User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default serious problem......need vets advice

Hi all…I have kind of a serious question for all you veterans out there.

I have a job with an LTL company, all drop and hook, all terminal to terminal.

The only problem is, I used to run team, we had a set schedule and knew where we were going each week, and my partner got fired for not reporting an accident.

Here’s the problem…..now I am running solo, and when I get dispatched to a new terminal I get terribly nervous. It’s almost like an anxiety attack, but not that severe. I get all hot, sweaty, heart pounding, totallllyyy scared of getting lost, ect but (thank God) I am still able to safely drive my truck.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?? Is there any remedy or trick that you use to calm yourself down??

I visited my doctor, but he gave me some kind of like super benaydral, which I don’t want to use because I don’t want to fall asleep at the wheel! Is there anyone out there driving that takes some kind of medication? If so what kind?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: serious problem......need vets advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2road

The only problem is, I used to run team, we had a set schedule and knew where we were going each week, and my partner got fired for not reporting an accident.

Here’s the problem…..now I am running solo, and when I get dispatched to a new terminal I get terribly nervous. It’s almost like an anxiety attack, but not that severe. I get all hot, sweaty, heart pounding, totallllyyy scared of getting lost, ect but (thank God) I am still able to safely drive my truck.

Have any of you experienced anything like this?? Is there any remedy or trick that you use to calm yourself down??

I visited my doctor, but he gave me some kind of like super benaydral, which I don’t want to use because I don’t want to fall asleep at the wheel! Is there anyone out there driving that takes some kind of medication? If so what kind?

Thanks

Fear is normal when you have make that first load solo....
But taking benedryl to calm your nerves is not. Essentially its a sedative.
Try doing the run solo without the drug, you'll find that all your worry was really nothing to worry about.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Contact the consignee and get detailed directions to the location you're going. Just take your time and you'll be okay.

If you also have a laptop use a mapping program to help you get a visual of where you're going. I use MicroSoft Trips & Streets to get an idea of how things are laid out.

Hi mom
Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Your anxiety is an asset, not a liability. Overconfidence and complacancy are your enemies, not apprehension!!

Going to new places?? New potential hazards?? Okay, but stay alert, watch what you are doing, and over time, you'll build your confidence level.

Intimidating?? To a certain extent perhaps, but the way to deal with the anxiety and apprehension is to plan properly, call the customer to verify directions if need be, and as we pilots say, "Plan the flight, then fly the plan!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Your anxiety is an asset, not a liability. Over confidence and complacancy is your enemy, not apprehension!!

Going to new places?? New potential hazards?? Okay, but stay alert, watch what you are doing, and over time, you'll build your confidence level.

Intimidating?? To a certain extent perhaps, but the way to deal with the anxiety and apprehension is to plan properly, call the customer to verify directions if need be, and as we pilots say, "Plan the flight, then fly the plan!!

I have found that in almost all cases, your destination is 2 blocks down on the right
Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 AM

w o o o w

I never looked at it like that!

T H A N K S !!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Default Re: serious problem......need vets advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2road

Thanks
I'm a newbie otr guy and have had the same thing happen to me. I don't get all hot and sweaty but everything else. I always figured I wasn't the only one, but it's nice to see someone write about it so I can relate.

Now I just try to calm myself down and I always call ahead of times and get detailed directions to where I'm going.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 AM
Board Regular

Diet can make a big difference on anxiety. Go easy on the caffeine and sugar - drink water instead of soda - stay hydrated - take a multivitamin every day - etc.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Your anxiety is an asset, not a liability. Over confidence and complacancy is your enemy, not apprehension!!

Fredog:
I have found that in almost all cases, your destination is 2 blocks down on the right.
Useless:

True, but being dyslexic, and having battled ADHD all of my life, my mind is wired very differently.

Call for directions, and the tell you "Go down to the
3rd red light, then turn right.......so i get there, and the dammed light has turned GREEN!!

That's just F'nGreat!! So what the Hell am I supposed to do now!!!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Board Regular

I know everytime i get someplace new I am alway a little nervous about how to get in and out. You never know what you encounter. Just take it easy.

It also for me I get a little nervous the first time each winter that I encounter winter conditions. After you do the first run on bad winter roads then I am ready for the season. Just dont get over confident and you will be okay.