User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Arrow info wanted for newbie

I am attending Central Tech and very interested in flatbed. The recruiters haven't started coming to school yet, but I have been looking at Arrow (I live in OK). Can anyone give me some info on what to expect as a newbie, questions to ask, or any other help?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Default Re: Arrow info wanted for newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner
I am attending Central Tech and very interested in flatbed. The recruiters haven't started coming to school yet, but I have been looking at Arrow (I live in OK). Can anyone give me some info on what to expect as a newbie, questions to ask, or any other help?
What did you want to know? If you go to Arrow, you will spend the first week in oreintation where you will take a physical and drug test. Then you watch some videos and have to take two backing and driving tests. At the end of the week you go over securment. After orientation, you wait at the hotel until they find a trainer. Some get trainers as soon as they get out and some have to wait a few days. They want you to drive for about 120 hours with the trainer, takes about 3 weeks usually, then you go back to the terminal where you have to test out and then you get your own truck (probably a freightliner or KW) which you can take home with you. Linehaul stays out a minimum of 3 weeks, with 1 day off for every 7 out, .34 cpm to start, $30 to tarp.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Rookie

I noticed you mentioned linehaul. Is it worth asking if a newbie can get a regional position or are those saved for expirienced drivers? When you commit to a position, is a contract required and if so, what are the typical terms (of any company for that matter)?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

How's your driving record? If it's good, have you looked at Maverick? They pay is much better and so is the equipment.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Rookie

I am only a few weeks into Central Tech CDL school. I am 52 years old and have a clean driving record for well over 25 years. I thought I would stand a better chance of regional with Arrow. I have looked at Maverick, but they appear too good for a beginner and didn't think I had a chance. I don't want the 3 weeks out otr. I am committed to put up with it for 3 - 4 months if neccesary. I really do want flatbed, however.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I noticed you mentioned linehaul. Is it worth asking if a newbie can get a regional position or are those saved for expirienced drivers? When you commit to a position, is a contract required and if so, what are the typical terms (of any company for that matter)?
Regional drivers get paid percentage (26%)of the load-nothing for deadhead and I don't think they get anything extra to tarp the load either. And they usually have shorter runs. But they do get better home time. They will let a newbie on reagonal if they have an opening. When I started I asked about the super southeast regional and there was a waiting list. But after I heard complaints from other drivers who were on regional, I decided to stick with linehaul.
I have never heard of a contract for a company driver at any company unless the company was paying for them to go to school. You can switch positions around after you start if one is not working out for you. Even If you think you would like the lease purchase and end up that you don't like it, you can switch back to company driver (but don't try lease purchase until after you get experience and talk to some of the guys who are trying it, it doesn't work out for most).
Old 09-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Rookie

I paid for the school myself to avoid the commitment companies put on you when they pay for school. I almost went that route twice, but caught on to both scams just in time (I read the fine print). I don't mind a little less pay if the people are good and the job is right. I'm not afaid to work either. I have spoken with Arrow and they seem to be good people. I have only looked at Mavericks website. They look like a class act. I should probably send in an app to them. Thanks for the info, and keep it coming.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I am only a few weeks into Central Tech CDL school. I am 52 years old and have a clean driving record for well over 25 years. I thought I would stand a better chance of regional with Arrow. I have looked at Maverick, but they appear too good for a beginner and didn't think I had a chance. I don't want the 3 weeks out otr. I am committed to put up with it for 3 - 4 months if neccesary. I really do want flatbed, however.
If getting home every week is important to you, you may want to try one of the other companies. I stay out for a while but I don't have any kids and am single. I stayed out for over a month this last time, but I am taking a full week off, which works for me. Arrow probably does have a regional position open, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Good Luck with whichever company you decide to go with. Can I ask why you want flatbedding?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Rookie

I want flatbedding because of the equipment (it appears to be better), and the tarping. I don't want to just sit in a truck. Unloading freight with a dolly doesn't appeal to me. I also like the thought of hauling big items. I guess it just looks like what I want. I lived in the northeast for 45 years so the weather thing doesn't bother me either. I have a few friends that haul overloads and they have shown me quite a few tricks to secureing loads. Those big box trailers look boaring.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I paid for the school myself to avoid the commitment companies put on you when they pay for school. I almost went that route twice, but caught on to both scams just in time (I read the fine print). I don't mind a little less pay if the people are good and the job is right. I'm not afaid to work either. I have spoken with Arrow and they seem to be good people. I have only looked at Mavericks website. They look like a class act. I should probably send in an app to them. Thanks for the info, and keep it coming.
Paying for your school was the way I went too, and I don't regret it.

Arrow has a good training program imo. They didn't send me into the north east for several months and the first time I got a load up there (went to Rhode Island), my dm called me to make sure that I thought I could handle it which I thought was a cool thing to do. I have heard drivers from other companies getting sent in to NYC on their 2nd trip and freak out, but Arrow is good about trying to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen. That was a big fear I had when I started but Arrow made sure no to send me into something before I got up the experince to do it. Like I have done 3 oversize loads. The first one, I had two other heavy haul drivers there to make sure I got everything right, the 2nd time there were some other linehaul drivers there and we got together and made sure we had everything right and ran up there together. And the last time I ended up doing it on my own.