User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree with Truckerswife above that my wife makes me living on the road possible in many ways.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Rookie

I've come across plenty of people at Schneider who make $75k+. Typically, they are trainers with 2 or 3 students at a time.

Honestly, there are many trucking jobs that will get you in that salary range. But keep in mind that you will be working 70+ hours/week. Compare that with the comfy office job that pays 35-40k a year, and it's not all that much better. You would just be putting in a lot of "overtime".
Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 PM

You need experience,you have to have something to bring to the table to get hired. My advice is to go to a truck driving school and get your CDL,they have companies that recruit out of the school but it is generally considered a bad deal but will get you alot of seat time and some more training. Or find a local co that has bobtails and tractor trailers,let them know you have a CDL and will drive the smaller trucks to gain exp. if you are aggressive about learning you will move up fast,shorten your low pay time then look into getting your own truck. Pay your dues,it's not rocket science,but $75k as a company driver is a long way away where done properly you can gross $100k plus with your own truck and get closer to your $75k mark. You may want to look into 3P it's not a bad deal,good luck where ever you end up.

http://www.3pdelivery.com/Opportunit...ctCarrier.aspx
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturethis
So will either of these companies hire me on without any trucking experience? And will they help me to obtain my CDL?
Yup. I drive linehaul for UPS Freight. They will hire you as a part time dockworker. You will be classified as part time because you wont get top pay or benefits but you will get all the hours you want. Part time starts at like 11-12 hour. After getting hired get your temp CDL permit and tell your boss you want to learn to drive, move trailers, jockey and get your CDL. Once you have your CDL your job classification will be changed to Fulltime dock w/cdl. You'll get driver pay (19-22/hr) and bennies even though you're still working the dock. They'll use you in the city when they need you and as you gain seniority you can change to city driver or road driver. It'll vary by terminal and manpower but I would guess you could be a city or road driver in 1-4 years, probably closer to 1 than 4. Keep in mind this is UPS Freight, the LTL division of parcel. At Parcel you will be part time dock for years, then full time package car (the little brown trucks) for years, then tractor trailers. Which is a very good job and you're young enough to do it but you'll probably need two jobs cause their part timers only get 20-25 hrs.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member