User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Also keep in mind that it is better to start off in a lower gear and do some extra upshifting, because this will save you from premature clutch adjustments and premature clutch replacement.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Rookie

Thank You all,

The school I'm going to is pricey. It not a case I want to bust in there and call the shots and tell the instructor every thing I think I know :wink: . It just I don't what to be complete a retard when I get there. Even after the 8 weeks I'll still be a rookie. I just want to know what to look out for and improve my skills. And I hope the instructors will do there part!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Board Icon

Fredog: Thanks. I think. I didn't go to one of the "hiring/training companies." I got my CDL from what SOME here would call a "mill" with "third party testing." But, once I passed, that meant it was MY CDL and no one could refute it. (160 hour course, BTW.)

Our instructors showed us up front how to float gears, but also told us not to even think about trying it until after we had learned to double clutch shifting.

I was given the "distinct" impression that, for my road test, I would be graded on my ability to "manage" the RIG on the road. There were MANY who hit EVERY gear, but, couldn't stay in their lane, or stopped beyond the stripe, etc. A BIG one, was how you handled a gear "search" when it was necessary. Another was simply "following directions."

I'll admit that I had a bit of trouble with the downshift while on the yard, and "floating" was a foreign language, but when the man said take it "out there," I was ready to go!

Our course covered local traffic as well as interstate. Railroad crossings, and bridge signs. I just knew that I could "handle" this rig!

If I wasn't in the right gear, I FOUND one! And THAT is what passed me! I had heard that you would FAIL if you were "coasting," so I found a gear if I had to grind it in! :lol:

I flat out LIED about the sign for the heighth of the bridge! I figured they wouldn't take me under one I couldn't go under! But, they didn't really care. I SAW the "school zone" and reduced my speed. But, I was NEVER "out of gear!"

I don't know what ALL schools are like, but I felt they wanted me to pass. I realize this could be a "monetary" thing for them, but it didn't matter. I KNEW I could drive a rig before I ever WENT there. I just needed a little "road time."

I did NOT get the highest grade for my class, and YES, it hurt! But, only for about one day! Then, I got my job and forgot all about "school."

Within one month, and yes, TEAM training, I was as competent as a noobie as MOST of YOU were after 2 months of "hand holding!" Don't even ASK me how many times I had to park a truck for a noobie "solo" who'd been "turned out" on his own!

It comes down to whether or not you "get it" or you don't! If you FAIL a test, it's because you just haven't "gotten" some aspect of it yet! Neither your instructors NOR the DOT evaluators are out to "get you." They are professionals, and they KNOW within minutes whether or not you are a confident "driver" who can be taught further by your company, or whether you're a WUSS, who might KILL somebody someday, because you just don't "understand" the PROCESS of driving a truck!

I can't stress this enough. Driving a truck is NOT for everybody! But, if you feel YOU can do it, then step up and show some confidence!!

There's no "remedial" education for those who "get by" and then KILL somebody on the road. Once you are OUT THERE, under a full load, you are RESPONSIBLE for everything that happens around you!

You have to be HONEST with yourself! Don't judge yourself by the FIRST time you are at the controls. But, if after a month or so, you are still "weak in the knees," maybe you should consider another line of work!

Oh yeah, this thread was about testing. I say, DRIVE the truck the way you intend to drive it! If that's not good enough to pass, MOST companies will let you work on it a week or so longer. If you STILL can't pass, you probably didn't LEARN how to drive a truck.... and shouldn't be doing so!

Can I make it any more clear?

Good luck to you! But, LUCk has NOTHING to do with it!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Fredog: Thanks. I think. I didn't go to one of the "hiring/training companies." I got my CDL from what SOME here would call a "mill" with "third party testing." But, once I passed, that meant it was MY CDL and no one could refute it. (160 hour course, BTW.)

Our instructors showed us up front how to float gears, but also told us not to even think about trying it until after we had learned to double clutch shifting.

I was given the "distinct" impression that, for my road test, I would be graded on my ability to "manage" the RIG on the road. There were MANY who hit EVERY gear, but, couldn't stay in their lane, or stopped beyond the stripe, etc. A BIG one, was how you handled a gear "search" when it was necessary. Another was simply "following directions."

I'll admit that I had a bit of trouble with the downshift while on the yard, and "floating" was a foreign language, but when the man said take it "out there," I was ready to go!

Our course covered local traffic as well as interstate. Railroad crossings, and bridge signs. I just knew that I could "handle" this rig!

If I wasn't in the right gear, I FOUND one! And THAT is what passed me! I had heard that you would FAIL if you were "coasting," so I found a gear if I had to grind it in! :lol:

I flat out LIED about the sign for the heighth of the bridge! I figured they wouldn't take me under one I couldn't go under! But, they didn't really care. I SAW the "school zone" and reduced my speed. But, I was NEVER "out of gear!"

I don't know what ALL schools are like, but I felt they wanted me to pass. I realize this could be a "monetary" thing for them, but it didn't matter. I KNEW I could drive a rig before I ever WENT there. I just needed a little "road time."

I did NOT get the highest grade for my class, and YES, it hurt! But, only for about one day! Then, I got my job and forgot all about "school."

Within one month, and yes, TEAM training, I was as competent as a noobie as MOST of YOU were after 2 months of "hand holding!" Don't even ASK me how many times I had to park a truck for a noobie "solo" who'd been "turned out" on his own!

It comes down to whether or not you "get it" or you don't! If you FAIL a test, it's because you just haven't "gotten" some aspect of it yet! Neither your instructors NOR the DOT evaluators are out to "get you." They are professionals, and they KNOW within minutes whether or not you are a confident "driver" who can be taught further by your company, or whether you're a WUSS, who might KILL somebody someday, because you just don't "understand" the PROCESS of driving a truck!

I can't stress this enough. Driving a truck is NOT for everybody! But, if you feel YOU can do it, then step up and show some confidence!!

There's no "remedial" education for those who "get by" and then KILL somebody on the road. Once you are OUT THERE, under a full load, you are RESPONSIBLE for everything that happens around you!

You have to be HONEST with yourself! Don't judge yourself by the FIRST time you are at the controls. But, if after a month or so, you are still "weak in the knees," maybe you should consider another line of work!

Oh yeah, this thread was about testing. I say, DRIVE the truck the way you intend to drive it! If that's not good enough to pass, MOST companies will let you work on it a week or so longer. If you STILL can't pass, you probably didn't LEARN how to drive a truck.... and shouldn't be doing so!

Can I make it any more clear?

Good luck to you! But, LUCk has NOTHING to do with it!

I took my cdl test in a friends truck, I stopped driving for a while and the cdl came in while I wasnt driving so I couldnt get grandfathered in, I remember the examiner told me there are few things that are automatic failure, such as shifting when crossing rxr tracks and coasting to a stop.. anyway. like you said, the school should cover these things, the real world will be different anyway. like when I started this job, my boss took me for a road test, I asked if I needed to use the clutch. he said, I know you are going to drive like you want to, but when I am with you, I prefer you to use the clutch
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 AM

Perhaps I was a tad strong but there were a few things said that at face value would cause a failure without further explanation.

Quote:
I always double down, going down 2 gears at once on a flat road to stop.
This is going to be a problem on the test as we had a student get a failure for not hitting each gear.

Quote:
If you have downshifted to 4th gear and are slowing down, you can depress the clutch and coast to a stop, using the brakes, IF you are still "IN" a gear!
This requires additional explanation- While yes, you can "Coast in gear", you cannot go further than the length of the vehicle with the clutch in. This is California rules and I have no clue what other states may throw in.

As I said, I didn't intend to come off like an expert as there is no way I'm even close to that but those few things jumped out to me that could cause a problem. I'm sure all advice was given in the finest sense of trying to be helpful and I love this site for that spirit.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Board Regular

I just took my test last week and doubled down to stop everytime and I didn't fail!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Board Regular

In Ohio for the CDL road test you can double down as long as when you stop you are in a gear. If you coasted to a stop you would have points against you. For the road test in Ohio you have to have at least a 70/100. I know I got points taken off because I luged the engine a few times during my double downs but it was not an automatic failure.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

When I took the CDL test in Iowa we were required to do 4 double down shifts to pass. We were also required to upshift 4 times using all the gears. All had to be done while double-clutching. After the requirements were done they didn't care how you shifted or if you used the clutch.

2 hard grinds were a failure and coasting out of gear over 70' between shifts was a failure.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 PM

Exactly my point guys. Different states are different and there are differences from examiner to examiner as well so you can't just make blanket statements to someone from who knows where. The original poster didn't tell us where they are at so we have no clue what the rules are so it's kind of tough to give good information.

Best to follow the advice of the instructors who have knowledge of the local examiners and rules. My instructors gave us the inside scoop on each examiner and what their little pet peeves were and how to win them over and most importantly "What not to do".

Like I said folks, I'm no expert and I'd laugh like hell if anybody called me one but I do have a background in training and testing. Always best to let the folks who's job it is to get people to pass tests do the teaching.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom Flash
Perhaps I was a tad strong but there were a few things said that at face value would cause a failure without further explanation.

Quote:
I always double down, going down 2 gears at once on a flat road to stop.
This is going to be a problem on the test as we had a student get a failure for not hitting each gear.

Quote:
If you have downshifted to 4th gear and are slowing down, you can depress the clutch and coast to a stop, using the brakes, IF you are still "IN" a gear!
This requires additional explanation- While yes, you can "Coast in gear", you cannot go further than the length of the vehicle with the clutch in. This is California rules and I have no clue what other states may throw in.

As I said, I didn't intend to come off like an expert as there is no way I'm even close to that but those few things jumped out to me that could cause a problem. I'm sure all advice was given in the finest sense of trying to be helpful and I love this site for that spirit.

you are correct sir, I missed the post where that was said