User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker4Life
What most people are trying to say is "driving" a truck and being a truck driver are two different things. Like I was told when I started looking (same boat as you), the days of "jumping in Uncle Bob's cornbinder and learning on the farm roads" are over. There are a lot of people who can drive the truck extremely well, but you have to understand the rules, both for the insurance companies and yourself (to be able to make any money).
<snip>
Thanks Ken...

I see what you're saying... thanks for the response. I do have another question. If I bought my own truck, what do I need to get started (insurance, etc)

-James
Old 07-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It depends on whether you are talking about buying a truck to lease to a carrier, or get your own authority, as to what you need in insurance.

If you lease to a carrier, all you need is either bobtail or unladen liability insurance and collision if you have a lien on the equipment.

If you run your own authority, you will need minimum amounts of liability and cargo insurance. Most brokers and shippers will require $1MM liability and $100M cargo.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It depends on whether you are talking about buying a truck to lease to a carrier, or get your own authority, as to what you need in insurance.

If you lease to a carrier, all you need is either bobtail or unladen liability insurance and collision if you have a lien on the equipment.

If you run your own authority, you will need minimum amounts of liability and cargo insurance. Most brokers and shippers will require $1MM liability and $100M cargo.
That sounds expensive. How much does that much insurance run.

Wow, driving on the outside is a lot different... I'm used to just jumping in the truck and hit the road... my plan is to run my own authority. I will purchase a used truck/trailer (atleast that's the plan so far).

I know I have much to learn. I have time, I'm still active duty right now... I'm just planning ahead. It's never too early to plan...

-James
Old 07-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

James, cargo and liability insurance rates vary according to several factors. Things they take into consideration is the length of time you have held a CDL, MVR and credit history. Collision rates are based upon the stated value of your equipment. Those range from about 2 1/2-4%. Cargo and liability rates seem to run between $6-12M for most starting out. I believe someone posted rates as high as $36M, but he lives in Long Island. I would count on rates around $10-12M. Where your truck is garaged and where you run also plays a factor in your rates. I pay less that $4M, but I have many years experience and have a good MVR. You may want to check with a few insurance companies and get rates specifically for you. This is something that is individually specific. Do you know where you will reside when you get back to the U.S.?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I know there's a number of companies who actively pursue Vets for hiring.
Wish I had a list of them for you.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
James, cargo and liability insurance rates vary according to several factors. Things they take into consideration is the length of time you have held a CDL, MVR and credit history. Collision rates are based upon the stated value of your equipment. Those range from about 2 1/2-4%. Cargo and liability rates seem to run between $6-12M for most starting out. I believe someone posted rates as high as $36M, but he lives in Long Island. I would count on rates around $10-12M. Where your truck is garaged and where you run also plays a factor in your rates. I pay less that $4M, but I have many years experience and have a good MVR. You may want to check with a few insurance companies and get rates specifically for you. This is something that is individually specific. Do you know where you will reside when you get back to the U.S.?
Probably North Florida (Crestview or Tallahassee area).
Old 09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Hey Yoopr...please pm me as i have some questions regarding Iraq. I cannot pm you. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom Flash
I'm retired military (AF & CG) .
so was the military experience before or after being in the coast guard and chair force?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 PM

Who let the squid in here? :roll:
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Military Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_James
Greetings all...

I'm currently a truck driver in the Military. Have been driving truck for 12 years. I have over the road expierence in many countries, flatbed, box, munitions/haz-mat & some tanker experience.

I'm looking to possibly seperate in 6 months to 1 year due to medical reasons. My plan is to use my knowledge of Military Transportation to become a contractor and transport military cargo. Upon seperation, I will purchase a used tractor/trailor to get me started. I was talking with someone who was thinking of doing the same thing, and he mentioned to start off with driving for a Company (OTR), then go off on your own.

I don't mind spending some time away from my family, but I have spent plenty of time away from my family in far away lands behind the wheel of trucks. Would like to try to spend as much time with family as possible. I'm sure spending time with family every week or so is better than missing them for 9 months to 1 year.

Any advice from prior service drivers or anyone would be well appreciated. I'm working on a resume, hope to have it completed soon.

Thanks,
-Strick
You could always apply for a local driving job, like for a beverage distributor, as long as you don't mind unloading freight yourself. The hours will sometimes suck but you will be home every night.