User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Idling

No, I am not joking about the idling policy. I understand that Shneider and J.B. are now also cracking down on idling. You might want to check with them to see what their policies are! 8) :roll:
Old 09-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Rookie

It's a waste! If you were a O/O would you just run the truck non stop? I'm happy to see more and more companies are starting to shut trucks down for id time, in place most companies offer an incentive to keep the off. Ask your dispatcher if there is such a program in the company. I know my west coasters don't Idle even in the winter and they make over $100 extra per one way for doing so
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_1
It's a waste! If you were a O/O would you just run the truck non stop? I'm happy to see more and more companies are starting to shut trucks down for id time, in place most companies offer an incentive to keep the off. Ask your dispatcher if there is such a program in the company. I know my west coasters don't Idle even in the winter and they make over $100 extra per one way for doing so
Well not idling in winter is one thing, you can use a sleeping back or lots of blankets and a lot of companies use bunk heaters. But if the temp drops below 50 I'm idling. But I flat out refuse to be hot in the summer. especially if you're in a humid location or in the desert areas. No way you can't idle 24/7 in those areas.

Idling is no different than using the heat and a/c in your own home. If a company says I can't idle in 30 degrees or 90 degrees, then adios!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If a driver literally lets his truck run 24/7 then, yes there is a problem and I have no qualms about a company taking that driver to task. IMHO a driver should shut the truck down anytime and everytime he is out of the truck for any length of time unless there is a real good reason not too, like in -20 F weather.

What I do have an issue with are companies, and the government, telling drivers when they can and can not idle their trucks when they are in them attempting to rest. "Comfort" is a very individual thing and there is no way to take a universal approach to what comfort, or safe temps, are.

As far as these companies go that have these very strict idle policies I feel that they need to get off their azzes and start equipping their trucks with equipment that allows a driver to turn off the truck and still maintain a comfortable environment in the sleeper in order to obtain the rest s/he needs to be a safe and productive employee.

If they (the company exec's and govt officials) think it is so easy to get a good quality rest without any kind of HVAC they really need to go pitch a tent in a field somewhere and try to take a nap from 2-6pm in the summer with all the windows zipped shut or sleep in the winter when the temp in 30 degrees outside, and let them do that for at least a week.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Rookie

STrucker
yes I agree 100 % , I would not want to give up creature comforts for anything, including a potty. ( I'm Female) So it's a lady jane for me not a wide mouth jug thown on the offramp. But to make more and be given kuddos for savings and maybe being hot or cold, is worth it if you have a GOOD dispatcher and company that gives a dam and rewards the efforts to save in the fuel department.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
STrucker
yes I agree 100 % , I would not want to give up creature comforts for anything, including a potty. ( I'm Female) So it's a lady jane for me not a wide mouth jug thown on the offramp.
I can appreciate your concerns... but I carry a "porta-potty" like this:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...orta-potti.htm

I would be extremely cautious about dumping anywhere....as some states consider all bodily waste as "hazardous materials".......

On the lighter (comical side) here is another version......

http://www.bumperdumper.com/ ........ this is the version for the less civilized?

Quote:
But to make more and be given kuddos for savings and maybe being hot or cold, is worth it if you have a GOOD dispatcher and company that gives a dam and rewards the efforts to save in the fuel department.
True enough....or they provide you with IdleAir as a company benefit, and don't bite you on the butt when you do have to idle.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Default miles not idling

i agree shut it of when you can but do the companys think about that if they kept drivers moving instead of sitting for 23 /34 hrs waiting on lds the miles to idling ratio would be a lot less and if you notice 23/34 hrs is just less than the required time needed to pay mandatory layover pay think they know that
:wink:
Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I work for SNI and they can shove their idle bonus up their arses.
I dont care about any bonus and idle if I need cooler air, in the winter I have a bunk heater.