User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

trucks are like women, you have to have just the right touch to please them. it's all about the RPM, make it purrr just right and you can always slide it in.

my current tractor is in the shop for top end work and the replacement tractor is the same make,model, and year, does it shift the same??
not a chance!!

as said above, if you dont grind a gear every once in a while you are not a truck driver.

Remember--- it is dangerous to be comsumed with down shifting that truck when coming up to a stop, you are coasting and reving the engine, if you do get it in gear and the rpm's are to high the truck can lurch forward and you are going even faster.

Bottom line-- leave it in gear, flip on the jake brake, AND KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE!

BTY- remember to turn off the jake, truck doesn't shift too good going up.

Saftey first-every thing else will come in time.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoplocust
cool tip i am as rookie as can be right now so if anyone's got any more shifting advice please leme know. sometimes i grind going from 2-3 for some reason starting from first. also it eems like i can only downshift if i rev the engine to almost 2k in the truck i use. maybeits the truck but if not it would be good to learn a little more. i did it find in school but u know how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelman
RIGHT ON THE MONEY DEUS!!!

when i was training for the tankers my trainer asked me why in the hell are you down shifting so much?? He has a couple million miles under his belt
and said if you are watching the traffic ahead and know you need to stop just let up on the throttle and let it bog down till your almost stopped then throw it into 4th or 5th just before stopping. He said its excess use of the gears and if you need that engine compression to slow you down then your going too damn fast in the first place!!!

my 2 cents worth,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Every truck has it's own personality. We slip seat at my company and while I usually get the same truck I've driven most of the other tractors in our fleet. Some of them I nail every single gear no grinding at all, others I grind quite a bit. All depends on the driving habits of the previous drivers. All of our trucks are the same, but they are all different. This goes for every fleet on the road.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Do as Deus suggested. Once I learned the "math" of the gears it made things go smoothly. It also helps when you have to grab a gear fast because of some situation that just presented itself. Just watch your tact. 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears are so close together that the math isn't really accurate. 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th the math works fairly well.

Soladad
Old 09-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
The day you stop grinding gears will be the day after you retire from trucking :lol:

That sounds about right!!! I have a ZF meritor "freedomline" fully automated trans in my truck, even it grinds em once in a while...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Board Regular

Hey THANKS!!! I'm sure all of us can learn from this!!! Oh, and I run a 10 speed hi/low.... not sure if this the same or not??