User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interested in Trucking, not sure where to start

Hello all. I've been lurking on these boards for a while and have a few questions I hope I can get help with. I am single, 30, with no kids, and a decent education. I live on my own in Austin, TX, but I will be leaving my current job in manufacturing the first week of August (voluntary buyout). From there I'm not sure where I'll go except back to Tennessee once my lease is up on my apartment at the end of September.

First, I know virtually nothing about driving a truck. Is there a good resource with details on what is involved with trucking and what I'll need to do to get started? I'm looking for something that is a broad overview, but with specific details about schooling and licensing.

Does it matter where I do my schooling and get my license? Since I plan to move back to TN in a couple of months, can I still do my schooling in TX?

What kind of license will I need? Are there other certifications I should look at?

How much training can I expect to get with whatever company I work for?

Is there a place I can go to ride with a trucker for a trip to see what it's like and whether I would like it?

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, do I need mechanical knowledge to be a driver?

Thanks for reading this and any information you can provide.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Does it matter where I do my schooling and get my license? Since I plan to move back to TN in a couple of months, can I still do my schooling in TX?
No, it does not really matter where you attend a CDL program. When you attend it does matter however. Many companies do not want to see more than 30 days pass between completion of the school and starting your first job.

Quote:
What kind of license will I need? Are there other certifications I should look at?
If you are wanting to drive a tractor trailer then you will need a Class A CDL with air brakes at the very minimum. To maximize employment choices however it would be a good idea to also obtain a haz mat endorsement and a doubles and triples endorsement.

Quote:
How much training can I expect to get with whatever company I work for?
You can expect to spend 4-6 weeks with a trainer at your first company. During this time you will be doing the job. How good the training is will depend on how good the teacher is.

Quote:
s there a place I can go to ride with a trucker for a trip to see what it's like and whether I would like it?
Unless you know a truck driver who is willing and able to take you along the answer is no.

Quote:
I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, do I need mechanical knowledge to be a driver?
No you do not need much mechanical ability to drive a truck. You will be taught the basics of what to look for to ensure your truck, trailer, and cargo is safe for operation. For the most part if you can check the oil and tire pressure on your car then you will be OK. In fact most companies do not want drivers doing any mechanical work on the trucks much beyond that.

A couple of web sites for you to check out that you may find helpful are:

www.truckschoolsusa.com
www.newbiedriver.com
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Awesome post uturn. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

No, it does not really matter where you attend a CDL program. When you attend it does matter however. Many companies do not want to see more than 30 days pass between completion of the school and starting your first job.
Just want to add to this:

What ever school you do choose, it would be best if it were certified by the Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI), most companies you will apply to find this desireabe.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know what part of Tennessee you plan on moving, but there are several accredited state schools around. There are also private schools you can attend.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Rookie

TN Tech Center @ Memphis and Nashville have PTDI truck school. My husband and I will be going to TN Tech Center @ Knoxville - if the school has the same curriculum as a PTDI participating sister school, and it can be easily verified, then a potential employer MAY work with you.

You'll find a big difference in the cost between PTDI certified schools and school that are not. It's very important to confirm the curriculum and hours prior to shelling out any money though.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Chattanooga State has a driving school. They seem to do a good job of placing their drivers after completion.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Board Regular

Whatever you do, don't sign away your soul to a company based trucking school!!! With you being a displaced worker, your state may have a programs to help you train for a new career. That is what I did up here in Pa. Check with your unemployment office. You will probably have to do your training in the state you live in now if they have any programs.