the top of your head, you should be relaxed. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it.