User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Maybe its because the hiring standards are tougher for jobs like that. I know for the tanker jobs Ive recently been trying to fill, they are really tough...Ive talked to about 50 drivers who want the job, out of those I have only found 3 that qualify.
Also there arent as many tankers out there as dry vans and such, so naturally, you would see less wrecks with them.
:shock: Didn't know that JB Hunt even ran tankers.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Maybe its because the hiring standards are tougher for jobs like that. I know for the tanker jobs Ive recently been trying to fill, they are really tough...Ive talked to about 50 drivers who want the job, out of those I have only found 3 that qualify.
Also there arent as many tankers out there as dry vans and such, so naturally, you would see less wrecks with them.
:shock: Didn't know that JB Hunt even ran tankers.
Our beloved Sheepdancer also recruits for other companies now. You can tell the different by the amount of qualification the other companies have rather than JB, the happier the drivers seem to be with those companies, and the higher the pay is at those other companies, again, in comparison to JB.

So to make sense of this, he get to fool around with a younger, hotter babe (the other companies), and gets to leave the old bat (JB Hunt) at home.

Did I come close to explaining this right, Sheepdancer? :lol: :lol: :P :P

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 07-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian griffin
It's pretty regoddamndangerous. It's regodamdiculous. That's how dangerous it is regardless what anyone says.

I think tankers should only be allowed to operate between the hours of 11pm and 7am. No exceptions.

I've never hauled tankers and NEVER WILL.
You are totally right. Gas is a bomb. There should be more pay to do this job, and what ever the pay is, I won't never haul gas.

Don't listen to all the recruiter's here, they want to make it look like its just another day at the beach.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It's pretty regoddamndangerous. It's regodamdiculous. That's how dangerous it is regardless what anyone says.
Having hauled gasoline, avgas, jet fuel, diesel fuel, and now again hauling chemicals (hazardous and non-hazardous)..... I can tell you this: The greatest danger resides with the tanker driver and his or her level of attention to their driving. But then again, the same is true with people driving cars and riding bicycles.

Beyond that, I found that the biggest single danger I encountered when hauling fuels, was the idiots that would walk up to where I was dropping gas....with a lit cigarette, or about to light one with a match or a lighter. I also had morons run over the bright day-glo orange cones put out to warn people away from the hoses....and I even had one moron run over my hoses.....

Hauling a compartmented fuel tanker is not comparable to hauling a single compartment tanker. There is virtually no surge, just a little side slosh..... Chemical tankers are not baffled, nor are food grade tankers.

Quote:
I think tankers should only be allowed to operate between the hours of 11pm and 7am. No exceptions.
Apparently you don't spend much time out late at night.... There are many places where fuel tankers do their deliveries between those hours. When I hauled fuel....my day started around 2 AM. But if fuel tankers were restricted to those hours..... you would never get fuel. You wouldn't be able to find even 1/3rd of the drivers necessary to deliver the quantities needed.

Personally, I think you know very little about tankers and tanker operations. The hiring requirements in the tanker industry are far more stringent than the rest of the trucking industry. Tanker drivers have fewer accidents, get fewer tickets, and have higher safety ratings than most all others. Also, the turnover rate for drivers in the tanker sector is generally around 20%....with the majority of those leaving the companies doing so because they are retiring.

Quote:
Good.

Tanker work is no more dangerous than eating ice cream. But if you are a careless person.....or have dangerous driving habits, then tanker work is not for you.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Default re tankers

""Personally, I think you know very little about tankers and tanker operations. The hiring requirements in the tanker industry are far more stringent than the rest of the trucking industry. Tanker drivers have fewer accidents, get fewer tickets, and have higher safety ratings than most all others. Also, the turnover rate for drivers in the tanker sector is generally around 20%....with the majority of those leaving the companies doing so because they are retiring""

""Tanker work is no more dangerous than eating ice cream. But if you are a careless person.....or have dangerous driving habits, then tanker work is not for you.""

very well put!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
hey "skywalker".............hope all is well.......stay safe... :wink:
Old 07-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Board Regular

I haul gasoline, av gas, Jet A, diesel and well I think it's a great job. Safety is definately something that is on your mind all the time. You have a routine that you follow and you never want to hurry on what you are doing. Just keep a good flow to your job and verify your numbers and make sure you get the right product into the right hole.

The pay around here for tank truck drivers is around 60-70k/yr. The benefits are pretty reasonable. I try a tridum axle trailer around town. I have less experience. Some of the guys in my company haul Super-B's around town into Gas stations! lol, I feel sorry for them sometimes. I don't know I want to be hauling Super-B's into gas stations that are so small and so tight to get in and out of you wonder why it's still even there.

It's the kind of job you can do for a life time if you can handle doing a little bit more work than driving. Maybe having to lift the hoses out of the truck and what have you and hook everything up. More work than the average truck driver
Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
Quote:

You are totally right. Gas is a bomb. There should be more pay to do this job, and what ever the pay is, I won't never haul gas.

Don't listen to all the recruiter's here, they want to make it look like its just another day at the beach.
I'm not, nor never will be, a recruiter.

And if you knew what you were talking about, you would know the gas is not a bomb, it's fuel. Only idiots drivers who shoot their mouths off without ever know what is involved think as you do.

But you keep thinking that way. More job security for me. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find that funny because on of the biggest locally owned gas haulers in my area will hire drivers right out of trucking school. Guess they feel that you don't need any experience to haul a tanker full of flammable liquid. :roll:
It may be that some of the companies that do that, will do it because they can get their hands on a new driver....who probably has zero tickets, zero accidents on his MVR, who did very well in his/her schooling, made a good impression and handled the interview process well, also did very well on a driving test.

Also, if they can get the right candidate....they can train them to safely and properly do the job.....before they end up working for a bottomfeeder company and acquire a whole raft of bad driving and work habits.

They probably spend far more time in the training process than any "freighthauler" outfit will ever spend on them. Go figure, huh?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Seriously, How dangerous is it really?.... Hauling fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
I'm wondering how dangerous is it really hauling fuel? You don't see many accidents with tankers as you see with other types of trucking?

Any input?
Hauling fuel is no more dangerous than any other tanker hauling. As long as the driver is aware of what the product in the tank they are pulling can do all will be fine. I just tell drivers who are interested as long as they respect the load and don't drive STUPID, fuel hauling can be quite rewarding.
Just think fuel haulers don't have to wait long hours at a grocery warehouse and they don't have to touch the freight... I do enjoy hauling fuel!!!

I will add this: I lost a friend who wrecked his tank truck trying to avoid a tourist. I saw the wreck and tried to rescue him to no avail. It still bothers me today but I continue to haul fuel in honour of him!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Rookie

A couple years ago in Lima, Ohio an SUV either ran a stoplight or pulled in front of a tanker and the semi hit it. The trucker got out and ran. A girl in the SUV got out and ran. The Dr. driving the suv didn't and he burned up along with the whole intersection. The intersection was closed for months due to the damage. Nah, it's not dangerous.