User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Backing Problems

Hi All. Ok, I have a big problem. I'm going back on the road in a few weeks after being off almost a year. I can drive and jam gears with the best of them, but I can't back. I never have been able to do it. I got by the state tests by the skin of my teeth. I barely passed the backing course at Transport America's orientation, and any of you who have been there know how much of a bitch that thing is. The only reason I passed it, the instructor has his hands in his coat pockets and moved that hand for the direction I needed to go. I've driven team at TA and Werner with my other half. He usually backs the truck in for me if we are at a truckstop or a shipper/consonee (i know i spelled that wrong) that is too busy for me to take my time and do it. When I have time I practice. But I just don't understand why I can't get the concept of backing. People say to me that it will come to me in time. I'm starting to lose hope. I don't want to depend on my other half doing all my backing. I'm proud to be a truck driver but I am ashamed that I can't back. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member

To back straight:
Put your hand on top of the wheel. Look in the mirrors and move your hand toward mirror that shows most of the trailer.

To turn:
Put your hands on the bottom of the wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to move.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

for me when backing, i "drive the trailer" when i back up and not the tractor

that works for me but Different Strokes for different folks
Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Board Regular

I drove team with my husband until his death. I never backed. I got more and more intimidated by the idea of having to do this.

I do alright now, learning every day.

I couldn't do it with him sitting next to me. That was my huge hang up. Maybe there is an issue with you too. Make him go in the sleeper.

I sometimes would back up, but only if he was out of sight.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

You might try http://www.newbiedriver.com/articles/Backing.htm. I think that's the right address. Anyway it is a good article that takes you step-by-step through the backing process. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM

My thinking is your just gonna have to practice, practice, and then practice some more. Some people are good at doing some things and some are not. All of the above advice is good. For me and most others it the set up, thats whats gonna make it or break it on backing for some people, think about what you want to do and how you want to do it, then do it slow and easy, slow means you will have time to correct a mistake before it becomes more of one. Dont worry about the billy big rigs on the radio (turn it off) and their comments.
Their only mission in life while waiting for you to back up is to sit and wait it out. Did I say practice?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM

Try this: http://www.newbiedriver.com/articles...ng/Backing.htm
Old 07-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing that I have found that works well for me, and I taught others to do this:

When you first enter the area where you are going to have to back in the trailer....go very slow and scan the entire area. Get a good sense of the surroundings...especially where you are going back in. Then when you are assigned a door or a spot, be sure that you run down the front of the trailers/trucks as close as is safe, but not too close, then when you pass the spot...right about the time that your right shoulder is just past the spot, turn your wheels sharply to the right and run to the right until you are angeled well then turn your wheels hard to the left and just go a about ten or 12 feet, then STOP. Before you begin to move in reverse, do TWO things: 1, roll your window down and look back at where you WANT that trailer to end up. Don't just look at it. SEE it. You want to "VISUALIZE" in your mind the path that the trailer is going to track right into the spot where you want it. 2. Again, before you start moving in reverse, turn your wheel back to the right a turn or two then start moving backwards. Look out the window and see where the tandems are tracking. Adjust as necessary. Use ONE hand on the steering wheel....its hard to look back with both hands on the wheel. You will have to turn the steering wheel back to the left to make the corrections, but the trailer should track better and your corrections smaller.

If you get nervous....just stop and take a breath....or several as needed. Always do your "setups" at IDLE speed, and always do your backing at IDLE speed. You should never touch the accelerator when backing. Try on your own when you have some spare time to back into spots between trailers that are farther apart than one slot. Or take and put some full soda cans on the ground 15 feet apart....use 6 of them, and make a slot them back in between them. If you run over one, the only penalty is that you have to buy another soda. Keep in mind....you will be in the real world so if you have to do 5 or 6 pull-ups, so what...? We all have to do it occasionally....even drivers with many years of experience. You just gotta do what you gotta do.

But I think that if you work on "visualizing" what you want to accomplish, you will find it getting easier and easier. I still use the technique, because it works, and some of the loading racks that us tanker guys have to back into are a little trickier than backing to a dock..... Just take your time and practice whenever you have some time to do it. You'll make it happen.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

I had a real hard time backing the other day. I usually get it on the first shot but this time I could not back it up to save my life. Just one of those days!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Uh Skywalker I just gotta ask, can he just use his left shoulder instead? It would make it so much eaiser..........