User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default D.O.T. INSPECTIONS

Here lately I've noticed A LOT of inspections going down in the Ohio/Indiana/Michigan/Pennsylvania areas! Hell, the other day I pulled into a scale and there were 4... YES, 4 D.O.T. cars sittin out back, 2 Ohio troopers, and 3 rigs with hoods popped, and troopers EVERYWHERE!!! I was sure they were gonna hit me, haha. As I passed through at 5mph, with my shades on I could also see numerous bodies in the office area movin all around..... :shock: But.... I made it through O.K.!!!

My question is, having never been D.O.T. inspected..... what REALLY goes down??? From what I understand the "green" light turn "red".... so you pull around to the rear? Then what??? I fellow employee... who blows A LOT of smoke, haha, said he was once D.O.T.'d and they even took a urine sample..... :? Is this for real??? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.... because I'm sure its gonna happen sooner or later!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: D.O.T. INSPECTIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003

My question is, having never been D.O.T. inspected..... what REALLY goes down??? From what I understand the "green" light turn "red".... so you pull around to the rear? Then what???
It depends on what level of inspection they do. Level One is the most thorough..... complete vehicle, you, and logbook. If you pass everything, the tractor and trailer get a "sticker". If there are problems found, depending on what they are....it can range from a "fixit slip" to $$ fines.

Quote:
I fellow employee... who blows A LOT of smoke, haha, said he was once D.O.T.'d and they even took a urine sample..... :?
He's full of :dung: :dung: :dung: I've been through 5 level one inspections and never had to pee in the bottle. The Fed has extremely strict rules as to who, when, and where it can be done. And the chain of evidence has to be maintained scrupulously....not to mention all involved in collecting the samples have to be certified in the procedure.

Quote:
.. because I'm sure its gonna happen sooner or later!!!
8) At some point it probably will. AND....more than likely it will happen when you least expect it. All the more reason to keep a straight, honest and neat logbook, and inspect your equipment closely, and note even "mickey-mouse" deficiencies on your DVIR/PTI.

Here's a hint for all new drivers: If you get "chosen" for an inspection... DO NOT give the officer any lip, grief, or get too friendly or joke with him or her. Be 100% mature and professional. DO NOT volunteer anything, and answer any and all questions with a minimum of verbiage. They may or may not ask you any questions.... but if they do, keep it "simple". Know what you are carrying, and if you are carrying hazmat, make darn sure your paperwork is correct, your placards are right for the load, that you have your ERG and Hazmat Boot handy....they should ideally be with the bills. AND if you are carrying hazmat....make sure the bills are where they are supposed to be.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:25 AM
Board Regular

Thanks Skywalker!!!

I kinda figured he was full of it, hahaha!!! Seeing as how he has a story for EVERY bit of conversation we've ever had... :roll:

Another question that you may or may not know the answer too..... What are those officers behind those tinted windows doing as we pass through??? I just HATE passing through those scales, lol!!! Oh, and what determines the level of inspection? I've also seen D.O.T. just pull trucks over, then when I'd pass awhile later, they'd STILL be sittin there with the hood flipped and figures under the trailer.... :lol: WTF???
Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Thanks Skywalker!!!

I kinda figured he was full of it, hahaha!!! Seeing as how he has a story for EVERY bit of conversation we've ever had... :roll:
A "shuck & jive" artist???? :?

Quote:
Another question that you may or may not know the answer too..... What are those officers behind those tinted windows doing as we pass through???
Depending on the state....they could be typing in your truck number and the time you cross the scale in the event of a tax audit, or they could just be watching the scale to make sure you are not wrong on weights. Also some of them are looking over your equipment for "obvious defects". I got pulled around back by the OHDOT on the southbound scale on I-71 south of Columbus...the officer thought I had a tire worn down to the steel belts....but it was light colored mud..... and from a distance it looked like a badly worn tire. They could be doing "anything".

Quote:
I just HATE passing through those scales, lol!!! Oh, and what determines the level of inspection?
They do. I believe that the Fed requires them to inspect "X" number of vehicles per year at certain levels. You can also "cause" a higher level inspection to occur by inappropriate comments or conduct. Not that I suspect that you would do that....

Quote:
I've also seen D.O.T. just pull trucks over, then when I'd pass awhile later, they'd STILL be sittin there with the hood flipped and figures under the trailer.... :lol: WTF???
Its usually a random selection process..... and the inspections can be somewhat time consuming....and remember if you ever get inspected, every minute spent in the scale is logged on Line 4, On Duty Not Driving.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 09-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

also be careful in PA-they tend to set up Inspections in their rest areas
Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
also be careful in PA-they tend to set up Inspections in their rest areas
Yes they do, and Montana does too. 8)

I got nabbed for a Level One in Lexington, KY by a Lexington PD Officer on the loop around the city. They are CVSA qualified and did a "bang up" job, gave me my stickers and even thanked me for my time!! 8)

Old 09-21-2007, 03:20 AM
Board Regular

Knock on wood I havent had a full inspection in a year and a half last time i got checked was during the cvsa check in 2006 but the DOT officer came to a job site on private properity where another driver and I were backed into which i didnt think they could do
Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Board Icon

One other thing Unkut-Be respectful to the officers-It'll go a long way and instead of getting a ticket they MIGHT let you off with a warning.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 AM

You arent kinding Ohio was crawling with DOT on I75 and us 33
Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
One other thing Unkut-Be respectful to the officers-It'll go a long way and instead of getting a ticket they MIGHT let you off with a warning.
That will get you half way thorugh and inspection. Got stopped at the Hubbard OH scales a few months ago, he told me we could be there for 20 minutes or all day, told him i liked 20 minutes, handed him my paperwork and opended the hood. I did what i was told to do and 20 minutes later he handed me my paper work and had slapped CVSA stickers on the truck and trailer. He did tell me that one brake on the trailer was "close" to being out of adjustment and that i needed to get it taken care of when i got back home.