Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD2
GMAN,

I did give a urine sample that was the first thing they asked Me to do. On my papers My urine tested fine I thought the Drug test and DOT physical were two separate documents You have to have?

When I have my physical they always take a urine sample. They test for drugs and diabetes.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewbie
On that TV show "Myth Busters", two guys each ate 2 bagels with poppy seeds (I think bagels) and they tested positive for almost 48 hrs afterward! Saw the episode about 4 mos ago.
I spoke with a tester a few years ago and was told that they have been able to make allowances for poppy seeds.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Rookie

Thanks I guess this clears up the subject.

Looking at My paper work the is a section that says "Laboratory And Other Test Findings" looks like My urine tested negative. I guess they would have not given Me a two year DOT card without a drug test. LOL. Now this is starting to make sense

Thanks All
Old 09-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD2
Thanks I guess this clears up the subject.

Looking at My paper work the is a section that says "Laboratory And Other Test Findings" looks like My urine tested negative. I guess they would have not given Me a two year DOT card without a drug test. LOL. Now this is starting to make sense

Thanks All
NO!! The urine that they tested when you did the DOT physical was not a drug test. Sounds like that was the urine that they did the strip dip in. They dip a strip of test paper into the urine to test for sugar in your urine (diabetes). The DOT drug test is separate from that test and has nothing to do with getting your medical card for 2 years.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like this guy is worried about something. When you take a piss test you should not be worried. If you are there is something to be concerned about.

If you have a false positive they do a backup test that makes sure it is not a false positive.

Stay off the sauce. :wink:
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
On that TV show "Myth Busters", two guys each ate 2 bagels with poppy seeds (I think bagels) and they tested positive for almost 48 hrs afterward! Saw the episode about 4 mos ago.
Quick note on that - the mythbusters test was an HR spot test, not a professional test. The spot kit is 'supposed' to be used in conjunction with behavioral or other symptoms (if they see you trying to get your trucks phone number for instance) and doesn't need any kind of MD title to work. The modern DOT test is supposed to be a two part spectral analysis - the type of test that poppy seeds aren't going to automatically false positive you on. If the first test is clean you're good, if not it gets run through another machine - if both machines come back positve you're SOL.

False positives account for something like 0.00001% of the tests and nowadays usually have a backup sample to contest. The only thing you have to worry about is what drugs you've done recently.

PS - some companies are moving onto hair analysis now. Hair doesn't let go of drugs over time like urine does.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers
Quote:
Quick note on that - the mythbusters test was an HR spot test, not a professional test. The spot kit is 'supposed' to be used in conjunction with behavioral or other symptoms (if they see you trying to get your trucks phone number for instance) and doesn't need any kind of MD title to work. The modern DOT test is supposed to be a two part spectral analysis - the type of test that poppy seeds aren't going to automatically false positive you on. If the first test is clean you're good, if not it gets run through another machine - if both machines come back positve you're SOL.

False positives account for something like 0.00001% of the tests and nowadays usually have a backup sample to contest. The only thing you have to worry about is what drugs you've done recently.

PS - some companies are moving onto hair analysis now. Hair doesn't let go of drugs over time like urine does.

Here is some information on "poppy seeds" and D.O.T. testing.

Quote:
Q: I have heard that consuming lots of poppy seeds can cause a positive test for heroin. Is this true? I eat a poppyseed muffin everyday for breakfast, is it true that I might test positive for opiates?

A: Poppy seeds contain sufficient amounts of morphine to produce detectable concentrations of morphine and codeine in urine. But a test may be considered a positive for heroin, both legally and scientifically only if heroin, or its metabolite momoacetylmorphine (6-mam), is identified in the urine specimen. This result cannot be caused by consuming poppy seeds. This determination can only be made by a Medical Review Officer pursuant to an analysis by gc/ms for 6-mam or heroin. All positive results reported by All American Research and Drug Testing have been reviewed and confirmed by one of our certified Medical Review Officers (MRO's).

http://www.allamericanresearch.com/faq.htm
---------------------------------------------

Quote:
Testimony on Federal Workplace Drug-Testing by Joseph H. Autry III, M.D.
Acting Director
Center for Substance Abuse Prevention
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Before the House Committee on Commerce, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
July 23, 1998

"The primary purpose of the Federal workplace-based drug testing program is to deter use of illegal substance of abuse in large groups of individuals subject to testing, and detect those individuals clearly using illicit drugs. Revising the testing cutoff concentrations for opiates to 2,000 ng/mL and adding the requirement to detect 6-AM will eliminate the laboratory identification to Medical Review Officers (MROs) of most persons legitimately using opiate-containing pharmaceuticals available by medical prescription or in over-the-counter preparations, or those who have ingested poppy seeds. Effective April 1, 1994, because of similar concerns and its program experience over the previous 5 years, the Uniformed Services Drug Testing Program for the Department of Defense also adopted increases to 2,000 ng/mL in the initial assay testing cutoff concentrations for opiates, with increases in confirmation testing to 4,000 ng/mL for morphine, 2,000 ng/mL for codeine, and the addition of 10 ng/mL for 6-acetylmorphine."

http://www.hhs.gov/asl/testify/t980723f.html
The backup sample can be used if an individual has failed the drug test and has been notified by the MRO of this failure. The individual must request the "backup sample" be tested. It is not done as a routine SOP.

kc0iv
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Colts Fan,

I'm not worried nor am I trying to hide something. I figured there was another part to the DOT test as Scoe stated. Glad I know now just didnt want to spend money on the same test twice