LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Linehaul Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Zombie
I'm new and lucky to have a decent job right off the bat. But I'm always looking for the next step !
I can give you some advice from my experience.

First LTL job was with Conway, things slowed down and I jumped ship to Roadway. Looking back it seemed like it was a good move to make? It wasn't. I should have stayed with Conway, not long after I left things picked up and they (Conway) hired 40 more people the next year. Would have moved up to a bid position instead of the extraboard.

Roadway....I got hired in as a road driver (not a casual). The money was good but say goodbye to your life. You live by the phone 24/7 in and out of hotels, some nice some not. Takes Years, I mean years to get a bid run because no one retires from Roadway. The Union is taking down YRC (Yellow Roadway Corp), expenses for the company keep going up and the Union demands more and more and eventually the Union will fold YRC and someone will buy them out and scrap everything... (DHL).

From my experience and people that I know that went to other places, UPS Package is the top of the food chain. Fedex and UPS freight are growing very quickly so any time is a good time to get in with them. Conway and Estes are also decent company's. Avoid Roadway, Yellow, USF Holland and ABF. Don't know much about NEMF, SAIA, RL Carriers or some of the others.

Some might not agree with me and maybe some will? I got burnt out on the LTL, one month busy and the next the docks are empty. I figured I would try something different so I haul fuel now and it's pretty consistent.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
I'll bet you'll be a happy camper when(or if) they finish the Hoover Dam bypass bridge. I heard it was delayed a year or so because of some problems.
oiy, you got that right. The bridge is WAY up there and they are building it on the dryside, so you better hope you never get blown off the edge.....looooong way down. The original finish date was 08, but they got ahead of schedule and they moved it up to 07, then a huge crane got blown over and it was moved back to 08. When the wife and I go up to Lost Wages for safety meetings or the Christmas party, we always go over the dam and she (like me) is scared to death of heights and says she will NEVER go over the bridge. :lol:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 09-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Zombie, I guess your run is good compared to OTR and you get home daily is cool, but you could be making 1200 gross working for many of these LTL outfits doing practically the same thing, maybe just getiing home once or twice a week. The traffic part sucks- Danger, danger! Whatever makes you happy! Id stay where youre at till you got a year or 2 under your belt, then go a shoppin fer LTL yerbs.