User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

don't get stopped by DOT. or try when he is not paying attention to go back and shut the blue valve. will only hiss when brakes are applied. but don't get stopped. we are only doing this in foul weather anyway, i think getting a DOT inspection is the least of out concern, right? but to be perfectly honest. just drive when you are comfortable to do so. the thing with most of the companies pulling double is that they are not going to press you to drive when you feel that it is unsafe. they are not like the big carriers, at leat in my expriences with them.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't disable any brakes for any reason. This sounds like when some drivers would cap off or clamp the lines to the front brakes.. where to people come up with these things?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
don't get stopped by DOT. or try when he is not paying attention to go back and shut the blue valve. will only hiss when brakes are applied. but don't get stopped. we are only doing this in foul weather anyway, i think getting a DOT inspection is the least of out concern, right? but to be perfectly honest. just drive when you are comfortable to do so. the thing with most of the companies pulling double is that they are not going to press you to drive when you feel that it is unsafe. they are not like the big carriers, at leat in my expriences with them.
Unless you work for Conway! hehehehe, ask them about last year's big 2 day storm, the one when fedex freight wiped out on national TV.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I wouldn't disable any brakes for any reason. This sounds like when some drivers would cap off or clamp the lines to the front brakes.. where to people come up with these things?
Yeah-Just about everybody did that back in the Day :P
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I never heard of that one. But experimentation is the basis of all science, research and inventing. the idea is to have perfectly balanced brakes, thats why they are adjusted right? So if one trailer gets loaded with 20k lbs and the other is empty combined with a slick roadway there is no way they are still balanced. A twist of a valve and they might not be perfect but should be better? The rear trailer can slide without even knowing it, clipping a sign, a car, whatever is next to you. Am I to assume you've never modified a truck, never changed a factory setting, never added an aftermarket part? The factory cannot build the perfect machine for any and all situations, think about it. I agree it may not be within my right to experiment, which is why I dont like to give advice in the first place, but experimentation is how things get improved. Whether by me or someone else.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Disabling your brakes isn't a very smart thing to do and I agree with that, but sometimes you have to weigh your options on the good and the bad and figure out which is more dangerous. Pulling a set empty or light set of doubles (in my opinion) with the brakes partly disabled is not as dangerous as having the brakes fulling operable on slick roads. When your pulling the doubles on slick roads you rarely use your brakes anyways. If your in a day cab pulling over isn't always an option and sometimes you have to get to your destination or if you do pull over you need a tow truck to get moving again.

I have experienced this several times in heavy snow. You can't stop because you will get stuck and you can't go fast because you can't use the brakes. If it's icy though you have no option but to pull over and deal with the getting stuck or you will end up just like that Fedex driver Snowman was talking about.

It something an LTL driver have to deal with, some drivers handle it better than others but it's part of the job.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Board Icon

All you have to remember is one thing. IF you're ever involved in an accident with injuries or fatalities the DOT will be at the site quicker than you can blink and if they find ANYTHING that is mechanically wrong with your truck you can almost be guaranteed a trip to the Big House.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Senior Board Member

The BIG HOUSE? You dont mean the University of Michigan do you? Cause that would be a fate worse than death! I hate MEATCHICKEN!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Board Icon

I hate the U of M as much as you do-Go State :P
Scuse the hijack but watch Dirty Jobs tomorrow night Snowman-the ENTIRE show is going to be about the Big Mac(Mackinac Bridge).
First time I think they've ever did an entire show on one subject but then again We're Special up here :P
Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I hate the U of M as much as you do-Go State :P
Scuse the hijack but watch Dirty Jobs tomorrow night Snowman-the ENTIRE show is going to be about the Big Mac(Mackinac Bridge).
First time I think they've ever did an entire show on one subject but then again We're Special up here :P
Cool I'll try, I go to work around 8-9. Think they'll mention the Yugo that was blown over the side and no one even knew it till she came up missing? or is that an urban myth?