View Poll Results: Are they Ripping Me Off???
Yes, Find some other way!! 0 0%
No, Just Learn To drive a truck, Dummy... 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I Have a problem... Getting CDL Class A...

I currently Have a problem... I recently left Roadmaster Drivers School because they didn't believe in teaching me anything... We (My Class) Spent more time standing around in the parking lot, than actually driving trucks or learning anything about them...their truck were always broken down, or falling apart, and the instructors would rather cuss you out or yell at you than teach you anything... so, I left... it's stupid to pay $6000 for that... but I did end up driving about 2 hours total + backing manovers,so, I went into a company out of Green Cove Springs,FL ... They Are called "National Training ,Inc." seems like a good school and all... kinda like roadmaster except a lot nicer, and better trucks.... I know for a fact that I can drive a truck, and I know how to do a good PTI... I paid $200 to take my Class A CDL test, but can't seem to pass it... I keep failing on the PTI and cant get around to driving... I have taken it twice... and every retake is $50... now, I just don't understand if the guy is doing this to me on purpose to get me to come to their school or what.... I passed my PTI last time, (FULL FORM!!!) and we got in the truck and did the air brake check, and he said I "AUTOMATICALLY FAILED"... I asked why... he said because Roadmaster taught me wrong and I didn't do the air brake check in order of the CDL Manual... I did the Leak Check, Parking Brake Check, Service Brake Check. And also did a trailer "TUG" check... But he still failed me... and I did them correctly according to the book.... is there anyway I can get my CDL without going through these guys... I mean I already paid $200... and that seems to be wasted if he keeps failing me... I think they are just trying to get more money...

Thanks for any help!!

Steven...
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member

I won't say all states since I do not know, but in many states at least, the PTI is what gets most drivers when testing out.

When I went through school here in Illinois, we were told by our instructors and heard it again from the state examiner after we were done with testing, the one thing that gets the most students is something so stupid that if you missed it your pulled a Homer Simpson and hit your head and go "Doah".

Believe it or not the thing was forgetting to test the air and city horns. :roll: :lol:

As far as testing out somewhere else it may be possible if your state has its own testing facilities with their own trucks or you can find a truck to test with.

The only downside to this is that even if you get your CDL you will find it difficult to find a job without a certificate of completion/diploma from a school.

Other than finding another school to go to the only other thing I can think of is going through a company sponsored training program in which a company pays for your school up front and you agree to work for them for a year or so to repay them the cost of the tuition.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

What I see being part of the problem is that you are trying to bypass the system.

You "know" how to drive a truck, but can't pass the required tests. There's a message in there.

Frankly, I went to National Training back in the 90's...and they were straight up. I have never heard a complaint about them. They go by the book, period. The State of FL sends in "ringers" occasionally to cross check their 3rd Party Testers. SO if what you are looking for is "slack"....you're not going to find it there, nor will you find it with any reputable school that is following state issued guidelines.

Consider this.....if you cannot show a School Diploma/Completion certificate with an outline of what you actually did in school....how do you expect to get hired by anyone?

Maybe you have a job lined up....will that employer accept only the possession of a CDL as proof of ability? How many others will?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Rookie

I already have a VERY reputable company/position waiting on me... I just need my license... I'm not trying to "ByPass" the system... I'm just wondering if he is maybe just Milking me for money... My father in law is a truck driver, has been for 28 years, and he said everything they are asking for is stupid... Real truckers don't have to worry about most of the stuff they are trying to test for...

anyone else feel this way???

Thanks!!!
Steven...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Steven, no disrespect to your father...but he is wrong on one hand. Yet he is right on the other. While he is correct in what he says...essentially, the other side of the coin is this: The Fed has set minimum standards for training and testing. Those standards must be met. Any tester/inspector who fails to meet the required standards is looking for trouble.

I know for a fact that the State of Florida will send "ringers" to be tested. They are slick. If they can get slack or bribe the tester/inspector....there is hell to pay. The tester is done in the industry, the school or organization he or she works for is in deep :dung: and may even face criminal charges.

This is why it is the way it is.

Personally.... I thought the sequential process of the D&H as well as other items on the tests were complete :dung: But its like alot of the nonsense you have to learn in school......you learn it to pass the test, then move on.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByYou
I already have a VERY reputable company/position waiting on me... I just need my license... I'm not trying to "ByPass" the system... I'm just wondering if he is maybe just Milking me for money... My father in law is a truck driver, has been for 28 years, and he said everything they are asking for is stupid... Real truckers don't have to worry about most of the stuff they are trying to test for...

anyone else feel this way???

Thanks!!!
Steven...
"Real truckers" do all the things the tester is asking for. I suggest you go through the school before you roll down the highway in a 80,000 pound weapon.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Driver Training

Contact FCCJ and find out when in the Fall, their driver training course starts at "Cecil Field". The cost will probably be less than either National or Roadmaster and longer and better. I do know they'll be using simulators for part of the training.
I do know at Jax Roadmaster, the 3 up, 3 down, and 2 to go brake check mnemonic would get you thru their PTI observation. BOL

PS Curious who/what the VERY reputable company/position is.