User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When you are a company driver, or a lease driver (O/O leased to a company), you sit as long as the employing company tells you to. That is a fact the recruiters conveniently forget to tell you. That and most times layover pay starts at 24 hours, so they dispatch you at 23 1/2. :lol:
Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Thanks to all- another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty3
My husband finally left the shipper at 2:00 am! Yippee! My husband wanted to haul flatbed orginally. In your opinion, what is better (meaning pay, home time, less waiting etc)? Flat bed or reefer?
Flatbed. Most locations that they deliver and pick up from are M-F operations. Reefer is a 24/7.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Board Regular

Hate to say it, but hubby should have been hounding the DM well before he got there for the shipper number. After finding out the load was cancelled....he should have been on the phone with dispatch every hour on the hour and theres NO WAY that DM would have gone home on friday without getting me something else or understanding that I was leaving the yard and going someplace else.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Rookie
Default Flatbed vs Refer

May I ask where you reside?

Reason Im asking is, my ole man does flatbed for a company out of Vegas and is very happy with it.

Before that he worked for US Foods out of Phoenix, Az and before that CPC Logistics out of Missouri. Both companies were in the resturant/food service industry. Both paid well, CPC better than US Foods, but on both jobs he was home everynight and off 3 days a week and brought home a pretty decent paycheck (US Foods about 750 a week, CPC upwards of $900 or more after taxes).

Now, I do want to say that CPC is Union and the drivers are paid by piece count and mileage. US Foods in Phoenix started at $19.81 an hour, but skims on the overtime in AZ. In Missouri US Foods is hurting for drivers and offering all the overtime you can handle..it just depends on the area your in.

If your hubby has at least two years of experience and your in an area that has either of these companies (US Foods is pretty much all over..do a web search) tell him to give them a try. Or look for Golden State Foods, they are also Union and pay very well, $19-20/hr with overtime possibilities.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Two hours is OK, and after that he should be paid by the hour. Me, on Monday....I'd ask them where they want their truck. His Fleet Manager is a :dung: head, and should be beaten with a shovel...hourly.

And these morons can't figure out why drivers quit?????

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

15 minutes and then I'm outta there. Most customers know this so they try and get us in and out lickety-split. That's why you'll see docks in some places that say "LTL ONLY".

I'm paid hourly for everything - NO FREEBIES. Traffic jam? Truck breaks down? Waiting in line to check-in? Doesn't matter - CHA-CHING...PAID!!!

That's the only way I'll truck. But too many guys wanna hobo around the country for three hots and a cot in this biz. I never could, nor do I still see, the allure of working/waiting/driving for free. Oh well. To each their own, I guess.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
15 minutes and then I'm outta there. Most customers know this so they try and get us in and out lickety-split. That's why you'll see docks in some places that say "LTL ONLY".

I'm paid hourly for everything - NO FREEBIES. Traffic jam? Truck breaks down? Waiting in line to check-in? Doesn't matter - CHA-CHING...PAID!!!

That's the only way I'll truck.

The only difference is that I have to wait until the dock clears. Doing DSD store deliveries, we just have to wait. Paid for every minute . The kicker, if I wait to long at one stop and miss the cut off time at another, it goes back to the warehouse, no questions asked
Paid by the hour, the only way to drive(should make that my sig line )

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-20-2007, 02:23 PM

That's why I drive a flatbed.Most of our loads are preloaded and pretarped.We haul alot of sheetrock.As far as load times,they are during the day none of this 24/7 stuff. The shippers and receivers are alot nicer in the flatbeds than the reefers and dry vans.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrucker
happens all the time...He should be getting a minium of 100.00 a day for layover. which isnt much but it helps. Trans Am will get paid for it, and dont let them tell you different. Demand payment or move on..
I disagree about it happening all the time. 24hrs maybe, but sure as heck not 72.
Got to be the norm at TransAm before my hubby quit. Part of why he quit was how much he was sitting waiting on them. 72 hours was getting to be a weekly thing, and the $50 a day detention pay doesn't kick in for 24 hours.....and then you still have to fight for it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

That's the only way I'll truck. But too many guys wanna hobo around the country for three hots and a cot in this biz. I never could, nor do I still see, the allure of working/waiting/driving for free. Oh well. To each their own, I guess.
HEY!!! I "RESEMBLE" that remark!!! :shock: :evil: :wink:

After ALL the nice things I've said about you recently..... I HOPE that wasn't a "dig!" :lol: :lol:

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.