User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Georgia Class A CDL Question

Hello everyone:

I live in Georgia and just started to work for a used truck dealer. I would like to get my class A cdl so that I can deliver the trucks and trailers I will be selling. I do not have the ability to attend a traditional school because of my work schedule. Is there a way to obtain a class A cdl without attending a school? We have trucks and trailers on our lot, so I have access to the equipment. What is involved with getting a class A versus a class B? I was told the class B license is easier to get and with that I can drive the tractors but not the combination of truck and trailer.

I am looking for advice and / or input. I think the class A is the way to go but I don't want to set myself up for failure either.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Georgia Class A CDL Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAtlanta
Hello everyone:

I live in Georgia and just started to work for a used truck dealer. I would like to get my class A cdl so that I can deliver the trucks and trailers I will be selling. I do not have the ability to attend a traditional school because of my work schedule. Is there a way to obtain a class A cdl without attending a school? We have trucks and trailers on our lot, so I have access to the equipment. What is involved with getting a class A versus a class B? I was told the class B license is easier to get and with that I can drive the tractors but not the combination of truck and trailer.

I am looking for advice and / or input. I think the class A is the way to go but I don't want to set myself up for failure either.

Thanks in advance for the input.

You can take the CDL test at the DMV but unless you have a truck to drive for the practical skills part, you SOL.

You are better off going to a school, find the time or find another job.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Alot of the schools around ATL do offer weekend classes, not sure if you seen that. Sorry cant help with your question though, I am headed to maverick next week for my training
Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Georgia Class A CDL Question

Is there a way to obtain a class A cdl without attending a school?
Yes, go to the DMV, take the knowledge test(s,) get a permit, get a truck, take the skills test(s,) pay the fee and you're set.

The rub - getting the truck for the test. Most insurance companies will not permit a newbie driving a O/O's truck, most self insured carried won't loan you one, and you cannot buy one yourself without the license.

What is involved with getting a class A versus a class B?
Class-A involves more driving skill and a better understanding of vehicle charactoristics and travel dynamics - Class-B is much like driving a really big pickup but doesn't help your position.

I think the class A is the way to go but I don't want to set myself up for failure either.
I can't think how even a class-b with airbrakes could possibly hurt you. At the very least you'd be able to drive a tractor. Also allows you some more options in case the job ever falls through. A class-a a treasure worth having especially if your current boss allows you some road time under his insurance - be sure you check, most small companies around me CANNOT insure a rookie so it be best to make sure before doing anything else.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

If you can get your employer to show you how to drive a tractor trailer and allow you to practice enough to pass the skills test you would be good to go for the current job any way.

You will need to go to the DMV and take the written tests for a Class A CDL with Air brakes in order to obtain a learners permit to legally drive, with a lisc driver, any of those units off of private property.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The biggest challenge in getting a CDL without attending classes is the truck. You cannot rent a truck without a CDL. You cannot get the CDL without the truck. It is a catch 22. In your situation, you say that you can get the truck from your employer. You will likely also need to find a trailer to take your test. With a little studying, you should not have any trouble passing the written test. You will need to find a way to practice with a big truck and trailer in order to pass the driving test. You will also need to know how to do a proper PTI (Pre-trip inspection). You may be able to pay an instructor at a local school to help you with the pre-trip and some of the basics. If there is another CDL holder who works at your company, they could also help you. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Rookie

I went to dalys truck driving school in buford , they are very good and they offer weekends classes of 6 weeks period, if you dont want to go to school well go to gainsville take the test but trust me 1 out of 10 pass without going to school. good luck. if you go to school tell jay or harry, the kid kevin sent you there lol.

www.dalystruckdrivingschool.com
Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 PM

When I took my test, the testing facility provided the truck. It cost me 285 bucks and this was in 1996. I took all the tests and got my permit. learned to drive at a construction company I was working at and took my test 30 days later. You need to really practice at your job if you can. You won't pass the driving test reading the book.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

First: Go to your ocal DMV and get the CDL study guide ( Commerical Drivers Manual ). I take it you will not need any endorsements so you only need to study sections 1,2,3,5,6,11,12 and 13. After you study these go to the DMV and take the written test for your permit.

Now: Do you work with anyone that knows how to drive? If so, get them to show you how a big truck shifts. Bobtail around on the yard ( lot ) to get the hang of it ( shifting that is ).

The next step is the PTI ( pre-trip inspection ). Once again if you have some to help you to learn the parts that you are looking at will help. See if a school will give you a copy of the check list. If not I'm sure someone here can provide a link or post one for you. If not, let me know and I will try to get one to you.

If you look in section 12 of the manual you will see the different types of backing skills you MAY be tested on. Once again, if your lot is big enough to set up for these tests then I can give you the mesurements and step by step instructions on how to complete each skills test.

Before this becomes too long and drawn out please let me know what you have access to.

Ridge
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Something else I just thought of. Whose insurance is going to cover you?