User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking of leaving Local LTL to go OTR.

Hey all,

I have been local for about 16 months, currently i work for Conway. I run night linehaul which i dont like at all because i drive 4.5 hours round trip and work the dock about 5-6 hours each night. i was forced onto linehaul.

The dock conditions at conway are no piece if cake, no fans, no heating, no bumpers on doors.

Now, im only 22 yrs old, and ever since High School i wanted to drive truck and eventually become a manager of some sort in the industry.

I love driving truck, but i want more options for Resume. So thats why i have decided to finally go back to school to get my Logistics Business Degree.
To start with i am taking classes Online via the internet for the first 2 years.

Now, also i have always wanted to try the OTR thing, but after school in feb of 06, i met my current g/f and she kept me local. But know she thinks i should get the "otr" out of my system. I agree with her.

So my plans now are, drive for roehl 7-4/7-3 Flatbed. This way i will get home often, and i can finally scratch the itch i have been having.

If i plan it right, i can do my classes during my break and time off, (i will be getting a laptop mobile broadband card.

Now, i know the money doing OTR will be less that what i make now, at conway i make $18.25/hr for hooking/dropping/ dockwork and $.42/mile for driving. If i work a 60 hour week, i gross about $1200/week take home about $850.
But i am getting so bored and i have no time for my schooling, I only have 10 hours off per day, (this give me time to drive home/to work, Sleep, eat, doing schoolwork.) it just isnt enough, plus i cant sleep very well during the day, so im always tired.

I know some might think i'm crazy, but after 9 months at conway, i know its not the company for me, i just dont agree with there policy's.

I dont have any kids, house or pets..... Just a supportive g/f who doesnt live with me, (she goes to school)

So thats my plan,

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Regular

Do you think OTR is any better? I think you could find a better local job. Maybe there's a union gig around your area. Honestly, an OTR job you'll be working 100hrs, logging 70 hours and getting paid for 40 hours. The old saying goes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Remember going OTR isn't your only other choice.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

ColdFrostyMug, where are ya!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Right here shaking my head in utter disbelief. :lol:

Wait until this guy wants to get married and start a family.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyh
Do you think OTR is any better? I think you could find a better local job. Maybe there's a union gig around your area. Honestly, an OTR job you'll be working 100hrs, logging 70 hours and getting paid for 40 hours. The old saying goes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Remember going OTR isn't your only other choice.
I understand that OTR isnt may not be as glamorous. and i've been searching for another local gig, but since i am only 22 (most require 23) my options are limited, i, really dont like LTL anymore, any local gig that i want, the age is 23...

I dont need the grass to be greener for OTR...... I am taking college classes and working towards my degree, So i will MAKE my grass greener, when i complete my schooling.

My plan was to try OTR for 6 months, then in april, i'll be 23, so if i really hate it, i will get another local gig, because i can be hired by mostly anyone.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Right here shaking my head in utter disbelief. :lol:

Wait until this guy wants to get married and start a family.
I know where your coming from.... but i dont want to try for that much longer.... but i want to get the experience form OTR, so i can say i did it.

BUT, my girlfriend is 100% behind me (and since she doesn't live with me,she can spend time with her family who she lives with.), and by the time i get married & start a family, I will be done with my schooling (Logistics degree), & so will my girlfriend (RN Nurse degree) so i think two very well educated, in demand job field people, can raise a family and have a happy relationship.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Your thinking is irrational, but thats because you're only 22. You wont agree with me until your 42. Truth is you have very little chance of getting a degree with this plan. You are more committed to OTR than you are to a degree. If you were committed to a degree and your g/f you would come up with a different plan. You're looking for someone to agree with you but you're gonna do what you want anyway. Thats fine, but just come out and say you want to go OTR and quit using school as a reason. Have fun on the road, be safe, and enjoy life.

Love,
Dad
:lol:
Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyh
I understand that OTR isnt may not be as glamorous. and i've been searching for another local gig, but since i am only 22 (most require 23) my options are limited, i, really dont like LTL anymore, any local gig that i want, the age is 23...

I dont need the grass to be greener for OTR...... I am taking college classes and working towards my degree, So i will MAKE my grass greener, when i complete my schooling.

My plan was to try OTR for 6 months, then in april, i'll be 23, so if i really hate it, i will get another local gig, because i can be hired by mostly anyone.
Not if you change your jobs more frequently than your under wear! :wink:
Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM

you will not have much time to get a degree going otr. might i suggest sticking it out and going to school. i once worked full time and went to school in an adult program, one night a week and a study group once a week. worked out great, but one could not do it otr.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM

I just went the opposite way, went from OTR to local linehaul. I am telling you, DONT GO FROM LOCAL TO OTR. If you dont want OTR anymore, its very hard to get to job interviews if you are 2000 miles away from home. I quit without a job to go to because I couldnt take the F/M and dispatcher BS anymore at Shaffer. And the company I drive linehaul for now called me over ONE day for an interview, ONE day for driving test another day drug test another day for this and that. It took 4 weeks till I could start and if I would have been OTR I wouldnt have been home to go to the appointments and other job interviews I went to. Just my experience.