User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for advice

First off, I really appreciate everyone on this board sharing their knowledge and opinions. It's saved me a lot of heartache I'm sure, knowing which companies to avoid.
I only got 4 months OTR and a bunch more local experience which don't seem to count, so I'm kinda limited in who I can go with. Also 1 accdient (non DOT reportable) and one suspension for a medical reason which I got cleared up now.
I tried to get into tankers, no luck. Not enough experience. So these are the companies I've narrowed it down to:

Maverick. I like the idea of being home most weekends. They also got a good rep on these boards. I've never done flatbed though, but they seem like they might train me.

Crete Good money, but the hometime ain't what I'd like. Still, great reputation.

PTL They seem ok and they got a terminal in Mobile which is about 10 minutes from me.

CFI Another one that's got a terminal and don't have that bad a rep. Also I think they are owned by the same folks who own CTL, so maybe I could transition from van into tanker if I went with this company?

Dauphin Probably the worst rep of my choices, though still not bad. What I do like about them a lot is that they seem real flexible on the hometime, like I could be out 6 days then off 2 instead of the 1 that everyone else seems to be offering.

So any mistakes in my thinking here fellas? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

First off, decide what is most, 2nd most, 3rd most...etc important to you. Then decide what you are willing to compromise on. Then find a company that meets those needs.

If flexible hometime options are what you are looking for, take a look at Knight. Between the OTR and local experience I am sure you would qualify as far as that is concerned.

PTL can be an OK company to work for so long as they are not over recruiting again. I worked for them for a short time a few years ago and they were bringing in new drivers so fast that they had them sitting around for 1-2 weeks in a motel waiting on trucks......not to mention existing drivers who were doing the same waiting on new trucks. I left because the truck I was assigned needed some major work as I was breaking down all the time, but because of the lack of trucks they were reluctant to put it into the shop.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

maverick...wish they had a local gig.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I could be out 6 days then off 2 instead of the 1
Just want to add my 2cents:

When companies advertise "hometime" policy, they generally are refering to your acquired days off relative to the days on the road. Meaning for every "6days on the road you will "earn" 1day (or 2) off.
Most OTR drivers when coming off "hometime" must drive 6-7days, then they can request their next "hometime", which generally needs to be at least 1 week from the date of request. (to allow dispatch time to plan you back into your home area)
Check with the companies to clarify the "hometime" policy.
Are you home after 6 days on the road?
Is there a minimum time you must be on the road before "hometime"

You do not necessarily have to live near a terminal for convenient hometime. If you live along a major shipping lane for the company, you may beable to get "through the house" while still on the road. Just depends on where you live.
Usually the best and most predictalble hometime comes from regional or dedicated accounts within the companies.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

CFI does not own CTL.

Two very different families.

CTL is owned by the family that owns "COMCAR"

CFI is owned by the daughter and son of its founder.

I would think that CTL would hire you to do tank work.....they train school graduates to do tank work.... But you have to live within a certain distance of one of their terminals. If you are interested in tanks....talk to them.

CFI is a good company.... I drove for them for 7 years. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I can't speak for all Crete drivers, but I don't have a problem with home time at all. I go out and after about 10-12 days I put in for H/T and I get it no problem. I don't even remember what the policy is, I run as hard as I safely can and when I take time nobody complains.(got home today and staying till 7/18.) Not bad !
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I can't speak for all Crete drivers, but I don't have a problem with home time at all. I go out and after about 10-12 days I put in for H/T and I get it no problem. I don't even remember what the policy is, I run as hard as I safely can and when I take time nobody complains.(got home today and staying till 7/18.) Not bad !
Good point, Fleet Managers (dispatchers) have a lot of leaway considering
company policies....the more you are "in" with your FM the better off you
will be, concerning all aspects of your life on the road. If you continually
perform to the best of your ability, conform to HOS, on time performance
take less desirable loads without complaint, etc etc. You will find your FM
will be very flexible when it comes to the need of his "prize" drivers.
Come to think of it Im not really sure of my companies "hometime" policy
without looking it up in the Company handbook, but I know its pretty
typical.
When I want my time off I tell my FM when/where/and for how long, and
its generally never a problem, even if it doesnt "conform" to company
policies.