User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

whats realy funny is that , the red shoe barn is about 1/2 a mile down the road from where the bridge is rotflmao ,, but he did not notice it until then
Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Less than a mile away from his destination of Goss International, Peiffer was riding down Broadway, checking his GPS system to get a better idea of where the company was located.
Well golly gee wizz, according to all the "new" drivers, a GPS is the best thing to have in your truck. Who needs a trucker's atlas and a cell phone to CALL AND ASK FOR DIRECTIONS when you have a GPS unit that was made for use in a car!

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Does someone feel a draft????? :shock:
Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon
Quote:
How can you "not" notice that your trailer had just been ripped off and the roof of your cab peeled back? Talk about "brain dead"
(it was a sunny day in Dover NH @ 10:18).....driver Oneloadshy (into cell phone while looking at GPS)..."yeah baby I'm sorry, I know you're right you always".....uhhhuuuh...."sorry babe, musta been those dang potholes in this town".....what was that baby?...oh yea"..."hmmm ya know, this truck sure accelerates better now, wonder why"

lmao...I was going to say the samething you beat me to it..."6mpg my tail I'm better than that.."It's clowns like this that make it hard for me to get a good job right out of school.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Less than a mile away from his destination of Goss International, Peiffer was riding down Broadway, checking his GPS system to get a better idea of where the company was located.
Well golly gee wizz, according to all the "new" drivers, a GPS is the best thing to have in your truck. Who needs a trucker's atlas and a cell phone to CALL AND ASK FOR DIRECTIONS when you have a GPS unit that was made for use in a car!
Yep, and how many times have I and others made this same point about being alittle too wrapped up in a GPS????

It only takes one occasion like this to wreck your life, someone elses, and possibly even to completely ruin a career.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, and how many times have I and others made this same point about being alittle too wrapped up in a GPS????

It only takes one occasion like this to wreck your life, someone elses, and possibly even to completely ruin a career.
You can make the point until you are blue in the face. Fact remains, the new breed relies too much on high tech gadgets. I have come to the conclusion that the CDL mills no longer teach basic map reading skills and that company trainers teach how to use high tech gadgets. There is nothing wrong with having a laptop(I have one) and a GPS unit in the truck BUT you still need to know how to read a map and be able to call and ask fror directions. Most of the GPS units on the market a for cars, not big trucks. I know of only one GPS(stand alone, not CO-Pilot) that is made for big trucks but it cost right now about $1100.00.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Forget the gps, a trucker atlas, or a cb, or a phone call the sipper/recvr
would have prevented this If you cant tell a bridge or over pass high line wire, or whatever looks too low you should't be driving a truck. Hell at 9'
that would hit about somewere around the visor, I'd been hittin the floorboard at that height. This trucker wasn't just paying attn to his/her
gps, c'mon I don't beleive that for a second. Think about a 6' tall person
standing at your truck door? (my two grown sons are over 6' and can't stand on the ground and look in the side glass of my truck ) A yard stick taller than that would be where??
Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
"I wasn't even paying attention. I didn't even see this thing, completely," said Peiffer, who has worked for the Ohio-based trucking company JKAT Enterprises for only three months.
He was to busy looking at the GPS unit to notice the sign, the yellow flashing lights, the overpass. Didn't even relize that he lost the trailer and made sunroof in the tractor until AFTER he came out the other side.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
You are right about that, I have never used a GPS, I only rely on my maps and directions from the customer. I have found that most customers can give you better directions and can usually tell you which routes to avoid.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 AM

Well golly gee wizz, according to all the "new" drivers, a GPS is the best thing to have in your truck. Who needs a trucker's atlas and a cell phone to CALL AND ASK FOR DIRECTIONS when you have a GPS unit that was made for use in a car![/quote]

You are right about that, I have never used a GPS, I only rely on my maps and directions from the customer. I have found that most customers can give you better directions and can usually tell you which routes to avoid.[/quote]

I love all the new gadgets too, but I guess that comes from starting trucking before cell phones, quallcoms, and laptops. Call the customer.. but I hate the recorded directions I guess I just write slow. Wonder what these guys would do if they had to find a payphone without gps to call the customer :shock: