User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default me too !!!

I have improved dramatically on the backing we do at the terminal when returning from a trip. But every WalMart we go to is a totally different setup/situation. Been with a trainer for 3 weeks now. I was pulling into some WalMart docks thinking to my self this one looks easy 8) , and of course they would be tough. And of course some I would say, what the heck nobody could get it in there :shock: and do those quite well. So these last few days I pull up with the "this is going to be tough mindset" and have improved. My trainer likes to call the WalMart as soon as he sees a Walmart from the highway. Which has resulted in the door rolling up and half of the dock crew as an audience. As for the soda can thing, I finally said man thier are so many lines and he quickly jumped out and threw some gloves on the appropriate lines and I nailed it first time. Other than backing, training has been great.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 AM

hows this for a backing story. for the last maybe 2 weeks every back i did was flawless ....AT DRIVING SCHOOL. and i set up differently several times to actually practice backing rather than just doing say a single route over and over.but when i went for my road test this past saturday guess what...... TEN pullups and i did not get the trailer in. granted my dmv only has 2 cones about 8 ft from the "wall" in the middle of a large lot. i should still have at least got it in, but since i failed i gotta wait 2 weeks to try again. all the practice in the world did not prepare me for alley docking into the middle of a large lot with only 8 ft of outline. but i will work on it some more and practice in the middle of a lot to get into parking spot also. you live, you learn, you live some more.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Backing a truck in the "real" world will greatly vary from what is learned in training. Training gives you some basics and concepts to establish a foundation for the backing situation you may encounter when out on the road.

A couple of basic concepts that have helped me over the years:

You have 2 units you must steer when backing. The tractor, and the semi-trailer.

A semi-trailer does not have its own front axle, the drives of the tractor must "substitute" as the front axle for the trailor. The drives of the tractor then become the "steer" axle for the trailor. (whether moving forward or backward).
Keep a good visual on the amount of "cut" or angle your drives are giving, as they "steer" the trailor during the back. Keep the cut to a minimum, as much as possible.
As the trailor is backed you must also be aware of the tractors angle to the trailor (same as the drives to the trailer as mentioned above) and any obstacles you must steer the tractor around.
Keep the angles/cut (or Jack) to a minimum between the tractor and trailer.
What may look really good during a back from the perspective of the trailor, may look really bad if the tractor has to travel a full 90 degrees to get back in line with the trailor (also known as getting back under your trailor), and getting the tractor back "under" the trailer may take alot of real estate and move the trailor totally away from the hole you were trying back into.

Doing "pullups" to help get the tractor and trailer back in line is perfectly legitimate and should be used as needed. Keep in mind that when a pullup is used the tractor will be needed to be steered opposite from what it was being steered during the backing technique.

It does take some practice, and the ablility to adapt to each backing situation as they are encountered.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligator
To back straight:
Put your hand on top of the wheel. Look in the mirrors and move your hand toward mirror that shows most of the trailer.

To turn:
Put your hands on the bottom of the wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to move.
Just_Froggy

This is they way I would go for right now, I too had very poor backing..

If you look in the mirror, and you notice more of your trailer in one than the other, then you are not straight. Just turn the wheel in the direction of the mirror.. Try it.

When you back -- ALWAYS check your surroundings and get the mental picture.. Also if you have to get out a hundred time's DO IT.. I have at one time got out and look probly 15 times.. I was tired and it was a pretty big spot.. As you go along you will notice, the smaller the spot, the easier.. Because you have something to go by, and the larger spots, I would carry a rock or something to put on the ground to guid you..

I am not going to lie and say it is easy, but what I will tell you is you do get better, the more you do it.. And after 20 years you still will have problems, Exspecialy when your tired.

Another suggestion is Turn off the CB-- the cat calls and CB rambo's, and supper truckers who think they know it all, will just frustrat you more..

The time I had got out at least 15 times,I had left my CB on and heard it all.. But there was one guy who stood up for me.. He said { You guys think he looks like a newbe or and Idiot,, well it is better than Hitting someone and being one}.

Practice at the yard, after you think you got it, get a little presure on ya, and do it again..

I wish the best for ya.

Slimland
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Board Regular
Default Dont stress

I cant hit a wide open dock to save my life. Im talking a building with 12 open docks and 40 football fields of room to maneuver in.

Give me an impossible, dangerous dock that scares the hell out of daycabs and ill nail it every time.

Dont stress over it. You're not paid to one shot docks instantly and never pull up. You're paid for two things.

Get the freight there on time and dont hit anything. Notice that "no pullups" isnt in there. That "impressing other drivers" isnt in there. That "getting in quick" isnt in there. When i see a driver having trouble i either help him or i pull the yellow knob and browse the net til he's done. When im having trouble.. i dont worry about it. I actually >intentionally< pull up multiple times when i have trainees in the truck. I GOAL on probably 50% of docks or more. I dont take chances. Sc**w joe newbie who just got a truck and wants to talk smack on the radio. Or joe "golly i have to hit the dock NOW or ill die!". They dont sign my paycheck. And guess what.. that 20 year 3 million driver will be the one on the radio saying "dont worry about it hand take your time im not in a hurry". Even though he may be. Cause he's been there.

Screw what people think. Stop trying to be super trucker. Relax and just get it in. And you'll start to pick it up. And mostly remember.. all of us have those days where we couldnt hit a dock to save our lives.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Dont stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid
I cant hit a wide open dock to save my life. Im talking a building with 12 open docks and 40 football fields of room to maneuver in.

Give me an impossible, dangerous dock that scares the hell out of daycabs and ill nail it every time.

Dont stress over it. You're not paid to one shot docks instantly and never pull up. You're paid for two things.

Get the freight there on time and dont hit anything. Notice that "no pullups" isnt in there. That "impressing other drivers" isnt in there. That "getting in quick" isnt in there. When i see a driver having trouble i either help him or i pull the yellow knob and browse the net til he's done. When im having trouble.. i dont worry about it. I actually >intentionally< pull up multiple times when i have trainees in the truck. I GOAL on probably 50% of docks or more. I dont take chances. Sc**w joe newbie who just got a truck and wants to talk smack on the radio. Or joe "golly i have to hit the dock NOW or ill die!". They dont sign my paycheck. And guess what.. that 20 year 3 million driver will be the one on the radio saying "dont worry about it hand take your time im not in a hurry". Even though he may be. Cause he's been there.

Screw what people think. Stop trying to be super trucker. Relax and just get it in. And you'll start to pick it up. And mostly remember.. all of us have those days where we couldnt hit a dock to save our lives.
Great post.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:33 PM

These have all been great posts! Taking your time is definately the most important part of the process. I work as a fueler and the challenge is getting the fuel truck under the wing of the aircraft without hitting the plane, rampers, bag carts etc... It is really easy to get in a rush because of the deprarture times, but it is crucial to go slow and be safe. Getting out after fueling is another challenge too, but I did take a dry erase marker and put GOAL on the mirrors of the truck! We do have the luxory on the 10,000 gallon trucks to have a camera with sonar installed on them! It works great until it rains!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 PM

I had a real difficult time backing too. Then someone came with me and saw what was happening. I was trying to use both mirrors. Use one side only. Line up with mirrors on both sides if you can. But do the backing using one mirror only. If you feel the need to check the other side stop. Look quick then go back to the mirror you were using. If you have lined up properly to begin with you only need to watch one side to maintain the line. The person who taught me this took me to an empty lot and had me do circles in reverse with one eye covered until i got it. Then had me switch eyes till i got that. When I had it he had me open both eyes but took away one mirror at a time until i got that. Then had me do it with both eyes open and both mirrors available, what a difference i have not had trouble backing since then. Just make sure you use a large empty lot to train yourself like this because the first few times one-eyed will find you all over the place.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaekat
the first few times one-eyed will find you all over the place.
Now that you mention it, I realize I do the final lining up straight using just one eye.

I can't quite agree 100% about using just one mirror though. In general, yes, but you can't get so intent on your trailer that you forget about that light pole/fire hydrant/ditch/fence/car/Peterbilt you're about to clip with the passenger side of your hood.

This stuff is complicated. That's why we make 900K a year.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:59 AM
Board Regular

practice, practice, practice. Whenever you can!! Instead of taking that drive-thru spot at the T/S, back in. Turn the radio off and don't worry about anybody but yourself and your rig. It will come in time. Somedays I can't hit my marks in a wide open dock and other days I can't believe that I actually got my trailer into some spaces i've seen. Just remember to take your time and practice as much as you can, and if your not backing that tractor and trailer...theres no way you'll be able to learn!

BOL!!

http://yankedriver.blogspot.com/
http://yankedriver2.blogspot.com/