User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Suspended License

My license was suspended for not paying a traffic ticket. I was cited for running a red light when I was high school and Im just now getting my license reinstated. Most companies wont hire me because i havent had my license for a year. But I found one(CFI). In your opinion, am I insurable? I have no felonies, DUI's or any thing like that, but I have been caught driving under suspension a couple of times. Another thing, whats up with CFI.? Are they a good company or what? They only pay you on the 4th and the 19th of every month. A driver tells me that they can screw you over on your pay like that. What do you think?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Whether you can be insured is up to CFI's insurance carrier, although after reading how great CFI is, I'm wondering now if they are that desperate for drivers?

As far as pay, most people get paid every two weeks, so I'm not sure how you are going to get "screwed" unless they dont pay you at all.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Suspended License

You don't state what your age is, but if you're under twenty-one, you're not eligible for interstate OTR. You may want to wait until all your violations have fallen off your driving record due to the passage of time. BOL
Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM

CFI is suppose to be a good company, you might want to ask Skywalker here on the forums he drove for them for awhile, and always talks good about the company.

As far as them hiring you with your driving history is up to them as long as you are honest to the recruiter or whatever and they say it is ok. Then everything should be ok. Don't keep anything from the recruiter! Because they will find out if you lie to them.

I know they do hire some people that others won't but they still seem like one of the better companys for OTR. I knew a guy who had a heart attack and drove for swift at that time. After that he took time off because of surgerys. And swift would not let him come back because of his health history. But CFI hired him and he is loving them.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Suspended License

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill
. Another thing, whats up with CFI.? Are they a good company or what? They only pay you on the 4th and the 19th of every month.
They just pay differently. Personally.... I preferred getting paid the way CFI does it. Tends to smooth out the bumps in pay. Other than the Army, every job I ever had outside of construction....many years ago paid me every two weeks.

Here's how it works: The pay periods are 1st to 15th, 16th to last day of month. You get paid 4 days after end of pay period. There is no one week delay in getting paid. ALSO, what is important to keep in mind is that YOU ARE PAID FOR EACH AND EVERY MILE YOU ARE DISPATCHED WITHIN THE PAY PERIOD. If you are dispatched 7000 miles between 0001 on the 1st and 2359 on the 15th.... you will be paid for 7000 miles. Even if the last dispatched load is not delivered until the 17th. It is the same for all pay periods. I used direct deposit....and my money was ALWAYS in my account by the end of the 4th day.

Quote:
A driver tells me that they can screw you over on your pay like that. What do you think?
And that driver who told you that "needs to extract his cranium from rectal defilade". Simply put....he has his head up his ass.

I drove for CFI for SEVEN years, and this is important: Not once was there ever a mistake in my pay!! In fact...because of the method they pay by....I knew ahead of time how much my paycheck was going to be!! I never had to wonder if some doofus back in payroll opened and processed a trip pak. The reason you can figure your gross paycheck in advance is because CFI always goves you the "paid practical miles" for EVERY dispatch. There is no guessing about it. Also, if you are paid for anything else like detention or if you assisted in an unload....it will be paid then as well. They reimburse ALL tolls, to include the FL Turnpike, they have OK Pikepass, IPass/EZPass, and PrePass in every truck. All reimbursables are paid quickly, and I never had a problem there either.

As far as the honesty in the pay system, or for that matter...CFI in general....they are as honest as the century is long. Anyone who tells you they were cheated or lied to.....is full of :dung: and has a drawer full of t-shirts with this on the front: :withstupid:

If you want further information that is factual, blunt and honest where CFI is concerned....you can search this forum using my handle and CFI and you will get alot of information.

You can also go over to http://www.cfidrivers.com and log on and ask questions to drivers who are at CFI. It is a privately owned site, not company owned or sponsored. I am, though I don't drive for CFI anymore, one of the main moderators on the site. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Rookie
Default Thank you!

I would like to thank you all for your very valuble information. I have decided to take CFI's job offer and I feel that it will be a great one. I'm 30 years old, new to the trucking industry, and I feel that this will be a nice experience for my family and I. Once again, THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Thank you!

Quote:
I would like to thank you all for your very valuble information. I have decided to take CFI's job offer and I feel that it will be a great one. I'm 30 years old, new to the trucking industry, and I feel that this will be a nice experience for my family and I. Once again, THANK YOU!!!!!
My pleasure to be of service!! Please do take the time to register at http://www.cfidrivers.com and feel free to ask questions and get to know the people on the site. Sooner or later you will run across some of them. You will be able to spot them on the road..... Most CFI drivers have their "handles" on their tractor doors.....and I think alot of them use the handle they use on the site. You may also run into them in Joplin or in one of the other terminals and yards.

The site is invaluable as you can go there and ask a question, and you will get a straight answer.....from drivers at CFI, who know the answers to your questions.

Best of Luck to you in your new career!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Suspended License

Quote:
My license was suspended for not paying a traffic ticket. I was cited for running a red light when I was high school and Im just now getting my license reinstated. Most companies wont hire me because i havent had my license for a year. But I found one(CFI). In your opinion, am I insurable? I have no felonies, DUI's or any thing like that, but I have been caught driving under suspension a couple of times. Another thing, whats up with CFI.? Are they a good company or what? They only pay you on the 4th and the 19th of every month. A driver tells me that they can screw you over on your pay like that. What do you think?

If you are 30 years old then at what age were you in high school? Why did it take so long to renew your license? :shock:
Old 07-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Between my financial responsiblites(children) among other things. It just cost me more money than I was making, and child support was taking. On top of that I started dating this drugged up :evil: @#%*& of a woman. She made me depressed for 5 years. But I'm a whole lot better now.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Between my financial responsiblites(children) among other things. It just cost me more money than I was making, and child support was taking. On top of that I started dating this drugged up :evil: @#%*& of a woman. She made me depressed for 5 years. But I'm a whole lot better now.
RED FLAG!!!

Bigwill;

Based upon whay I know of CFI, and also of Skywalker's experience with them, you should find them to be a very good company.

About the excuses for the suspension, and driving under a suspended license, that is suffucuent reason for many companies to deny employment for a while.

Speaking as an employer, regarding your remarks about "dating this drugged-up#%@&* of a woman", that would cause me to send your application to the employment round file.

Decent companies have no tolerance for people who blame their failings and problems on other people. The fact that you were apparantly capable of fathering children should serve as an indicator that you were old enough to accept responsibility for your decisions and life choices.

I'm, glad to hear that things are better now, but an honest "I screwed up" response regarding this matter will go a whole lot further than blaming an ex-girlfriend for your woes.

I have talked to many CFI and Melton drivers, and with only two exceptions, they were all a clear cut above the other large carriers. I NEVERheard anyone complain about being shorted on a paycheck. In point of fact, CFI and Melton pay you for the trip when you accept a dispatch, as opposed to after you have closed out your last trip; add to that, they pay practical miles, not HHG miles.

As for their equipment?? It is amongst the best equipment (late model KW's) that I have seen amongst the mega-carriers.

The only complaints that I HAVE heard from several CFI drivers who were not malcontents, is that home time can be something of an issue, and the stays out on the road tend to be longer than most companies who advertise, say, 10 days out + 2 days home.

Actually, I preffered it that way with the company that I drove for.

For me, two days of hometime was enough to reset hours, wash dirty clothes, catch a little extra rest, then head back out. For me, four or five weeks out at a time meant longer stays at home, better miles each week, and better quality of time at home.

In any event, if CFI will accept you, I's say that you'd be hard pressed to do better.