LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Mountaineer
Well it doesn't look too promising at OD. I went to the terminal fri. , it now has a new terminal manager, he didn't seem too interested, said he would check into it, and get back with me if he had a chance before he went on vacation.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......the search continues. Hope everyone is having a safe weekend!

Mountaineer
I'm sure there must be an OTR company you could get into. Maverick takes student drivers now and they'll get you home weekends. If you want to stay in LTL then try Conway. They hire with no experience but the hours can be very erratic in the beginning, feast or famine, on call. Another one is UPS Freight, which is where I'm at now. They wouldnt take you as a driver yet but you could get on as a dock worker and move to driver. We have two different positions, part time dockworker which probably pays 10-12 hr, and full time dock w/cdl which starts at 18.55 I think. They would use you in the city as needed. I dont recall where you're at but the website shows dock w cdl open in Fairmont and part time dock open in Bluefield. If you dont want to go OTR and if you can survive on 10-12 hr try other LTL companies as a dock worker to get your foot in the door. Once they find out you have a cdl they'll figure out a way to use it. You might be able to get on as a jockey too. As I recall you sounded like a pretty crafty ole mountaineer, I'm sure you'll figur sumthin out!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Snowman, sent you a pm.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Looks like I may have found a new home!!! Homerun Inc. a flatbed company in Xenia OH. I will give an update on the job soon, but it looks like a good fit for me, at least to start, with the small amount of experience I have. :wink:

Mountaineer
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Mountaineer
Looks like I may have found a new home!!! Homerun Inc. a flatbed company in Xenia OH. I will give an update on the job soon, but it looks like a good fit for me, at least to start, with the small amount of experience I have. :wink:

Mountaineer
Glad to hear it, Mountaineer! I was concerned. I'm SURE you thought you had been offered a "dream job" and quit ODFL for it, but your timing sucked!

Like someone said, you hadn't been there long enough for it to count as anything. In TRUCKING, the job you had at ODFL (for a newbie) WAS a "dream job," and you might should have kept it!

From what you posted, it sounds like your departure from trucking was for something in the aviation field, I mean IN THE AIR. I can't argue with you that this might have sounded better! I would LOVE to spend my time in the AIR! But, you might need to make a choice. Trucking companies are not real "forgiving" of short duty. Once your "in" trucking, you need to stay the course, and pay your dues. You won't often get a second chance at a GOOD trucking job!

But, we ALL make mistakes! I hope yours won't hamper you too much. Tell us more about your NEW gig!

And say hello to my exwife (your sister!) Oh that's right, she was YOUR wife too at one time, right? :shock: :lol: How's my stepchildren doing? Bubba got his GED yet?? :wink:

You're a "goodun" Mountaineer! I wish you the best!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Trucking companies are not real "forgiving" of short duty. Once your "in" trucking, you need to stay the course, and pay your dues. You won't often get a second chance at a GOOD trucking job!
All true, but I think a guy quitting driving to go back to being a pilot (as I surmise from this thread) might sit better with people than many of the usual stories we hear on CAD. My family got messed up, I got offered a job managing a Burger King, my dog got sick, but NOW I'M SERIOUS ABOUT TRUCKING AND WANT TO START OVER!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Hobo how the heck are you? Bubba says hey! him and his momma are togather now working on a family :lol: he did pass 6th grade this year

Just a short recap, retired from the firehouse as a fireman/medic, went to driving school started trucking at ODFL, got a chance to fly on a helicopter at a local hospital as a medic.......(something I tried to do the whole time I was working at the firehouse) now they are adding long distance ground transport to our duties so now I'm done, it was a good gig while it lasted.

HomeRun Inc. looks like a good deal for me I will keep you posted.
I filled out the app, Talked with the owner, he said if everthing checks out I can start as soon as I can.

Hobo I will tell Bubba and Delbert you said hey! :lol: