View Poll Results: How often do you open the DOT handbook to look up certain regulations on driving a Commercial Vehicl
Never, it's my company's responsibility to keep me updated 9 28.13%
Weekly 0 0%
Monthly 2 6.25%
Yearly 2 6.25%
As often as I have to and I keep current with all DOT regualations and new regulations 19 59.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
Quote:
One of the breaks has to be 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, so it's not quite a liberal as you describe. I, for one, would much rather take a 6/4 or 5/5 split as I never sleep for eight hours, but I don't make the rules.

I honestly don't think you do. Now I may be wrong here,
Yep, you are.

Quote:
but as long as your 2 breaks add up to 10... then your good!
Nope, you're not.

Quote:
So if you have a 2 and then a 8....10! Or 5 then another 5....10! I mean, if someone knows for sure please copy/paste the actual rule so we can be SURE. Or atleast provide the article # so I can research it myself.
Google is your friend.
Hey guys.... this post interested me and i've been reading for a while. But here goes my first post. I found this at the DOT website. i think it explains what is being discussed here. if i am reading it correctly, doesnt this basically say that at one time you could break up your sleeper berth time, but as of 10/05 you must have at least 8hrs str8?
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...s/hos-2005.htm
Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

In addition to the FMCSR's I often consult my ERG (Emergency Response Guide) and Hazmat rules book....since I pull a lot of hazmat bulk liquid loads.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:
Something else I never knew about the "11 HR RULE" is the ways to "extend" it. Like breaking up your sleeper berth time....
Hmmm, Thats something I have never heard of? Breaking up the sleeper birth allows you to drive more than 11 hours between breaks?
Yeah I typed that wrong, haha! What I meant was I never knew you could break up your off duty time by using the sleeper berth. For instance, like drive for 5hrs, take 4 off, then drive for 6hrs, and take off the last six. With your on duty time accumulated whenever of course. I was always under the impression it had to be a STRAIGHT 10 off???
One of the breaks has to be 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, so it's not quite a liberal as you describe. I, for one, would much rather take a 6/4 or 5/5 split as I never sleep for eight hours, but I don't make the rules.

I honestly don't think you do. Now I may be wrong here, but as long as your 2 breaks add up to 10... then your good! So if you have a 2 and then a 8....10! Or 5 then another 5....10! I mean, if someone knows for sure please copy/paste the actual rule so we can be SURE. Or atleast provide the article # so I can research it myself.
Vito is 100% correct. The rule is that you can split your sleeper berth (10 hr break) into 2 periods. One will either be 2 hours "off duty" or in the sleeper berth. The other MUST BE 8 hours consecutive in the sleeper berth. Anything less, and you are in violation and going to fork over big $$. Additionally, there can be absolutely no "off duty" time included in the 8 hrs. You can show more than 8 on the 8 hr sleeper break, but it must have 8 hrs consecutive in the berth.

The 2 hr break will not stop the 14 hour clock, but the 8 hr sleeper berth break will. This is critical to remember.

However, conventional wisdom shows that it is better to delay and sit for an aggregate of 10 hours total at one time....that way your 11 and 14 hour clock restarts. Do not split log unless its absolutely necessary, and remember...the only way to get out of a split is to take a 10 hr consecutive break. Keep in mind that while taking a 10 hr break, any combination of off duty and sleeper berth is legal....however, if you are smart, you will sleep as much of it as possible....so that you are sufficiently rested and alert.... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 AM

Not enough!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="unkut2003"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Honestly..... I can say that I've never done so. Not saying its the companies fault at all, but the fact that I would only know what I needed to pertaining to whatever position I was in..... like OTR or LOCAL for instance.... A LOT of differences there... :wink:
Not according to the DOT or the FMCSR's

Well there are some pretty MAJOR differences. For example, LOCAL drivers recieve an exception to the 14 hr rule if they regularly return to their normal work reporting location! This allows you to acquire 11 hrs of drive time within 16 hrs of consecutive on duty time once every seven days! LOCAL drivers are not even required to maintain a log providing they do not go over 100 air feet or 12hrs in a single day! Neither of these 2 examples apply to OTR positions. So, there ARE differences... :wink:
[quote]

That wouldn't get my dumpy truck outta the parking lot :?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Board Regular

[quote="Blind Driver"][quote="unkut2003"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:
Honestly..... I can say that I've never done so. Not saying its the companies fault at all, but the fact that I would only know what I needed to pertaining to whatever position I was in..... like OTR or LOCAL for instance.... A LOT of differences there... :wink:
Not according to the DOT or the FMCSR's

Well there are some pretty MAJOR differences. For example, LOCAL drivers recieve an exception to the 14 hr rule if they regularly return to their normal work reporting location! This allows you to acquire 11 hrs of drive time within 16 hrs of consecutive on duty time once every seven days! LOCAL drivers are not even required to maintain a log providing they do not go over 100 air feet or 12hrs in a single day! Neither of these 2 examples apply to OTR positions. So, there ARE differences... :wink:
Quote:

That wouldn't get my dumpy truck outta the parking lot :?

Opps..... that was a typo, haha! I meant 100 air miles....