Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My wife's going to take care of the kids while i'm gone. As far as making my ex an excuse, thats not what i was implying. My ex needed help really bad and since she carried my child i made it a point to spend most of my time trying to help her and take care of my child. But i was burnt many, many times. Yeah i could have went out and got my license reinstated then, but it was very important to me to make sure the she was taken care of. Its not her fault that my license was suspended nor was it her fault that it took me so long to get my license back. The part that was so depressing was all the help and money i put into trying to help her to get better. Between her stealing money from me, and spending money to pay bills because she blew, lost or had her's stolen on a monthly basis, it was really hard to take care of my responsiblities. It wasnt all done for the sake of her, it was done for the sake of my daughter. Now that I have moved on from that mess and I have custody of my child, I can focus more on all the responsiblities that I couldn't back then. I've never been the type of person to play the blame game. I should have taken care of these things before she ever came into my life. The fact is, I should have continued to make myself better and still tried to help her the best I could. Even though she hasn't changed as of today. I wasn't making an excuse, I was simply explaining why it took me so long to get my license back. Yeah "I screwed up" by not paying my tickets on time. At that age I thought the ability to drive was a right not a privilege. Thank you for your reply, though. It was very inciteful.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Board Member

remember, just because CFI or any other company says they can hire you with that suspension, DOES NOT mean you will be hired. This industry deals with what is called Prehire. Basically you have been approved to fill out an application and maybe go to orientation. There is a very good chance that you will fill out an application, think everything is great and then their safety dept reviews everything..sees that suspension and the driving while on suspension charges and turns you down.
In this industry, you dont have a job until you are driving that truck.
Just be prepared for something to fall back on.
Because you havent had a license for 12 years, you are going to be very very hard to insure.
To be honest, I would be really suprised if any big company would be able to hire ya.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Board Member

What kind of work are you doing now, BigWill??
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

I was thinking that maybe you shouldnt go into OTR ....right now.
The kids have been through enough turmoil , with failed relationships, screwed up girlfriends, etc etc and now you are considering being gone for at least 2 weeks at a time with only 2 days off, depending on the company you pick.

Maybe getting your house in order should mean more than just getting your license issues straightened out.

But its your decision, I'm just throwing my $0.02
Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 AM
Rookie

Right now I'm currently seeking employment. As far as the prehire post, that's one of the things that I'm worried about. I read on classadrivers.com that a recent student got all the way to CFI's orientation and he was turned away by the safety dept. for some reason or another. He had to find his own way home. I'm afraid that it will happen to me. Which would really SUCK!!! I'm wanting this so bad because its all that I've dreamed about doing. Even now, when a truck passes or I pass a truck i try to guess the truck's brand and the company if its not on the trailer. I really need this for my family and to fulfill my dream of driving big rigs. But on the other had, it doesn't hurt to wait a year to ensure that i have a less chance of being the guy that CFI's safety dept. turned away. I'm giving it a lot of thought. I have til Sept. 5th to make up my mind. Especially since if they dont accept me then i'll be stuck with the rest of my tuition from CDL training school. Hey at least if they dont accept me, by the time i really insurable I'll already have my CDL. I thank you all for your replies and I will really think hard about this decision.