User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

They are all the same suits. Thats 2 major suits.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you talking about the suits that were either class action or where there were a number of drivers filing against Prime, and the Judge ordered the suits combined because they addressed the same issues, and combining them would prevent those suits from tying up the courts for years. I'm pretty sure thats the case one way or the other.

century... I have known a some people who did well at Prime. They said they did, and one of them was a guy that worked at CFI for a long time. When I last saw him, he said he was on his third lease. He liked it. But he also stated that the only way it was working for him was that he never went home. He was divorced, didn't even have a home. Stayed with his dad if he ever did go home. He clearly said that the key to success with Prime was that you had to stay out for very long periods of time. Forget going home every two to three weeks for 3 or 4 days off.

Others I talked to said precisely the same thing. I do believe that it is the inherent problem with all leases.

Having owned three businesses, and put in the hours it takes to make a business work....I can appreciate the efforts that go to making a trucking business work. To me the "mechanics" of a "trucking" business at least from the L/O's point of view would be somewhat less complicated in that you don't have as many overall concerns. But as a L/O....you are the business, thus you have to keep that business running, which means if that truck is sitting, you are technically losing money while it is not moving. Time off at home or anywhere else is non-replaceable money lost.

Now, you have stated that you did extremely well. Ok, thats fair. But lets define the parameters of how you got there. Were you one of their "Golden Boys"... Would you run the load no matter what? How many logbooks did you use at one time? Did you and your spouse run team?
What were your personal financial requirements. What actual financial sacrifices did you make to be able to save enough money to retire at a young age of 51? Do you have a military retirement check or other retirement checks or disability income?

Not trying to be a smartass....just a pragmatic realist. As said earlier, I know what it takes to own and run a business. I also understand financials. And I have yet to see a lease that will realistically allow the L/O to live like a normal human being. One must at some point remove the shackles from the ankles and take personal time with ones family and self.

What fits one man's desires will crush another's hopes and dreams. Many people who succumb to the lure of promises without having any background experience. Thus, caution is advised all around.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Board Regular

I wasnt married, and I ran 100% leagal. You could say I have military retirement but not much after my ex wife got her share. That retirement has nothing to do with driving for Prime. I wasnt a big spender in the truck stops.

And yes all those suits you speak off is the same suits rehashed over and over.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

I understand your situation. In some it may work, but in others it won't. Right? 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Board Regular

To answer your question...your right but it has nothing to do with Prime. It has to do with someones work ethic and spending habits.

One thing I found to hold true is if you run any and every load to help out a dispatcher then they will just pay you what the rate is and abuse your nature. If you help em out when they are in a jam and need to get their load assignment taken care of then they are willing to pay the rate and a little extra to get the load off their board. Everything in trucking is a negotiation. It all boils down to your work ethic and your word.

The same holds true for anything in life...not just driving a truck.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by century451
To answer your question...your right but it has nothing to do with Prime. It has to do with someones work ethic and spending habits.

One thing I found to hold true is if you run any and every load to help out a dispatcher then they will just pay you what the rate is and abuse your nature. If you help em out when they are in a jam and need to get their load assignment taken care of then they are willing to pay the rate and a little extra to get the load off their board. Everything in trucking is a negotiation. It all boils down to your work ethic and your word.

The same holds true for anything in life...not just driving a truck.
I will grant you that..... because its like that in most any type of work.