User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What do you think I should do?

Ever since I was a little tike I've loved big rigs. When I received my driver's license, I told myself that after high school I was going to go to truck driving school. That didnt pan out the way I wanted it to. My driver's license was suspended for not paying a no insurance ticket in time. It has taken me ten years before I was able to get my license back. On top of that I had a couple driving under suspension tickets. Now that I've gotten my license back, I'm very focused on getting a trucking career. But no trucking company will touch me because they want me to at least have my drivers license for one year. CFI trucking company will take me but I have to come up with 1700.00+ dollar to go to school through them. I cant come up with that kind of money. Hell it took all 800.00 of my savings to get my license back. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there is another option for me. I really want to get into trucking to better support my family. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. I know that there has to be a good company out there that will take a chance on me, I just dont know who they are, and I wont make them regret it. Can anyone help me? Thank you all for your time.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 PM

There are many companies that offer to pay for school if you agree to sell your soul, I mean work for them a certain amount of time. These are a lot of times the "starter companies" or "trainer companies" like Schnieder, C R England, Swift, and a lot of the large otr carriers. Most of them will require you to work for a year to 18 months or pay them back for the schooling/training. You may want to give Arrow trucking out of Tulsa a call. They only require you to work for them for 6 months last I heard and are good about giving drivers a chance. They are not a bad outfit to start off with IMO, and after the 6 months you have a lot more choices than you have now. Good luck
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Trucking will still be around a year or two from now. Allow that time to build a good recent MVR which will help you big time in finding work in the field. Also use that time to save up money. Beyond any tuition costs you need to have enough money to pay your bills and to eat on for between 1 and 2 months as it will take that long before you have any kind of paycheck coming in.