User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need help in san diego..

Forgive the newbie question but.. what does "LTL" mean??? I am looking for a company that will help me get a class A cdl(already have class B with hazmat/tank) and I am willing to work the docks for awhile or whatever else it takes. I want to work locally. I was thinking it might be easier since I am in a big city(San Diego) but I am having trouble finding a company that doesnt require experience. Thanks for any possible help/advice.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you talked with these guy's? Matheson Fast Freight
Address: 9310 Activity Rd, San Diego, CA 92126
Phone: (858) 577-0210
http://www.mathesonfreight.com/
They may give you a chance. They have Class "B" equipment, and if you prove yourself driving those trucks, they may well assist you in upgrading to a class A.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Rookie

thanks orange.. I called them... they arent hiring but I will submit my resume and they will keep it active for 6 months.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Rookie

Hubby got his license through the ROP program in San Diego. It's free. It worked out great for us because he could choose what company he wanted to work for and we didn't start out in debt.

He's been working for SRT for a year now and loves it. (misses home, but loves the road)

You also might try calling SRT. I'm not sure how they work it out, but I know another guy that went through orientation/training with hubby went to school paid by SRT.

Hubby has a blog with some info on his adventure if you want to check it out. www.atruckerandhiswife.blogspot.com
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

LTL means Less than TruckLoad. Usually local and/or union gigs will do a lot of LTL stuff which covers mutiples stops.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Rookie

thanks everyone for the great answers so far!!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Board Icon

LTL means:

Lots of Tiny Loads, that "I" will have to unload at my MANY stops during my LONG day!

Probably five stops a day, ALL unloaded by YOU, in tight docks made for a straight truck! Doing LUMPER work for driver pay.

This, apparently, is the local driver's DREAM!

But, HEY! You get to sleep in your own bed at night, and pretend you're a truck driver! :roll:

If you want to stay close to home, at LEAST go with an outfit that calls it "regional" OTR. That way you get the OTR experience, and get home several times a week.

I haven't unloaded a single load in over 2 years, and don't PLAN to! Let alone, breaking my back to unload 5 or more loads a day!

Truck driving schools will PUSH employment with companies like Werner, who have a "dedicated" Dollar General account for those who are stupid enough to fill their seats!

You pay them 5 grand, and they get you a LUMPER job, with a little driving in between stops! :roll:

Someone on another thread said he got a job with a beer distributor with a PERMIT! That means they just need LUMPERS!

If you just want to stay close to home, LUMP cases of beer or whatever all day, and CALL yourself a Truck Driver, GO FOR IT!

But, IMHO, that's NOT what a truck driver is all about!

LINEHAUL is where "it's at!" Coast to coast, and all points inbetween! Long days, and long nights (for you "solar powered drivers"') :lol:

See the country from the seat of a long haul truck, or see the city streets! That's your choice! OTR drivers are the "MODAL" part of "intermodal." I pass more trains than I do 4wheelers!

Most of those trains haul Swift, Hunt, or Schneider containers, because they can get them there SOONER! You won't find one of MY company's trailers on a train!

How many times have I heard, "I want to work local?" Why do they even require a CDL-A for these lumper jobs??

Just get a "B" license and haul stuff from the docks to the nearest store that needs it! Call yourself a "delivery boy" and get on with your life!

I'm sure they have such jobs in Diego. If not from the ships which bring it in, then from a REAL trucker who brings it in OVER THE ROAD!

Heck, you could probably make as much money driving a pickup truck for a Mexican!

Was that a bit harsh? Yeah, I supose so. But, you live in the very southwest corner of this country, and want to STAY there! So do so! But, don't think that makes you a trucker!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Rookie

thanks "golfhobo" and no I wouldnt consider that post harsh... just your interpretation of reality... and i APPRECIATE the words or wisdom. I have young twin girls(4 and a half yrs) hence my desire to stay close to home.... if not for them... I would MUCH prefer coast to coast. Thanks again. And dont worry... I WONT consider or call myself a trucker quite yet!!!! :wink:
Old 07-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceehound619
thanks "golfhobo" and no I wouldnt consider that post harsh... just your interpretation of reality... and i APPRECIATE the words or wisdom. I have young twin girls(4 and a half yrs) hence my desire to stay close to home.... if not for them... I would MUCH prefer coast to coast. Thanks again. And dont worry... I WONT consider or call myself a trucker quite yet!!!! :wink:
Okay, if you didn't find that HARSH, then you qualify as a trucker! :lol:

Now you want to make me feel guilty cuz you got little girls? :shock: :lol:

Well... I can't argue with THAT! Had ONE once, myself!

Now, let's get down to facts. You say you've already GOT a "B" with hazmat and tanker? What kind of jobs are being offered?

If you NEED a CDL-A, then get it! I would think there are LOTS of jobs available to haul produce from the border "area" up to places like Oxnard, Santa Maria, or Salinas! But, let's face facts. Your area, I believe, offers only Mexican produce to those areas for transport to eastern cities.

But, if you could find such a job, it would give you OTR experience ( I think ) and keep you within a day's journey from those beautiful young girls!

Otherwise, it MAY require an "A" license to haul BEER, and there are several distributors in the area, but it is hard work. If you can't get on with THEM, try bottled WATER distributors! Really.... this is big time these days!

I've long since forgotten your original question. But, I hope I have helped (in my immutable way.) I suppose you have allready searched your local "ESC" website for local dirver jobs. It is usually depressing, to say the least.

Here is my BEST advice! (Send me a "c" note when you are flush!) Get a Trucker's Atlas, and study where the TRUCK ROUTES are within a 50 mile radius of Diego. Then, get in your Mazda (or whatever you drive) and go DRIVE those routes!

You will see MANY signs up on the side of the road saying, DRIVERS NEEDED! Most of these are LOCAL jobs, and probably NOT posted with the ESC. Stop in and TALK to them! It is SO much easier for you when you're not dragging a 53' trailer!!

I sure hope you speak Spanish! Habla Espanol? Do NOT be disuaded by the meager looks of the trailer that is the "employment office." Many of these "outfits" are connected to some of the biggest corporations in your area!

Stop and talk to each ONE of them! You NEVER know when you will find that "diamond in the rough."

I REALLY hope this helps you! If I can think of anything else, I will post it. I LOVE the Diego area! And I can't really blame you for wanting to stay close to that area.... and your girls!

I would love to see a picture of them, if you could post it!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: need help in san diego..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceehound619
Forgive the newbie question but.. what does "LTL" mean??? I am looking for a company that will help me get a class A cdl(already have class B with hazmat/tank) and I am willing to work the docks for awhile or whatever else it takes. I want to work locally. I was thinking it might be easier since I am in a big city(San Diego) but I am having trouble finding a company that doesnt require experience. Thanks for any possible help/advice.
ceehound...I guess I missed the haz/tank portion of your post. Have you looked into getting your Class A upgrade? If you want to stay local, and have the clean history you need for HazMat, why not look into Benito, Williams, COOL, or a couple of the other tanker companies that are down that way? You will definately be working the bottom of the board, with weekend night shifts..but then ...nightshift down there is better than dayshift...as far as tanker delivery goes. Plus..you will be making decent $$$ and home each day.