User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default casual short haul, dedicated, or regional?

I'm a newbie to the forum and have a million question, but will only ask a few. I'm looking to getting into possibly driving part time. The catch here is I have an erratic schedule as a firefighter. The schedule is 10 twentyfour hour shifts a month and goes like this: on, off, on, off, on, 4 days off and then the cycle repeats (good gig I know). So my question: Is it possible to get a casual driving job where I'm out on the road for a couple of days during my 4 days off from firefighting? Does short haul, regional, or dedicated fall into this category. I'd be pretty flexible as far as being able to drive weekends. I live in the Sacramento area and was hoping to get something here or over in the SF Bay Area. My DMV record is clean as a whistle. Any input from the folks out there or even the recruiters would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Senior Board Member

With a schedule like that I really do not know who would hire you, especially being an inexperienced driver.

With the Hours of Service regs being what they are you would only be available to drive 2 1/2 days out of every 9, at least according to the federal regs. I know that CA has a different HOS for drivers who stay intrastate, but I do not know the specifics of it.

If there is any real hope for you to do this, your best shot would probably be with the LTL type companies like Yellow, Fed EX, Old Dominion, etc, or maybe with some type of courier service.

Often times these types of jobs are not advertised anywhere and your best bet on finding them is to the office/terminal of these companies and talk to them directly. You can look in the yellow pages to find where most of the companies are located in the local area.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: casual short haul, dedicated, or regional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj042598
I'm a newbie to the forum and have a million question, but will only ask a few. I'm looking to getting into possibly driving part time. The catch here is I have an erratic schedule as a firefighter. The schedule is 10 twentyfour hour shifts a month and goes like this: on, off, on, off, on, 4 days off and then the cycle repeats (good gig I know). So my question: Is it possible to get a casual driving job where I'm out on the road for a couple of days during my 4 days off from firefighting? Does short haul, regional, or dedicated fall into this category. I'd be pretty flexible as far as being able to drive weekends. I live in the Sacramento area and was hoping to get something here or over in the SF Bay Area. My DMV record is clean as a whistle. Any input from the folks out there or even the recruiters would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
There is plenty of day cab work in NorCal.

This time of year you could likely find a PT gig hauling tomatoes, onions or other AG products. Panella runs flatbed doubles in your area.

If you don't mind doing dock work you could also hire on as a casual dock/driver at any LTL barn.

I know Gordon runs a lot on the I5 between SoCal and Washington. A trip up and back is doable in 3-4 days.

With your schedule you would have to watch your 70 in 8 days for hrs of service.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
A trip up and back is doable in 3-4 days.
The thing is that he does not have 3 or 4 days.

Since he is working 72 hours in just 5 days (3 24 hour shifts=72) he is going to pretty much need to have 34 hours off before he is going to have anything to run on.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
A trip up and back is doable in 3-4 days.
The thing is that he does not have 3 or 4 days.

Since he is working 72 hours in just 5 days (3 24 hour shifts=72) he is going to pretty much need to have 34 hours off before he is going to have anything to run on.
I'm not sure you would have to log all your time in the firehouse as line 4.

I mean yes your getting paid while you are sleeping and have to be ready to roll, but sitting in bed is more off duty?

Its a screwball special case not speficically covered by the HOS regs.

Is a driver waiting for a load in the sleeper on duty? I don't see how waiting for a call at the firehouse is different.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Is a driver waiting for a load in the sleeper on duty? I don't see how waiting for a call at the firehouse is different.
Plus, pffffft, if the work didn't take place on Company X's dime, it ain't going in Company X's logbook.

I guess if you want to get seriously anal about it, even I have violated this one. The odd bits of time I spent writing my book were ultimately paid, sort of, so if I were a Good One Hundred Percent A1A Ultra Legal Super Trucking Hero, I would have logged all those bits and bobs on line 4 in my logbook. Those weekend craft show doodads with my wife too, and probably a bunch of other things. Spend an hour selling your wife's car, log it on line 4.