User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default when you log

Okay when I log I mostly log by miles. My truck run 65 mph so I generally run right around 600 miles a day. That is the legal amount I can run in a day depending on what state I'm in. So when i fuel I try to fuel at the begining of the shift or at the end. Or I have to back my log up after I fuel. Does anyone else long this way or do all of you long hours (log what you drive)? Can this get me in trouble?And I make sure I run in my 14 hours allowed. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks guys.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes, logging by miles can get you in trouble. The only correct way to log is by time.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I dont think I follow what you are asking. You should be logging buy the time when you change duty status, not based on miles driven.

Im really not following what you are asking about your fueling time.
The way I generally fuel, If at a fueling location at the completion of my break(not at the beginning), I will fuel as the first duty status change to line 4, and combine this with my VI.

It sounds like you are speed averaging, which is not the appropriate way to log, the amount of miles you cover in a day is dependant on the upon when you complete the 11th hour (assuming you get an 11 hr driving day).

Just an additional note on fueling. I learned the hard way not to fuel at the completion of your driving day if you are staying at a truckstop. To many eyes have seen you fuel, then go park, others know you just completed fueling, you go inside Truckstop or climb into the bunk, and you get your tanks siphoned. This happened to me 2 times. First they took maybe 50gal. Second, around 110-130gal taken. Didnt even know it till the next morning.
So I may have 1/4-1/2 tank when I stop. But I go straight to the parking spot. Less likely for someone to take fuel.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 AM
Rookie

Never mind on this Some one was trying to explain to me how they log there hours so they don't have to worry about going over hours cause they can check your miles and see if your speeding. I don't get it at all And I alway log as I drive.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyncrazy
Never mind on this Some one was trying to explain to me how they log there hours so they don't have to worry about going over hours cause they can check your miles and see if your speeding. I don't get it at all And I alway log as I drive.
Wacky, I know what your talking about. Eventually your friend will be caught by the DOT or a log audit. Your friend is trying to make the average speed he drives into the hours he drives. We used to do that kind of crap back in the good old days but it doesn't work that way any more. The DOT people are a lot sharper with access to more information and with GPS tracking his company knows how fast he was going and when. Its just a matter of time before he gets nailed. Don't listen to the supertruckers, log it exactly as you drive it.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: when you log

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyncrazy
Okay when I log I mostly log by miles. My truck run 65 mph so I generally run right around 600 miles a day. That is the legal amount I can run in a day depending on what state I'm in. So when i fuel I try to fuel at the begining of the shift or at the end. Or I have to back my log up after I fuel. Does anyone else long this way or do all of you long hours (log what you drive)? Can this get me in trouble?And I make sure I run in my 14 hours allowed. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks guys.
If you log it strictly as you do it, you'll go broke in no time flat. If you cheat and get caught by DOT, you'll get shutdown/fined. If you're involved in a wreck, you'll go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's why I'm not in that end of the biz anymore.

Oh and BTW, the Feds will be coming around soon to hardwire a blackbox into your truck. Let the good times roll!!!!! :lol:
Old 08-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
If you log it strictly as you do it, you'll go broke in no time flat.
I and many others will disagree with this statement. Good dispatching and proper time management and financial management, on the drivers part, and you will make money in trucking, logging legal. I drive for one of "those" companies that everybody dislikes so much, I am dispatched legal, I run legal, and I utilize good time management. I make good money, yes even with this company.
Those that think they must run illegal are giving into poorly planned dispatch, unable to adjust for delays at shippers/receivers, and generally utilize poor time management to get the job done

Quote:
Oh and BTW, the Feds will be coming around soon to hardwire a blackbox into your truck.
Only in the trucks that the drivers/companies that cannot run it legal.
Anybody who cannot run it legal and log it as they do it DO NOT belong in this "end of the biz".