User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
its a no brain er, take the pay.
So you're advising the OP to take a salary of 33k to 37k instead of going with cpm and making about 40k to 45k his first year? My own numbers add up to a projected 43k to 44k for my first 12 months on the job.

And the reasoning behind taking 7k to 12k LESS money per year is because firemen and WalMart drivers get paid to sleep?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
its a no brain er, take the pay.
So you're advising the OP to take a salary of 33k to 37k instead of going with cpm and making about 40k to 45k his first year? My own numbers add up to a projected 43k to 44k for my first 12 months on the job.

And the reasoning behind taking 7k to 12k LESS money per year is because firemen and WalMart drivers get paid to sleep?
What i am saying is that I would take some extra pay to be in the sleeper berth.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

look around some more!! There are better deals out there then .30pm (forget the salery) Crete will start a new driver out at aprox. .36 cpm and after a year you go up to .41 and they will keep you moveing. With a salery postion like that I would THINK that you will be run to your max all the time and get a lot of crap (IMO) do some more checking around and don't sign a contract for training!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Does the Military get paid for 24 hour days? NO! Do train conductors? NO! Do travelling salesmen? NO! Does ANY OTHER JOB pay you for your OFF TIME while on the road?? NO!!
People in the military are on duty 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. Even when they're on leave (vacation) they can be recalled.

Original poster...if you're considering the Honors program don't forget you'll also be receiving your GI Bill money every month.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="JC"]
Quote:
Does the Military get paid for 24 hour days? NO! Do train conductors? NO! Do travelling salesmen? NO! Does ANY OTHER JOB pay you for your OFF TIME while on the road?? NO!!

People in the military are on duty 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. Even when they're on leave (vacation) they can be recalled.

They are on salary?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Evinrude"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Quote:

They are on salary?

Unless they changed it. I never punched a clock.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

omg. would i turn down money for sleeping in the truck? no, that would be kinda stupid. do i base my veiws of the trucking industry on the fact that i don't? no. you guys need to grow up and get smart. just because you want to be home all the time does not make otr bad for everyone...it makes it bad for you. you need to remember that some people like to drive truck and make a good living at it. you look to as a job, or till something better comes up. don;t bash the industry because you could not handle it or did not like it. hell, i did not like true otr, i could not support my family on local, so i found something in between. i did what was best for me and my family, that is what everyone needs to understand.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Okay!

I would like to thank every one for their input. I understand there are a lot of variables to consider on wether to go salary or cpm.

I do not expect to be paid for my sleeper time! I do expect to get thoughtful insight from experinced drivers to help me make the most informed decision possible. I can care less about the trivial things in professional truck driving.

I greatly appriciate all the drivers who provided their input on the original post with out having to argue what previous people posted.

For me personnaly I am looking at a regional fleet and will most likely have to start with a van fleet then move to flatbed when the opportunity arises. If I choose to go with Roehl. I need to get home a little more often then can be provided by a national fleet. So I want to get the maximum amount of money and benifits provided in the regional sector.

So thanks again, stay safe and God speed to everyone.